Pass through taxation ( s corp) in Senate bill.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't really disagree with you at all Blade but I find it amusing that people care about the federal deficit now with Trump in office when before no one really cared as long as they were getting free stuff. The ACA clearly overestimated it's savings and drastically underestimated the cost it would impose and yet it wasn't really talked about. I'm really just over the whole two party system, neither of which really seem to care for the country or the citizens.

Personally, I'd just like to see a simplified tax code where I just look at my bracket and pay that percent. No write-offs, deductions, work-arounds, or whatever other name you want to call it. Of course, that would kill a whole lot of CPA jobs but would ensure everyone is "paying their fair share".

Tax Reform:

1. Corporate Tax 22%

2. Personal Tax: No deductions or write-offs. 3-4 brackets.

Pretty simple but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Members don't see this ad.

Tax Reform:

1. Corporate Tax 22%

2. Personal Tax: No deductions or write-offs. 3-4 brackets.

Pretty simple but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
Not only will this never happen, it would lay waste to the US Economy. How long of a period would it take to phase this in? What happens to all the debt and house price subsidization we're doing? Home values (many people's biggest asset) would plummet for starters. If you're building a NEW system, I don't disagree with your premise but you can't implement something like that at this point.

Not only will this never happen, it would lay waste to the US Economy. How long of a period would it take to phase this in? What happens to all the debt and house price subsidization we're doing? Home values (many people's biggest asset) would plummet for starters. If you're building a NEW system, I don't disagree with your premise but you can't implement something like that at this point.

Ok, what Blade said and it starts in 2030. Gives the CPAs and IRS agents time to go to truck driving school or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, what Blade said and it starts in 2030. Gives the CPAs and IRS agents time to go to truck driving school or whatever.
You missed my point. Say this is announced tomorrow. You don't think that OVERNIGHT, your house value drops significantly? Mortgage deductions, for better or worse, are VERY important to home prices. How about all that student loan debt that can no longer be deducted?

You missed my point. Say this is announced tomorrow. You don't think that OVERNIGHT, your house value drops significantly? Mortgage deductions, for better or worse, are VERY important to home prices. How about all that student loan debt that can no longer be deducted?

Fair enough, what would you propose?

Tax religious institutions. They own billions of dollars in assets and property and don't pay taxes. The GOP bill has provisions to allow political activism by religious institutions while still keeping their tax-exempt status. That is an open spigot of untaxed money going right into political campaigns.

Oh yeah, this tax bill has nothing to do with politics and financing campaigns. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
I don't really disagree with you at all Blade but I find it amusing that people care about the federal deficit now with Trump in office when before no one really cared as long as they were getting free stuff. The ACA clearly overestimated it's savings and drastically underestimated the cost it would impose and yet it wasn't really talked about. I'm really just over the whole two party system, neither of which really seem to care for the country or the citizens.

Personally, I'd just like to see a simplified tax code where I just look at my bracket and pay that percent. No write-offs, deductions, work-arounds, or whatever other name you want to call it. Of course, that would kill a whole lot of CPA jobs but would ensure everyone is "paying their fair share".

Here's how much debt the US government added under President Obama

Debt increased the most under Obama than any other President. Where was the concern over national debt during the last 8 years?

I was concerned then too. The benefit was at least Obama wasn’t a repugnant human.

Obama was just a murderer who bombed Libya illegally, worsened the Iraq crisis creating ISIS, unmasked his political opponents and turned the IRS on political opponents. Dont really miss the dude too much.

Obama was just a murderer who bombed Libya illegally, worsened the Iraq crisis creating ISIS, unmasked his political opponents and turned the IRS on political opponents. Dont really miss the dude too much.

Love the crazy stuff

Last edited:
Love the crazy stuff

Didn't Obama illegally kill Gaddafi without any UN mandate in violation of international law and leading Libya into a civil war?

Didn't Obama allow ISIS to develop in Iraq/Syria while supplying Sunni radicals in the civil war that developed in Syria?

Didn't Obama "unmask" political opponents under the guise of "investigating Russia" which is unprecedented in history?

Didn't Obama increase the debt MORE than any other President in US history?

I agree it is crazy to be so delusional to pretend that Obama was a "swell" guy comparatively.

Didn't Obama illegally kill Gaddafi without any UN mandate in violation of international law and leading Libya into a civil war?

Didn't Obama allow ISIS to develop in Iraq/Syria while supplying Sunni radicals in the civil war that developed in Syria?

Didn't Obama "unmask" political opponents under the guise of "investigating Russia" which is unprecedented in history?

I agree it is crazy to be so delusional to pretend that Obama was a "swell" guy comparatively.

Just curious, where do you get your news?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, where do you get your news?

Just curious, if I don't take CNN/Washington Post/NYT/ABC as the gospel of "truth", I must be "ignorant" huh?

CNN Corrects a Trump Story, Fueling Claims of ‘Fake News’

ABC Suspends Reporter Brian Ross Over Erroneous Report About Trump

Trump tells Washington Post to fire 'fake news' reporter | Daily Mail Online

and many more in the last week. Funny how their "mistakes" are always slanted against Republicans and Trump. Must be a coincidence then huh?

Oh wait:

Could it be the Washington elite have a slanted view and hostile opinion of Trump/conservative Republicans which affect which stories they cover? Nah couldn't be.

Last edited:
Just curious, if I don't take CNN/Washington Post/NYT/ABC as the gospel of "truth", I must be "ignorant" huh?

and many more in the last week. Funny how their "mistakes" are always slanted against Republicans and Trump. Must be a coincidence then huh?

Oh wait:

Could it be the Washington elite have a slanted view and hostile opinion of Trump/conservative Republicans which affect which stories they cover? Nah couldn't be.

Oh wait:

Agree, WP is unreliability leftward biased.

So who do you trust for news?

Agree, WP is unreliability leftward biased.

So who do you trust for news?

I dont trust anyone to be honest, so I read everyone's stuff to attempt to get the truth as best as I can.

I am fully aware that NYT/Washington Post/ABC/NBC/CBS have strong liberal bias and will give information to support democrats. They have been wanting to impeach Trump since day one and totally smashed Bush when he was President while covering up for the Clintons/Obama.

Foxnews is somewhat biased towards more establishment conservatives with Tucker Carlson and Hannity being more pro Trump. Radio news is mostly biased towards conservatives.

Then you have breitbart which is more hardcore right wing but will give interesting information that can counter some of the big boys whereby they have to retract statements. Most of the recent retractions of CNN/ABC, etc came from independent conservative leaning news sources that forced them to offer corrections in a manner that would NEVER have happened 20 years ago when Clinton was President.

RT is mostly Russian propaganda but does give some valuable information about legality of wars, debt situation in USA, etc.

So it's really on a case by case basis with mixing all this information together.

We are also now aware that many of the most "respected" news broadcasters like Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, etc were really just narcissistic perverts that pretended to be the "moral compass" of the society but have been really exposed.

Can I honestly believe the "mainstream media" when they have literally covered up for sexual abusers for decades? And im confident those two perverts are just the tip of the iceberg that goes all the way to the leadership of these big news organizations.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the changes related to S corp in the latest tax bill version which is most likely going to be the final version?

Can anyone comment on the changes related to S corp in the latest tax bill version which is most likely going to be the final version?

I know it phases out above a joint income of $315k, using some sort of complicated scheme. I don’t understand the details though.

Last edited:
Fist questions I hope to find out:

-Does phase out start at $315k taxable income or adjusted gross income
-what is the marginal rate at $315k and how quickly does it accelerate?

I don't give a **** what you say about Obama. Obama is not responsible for ISIS. That's called delusional/wishful thinking. And for the record Reagan added the largest percent change to the deficit in US history, Obama's was minuscule in scale.
I do give a **** about the fact that you're defending Trump. Trump is a despicable narcissistic maniac, he's a sexual predator who gladly brags about it on recordings and admits to it during the campaign and now tries to go back on his apology and say it's "fake news", he's a chronic liar who has already lied 6 times more in his first 10 months of the presidency than Obama did his entire 8 years, he praises leaders of countries that are known for murdering their political opponents (Russia and the Philippines: Duterte openly brags about murdering people), tries to defend neo-nazis and white supremacists who run over protesters with their cars, supports other politicians who are accused of pedophilia, etc, etc, etc. The list could go on and on and on.

Go ahead and try to tell me that Obama is worthy of the same criticism as our ******ed president and I'll continue to laugh at you as history forever proves you wrong. You can hate Obama and the Clintons all you want, but their faults don't even come remotely close the orange, fat, sexual predator clown you're trying to defend. So do us all a favor and shut up about it:)

I don't give a **** what you say about Obama. Obama is not responsible for ISIS. That's called delusional/wishful thinking. And for the record Reagan added the largest percent change to the deficit in US history, Obama's was minuscule in scale.
I do give a **** about the fact that you're defending Trump. Trump is a despicable narcissistic maniac, he's a sexual predator who gladly brags about it on recordings and admits to it during the campaign and now tries to go back on his apology and say it's "fake news", he's a chronic liar who has already lied 6 times more in his first 10 months of the presidency than Obama did his entire 8 years, he praises leaders of countries that are known for murdering their political opponents (Russia and the Philippines: Duterte openly brags about murdering people), tries to defend neo-nazis and white supremacists who run over protesters with their cars, supports other politicians who are accused of pedophilia, etc, etc, etc. The list could go on and on and on.

Go ahead and try to tell me that Obama is worthy of the same criticism as our ******ed president and I'll continue to laugh at you as history forever proves you wrong. You can hate Obama and the Clintons all you want, but their faults don't even come remotely close the orange, fat, sexual predator clown you're trying to defend. So do us all a favor and shut up about it:)

Obama killed more people.

Including an American citizen with zero adjudication.

When asked about a child who was killed by a us drone, obama's press secretary laughed and said "he should have picked better parents."

But hey, at least he doesn't call people mean names and brag about being surrounded by groupies. That's just too far.

When asked about a child who was killed by a us drone, obama's press secretary laughed and said "he should have picked better parents."

But hey, at least he doesn't call people mean names and brag about being surrounded by groupies. That's just too far.
Yes we almost forgot the bloodthirst of the Obama administration.

Infowars much?

Indeed, the 16yo son of al-awlaki was regrettably killed in a Yemeni strike and it was chalked up as collateral damage. Trump finished the job by killing the boy's 8yo US citizen sister, a few other children, and a navy seal, and then banned any innocents from that country from seeking refuge in the US.

Wow...why are you so passionate about defending anyone who you don’t know (Obama, Clinton, Bush, Trump).

I am going to bet 2018 isn’t going to be the best year for you.

Can we get back to taking about S corps, Nobody cares about ex presidents and I’m still confused about my taxes.

I'm still consued as well...I was reading on Wikipedia about the new tax code and it says 20% deduction on PTEs and then 30% tax rate after the deduction. Wikipedia says this benefit 'phases out' after 315k. Anyone seen any details about this 'phase out'?

I have to also say, Wikipedia seems to be the only place I can find DETAILS, not just OPINIONS on certain aspects of the new law. If someone has any other sites that lay out all the changes well please post!

Under your proposal would Walmart pay income tax on its gross sales? If not your system would have allow certain expenses. Maybe you propose using GAAP.
The flat tax would work if everyone was paid a wage and it was reported on a W-2 but in the real world it isn't a workable proposal.

I'm still consued as well...I was reading on Wikipedia about the new tax code and it says 20% deduction on PTEs and then 30% tax rate after the deduction. Wikipedia says this benefit 'phases out' after 315k. Anyone seen any details about this 'phase out'?

I have to also say, Wikipedia seems to be the only place I can find DETAILS, not just OPINIONS on certain aspects of the new law. If someone has any other sites that lay out all the changes well please post!
Can read about this below, page 554 for the next few pages. Decent example (with different numbers on the top of 555). Regardless, they made this bill so physicians won't incorporate. Sorry.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek...lAtgQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0ka2bGJTGjp_ti6ppi2BUi

Can read about this below, page 554 for the next few pages. Decent example (with different numbers on the top of 555). Regardless, they made this bill so physicians won't incorporate. Sorry.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek...lAtgQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0ka2bGJTGjp_ti6ppi2BUi

Your link didn’t work for me but this did:

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20171218/Joint Explanatory Statement.pdf

It’s quite a document. Glad to see that $315k is taxable income, so add 24k for standard deduction and 7k for HSA and the phase out doesn’t kick in till more like $346k combined, more if you itemize.

I still don’t understand how the phase out works and what my marginal rate will be in the phase out, especially with the added complexity of the AMT.

Calling Trump a sexual predator when you supported the woman who defended and married Bill Clinton is amusing at best.

Bill Clinton is literally the definition of a rapist despite looking like an old low T granny these days. To be fair to Bill, marrying a lesbian that looks like she has deformed legs would cause most men to stray.

Obama increased the total debt by more than any other President in history regardless of the BS talking points.

The rest is BS and gibberish im sure you heard from Ellen or Oprah.

Dont be mad that Trump is the first Republican with any T for the last 30 years since Reagan unlike McCain, Bush or Romney.

I actually dont agree with many of Trump's policy points but the liberal whinery has made this political season beyond amusing and enjoyable.

P.S. Before you want to make fun of Trump's physique, maybe we should remember the last dude who was our President:

Last edited:
Yes we almost forgot the bloodthirst of the Obama administration.

Infowars much?

I have to agree that Alex Jones is annoying but sometimes he does get credit:

Truly a work of art since it does speak truth to power. I used to remember when liberals did this before they sold out.

Last edited:
Can someone please remind me how this thread became about Obama?!?! Let's keep this to tax talk, please. Spew your political crap on some other thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone please remind me how this thread became about Obama?!?! Let's keep this to tax talk, please. Spew your political crap on some other thread.

Actually the thread changed from discussing tax policy when other thread participants started to call Trump "fat", "orange", "******ed", etc leading to a political battle that included counter ad homs.

This suggestion should've been made about 10 posts ago. Funny how you are only whining when it boomerangs on Obama huh? I also notice you upvoted that comment about Trump, so you are the last person who should be whining about avoiding political discourse.

But I agree that the political "crap" should have never been added to the discussion.

Actually the thread changed from discussing tax policy when other thread participants started to call Trump "fat", "orange", "******ed", etc leading to a political battle that included counter ad homs.

This suggestion should've been made about 10 posts ago. Funny how you are only whining when it boomerangs on Obama huh? I also notice you upvoted that comment about Trump, so you are the last person who should be whining about avoiding political discourse.

But I agree that the political "crap" should have never been added to the discussion.

This suggestion WAS made about 10 posts ago. See below. Let's get back to tax talk and leave the politics for another thread.

Can we get back to taking about S corps, Nobody cares about ex presidents and I’m still confused about my taxes.

The new tax code is extremely complicated but I think most Anesthesiologists won't be hurt that badly by it. Sure, a select few will get hosed by the new code but the majority seem to benefit from it:

"explaining all the details of the Senate Finance Committee’s pass-through provisions would require a team of lawyers, but one feature is worth highlighting: The new deduction would be limited for “specified service businesses” like doctors, lawyers, and accountants, and for businesses without sufficient wage expenses paid to employees. But those limits would not apply to taxpayers with taxable income below $250,000 ($500,000 for joint filers). And the benefit of the deduction phases-out rapidly, over an income range of just $50,000 ($100,000 for joint filers).

That means that individual taxpayers with pass-through income subject to the phase-out could face very high marginal tax rates for reporting additional income. How high?

Consider the example of a married couple whose entire income is “specified service” income generated by a pass-through entity and who claims the standard deduction. At an income of $524,000, the couple could take an $87,000 deduction (17.4 percent of the couple’s taxable income “without regard” to the deduction) that would reduce their taxes by $30,450 (since they are in the 35 percent tax bracket), but the deduction is entirely phased out at an income of $624,000. On average, that amounts to more than a 30% surtax on top of the 35% statutory tax rate over that range of income.

The actual phase-out is much more complicated, as the bill’s text released Monday night makes clear, because the deduction continues to apply even as its benefit is phased out. (If that sounds convoluted, it’s because it is.) The couple’s marginal income tax rate would jump to 61.375 percent at $528,541 of income. And it would rise to 73 percent until their income reaches $624,000 and the deduction is fully phased-out, at which point their marginal tax rate would return to the 35 percent ordinary income tax rate. (Note that these calculations do not include the additional 3.8 percent in self-employment payroll tax or the net investment income tax)."

Anyone know if the bolded is still true? I can't seem to find much information on this anywhere although it's not altogether surprising.

And by the way, looking back through this thread, the first political statement was yours, as quoted above.

Actually that was a reply to a comment about how when Republicans get into office they spike the deficit based upon unneeded tax cuts giving a strong implication that democratic leadership was somehow better at controlling deficits.

The comment clearly showed that was an incorrect analysis.

Go back further in the comment section.

Actually that was a reply to a comment about how when Republicans get into office they spike the deficit based upon unneeded tax cuts giving a strong implication that democratic leadership was somehow better at controlling deficits.

The comment clearly showed that was an incorrect analysis.

Go back further in the comment section.
Which post was that? I read every post above yours and can't find it.

Which post was that? I read every post above yours and can't find it.

BLADEMD

I think the House and Senate will compromise often on this issue. It is likely that a married Anesthesiologist who is 1099/S corp will save a few dollars with this tax "reform." I'd guess that would be in the $5-$10K range after the compromise is made. Is that worth it to ruin the finances of the USA? This bill is terrible for the nation because it drives up our National debt. I'm all for cutting C corp taxes to 22% but that means Personal taxes on the "wealthy" (you can define that term) must go up.

d9sccrASA Member5+ Year Member Apr 23, 2012

"I don't really disagree with you at all Blade but I find it amusing that people care about the federal deficit now with Trump in office when before no one really cared as long as they were getting free stuff. The ACA clearly overestimated it's savings and drastically underestimated the cost it would impose and yet it wasn't really talked about. I'm really just over the whole two party system, neither of which really seem to care for the country or the citizens. Personally, I'd just like to see a simplified tax code where I just look at my bracket and pay that percent. No write-offs, deductions, work-arounds, or whatever other name you want to call it. Of course, that would kill a whole lot of CPA jobs but would ensure everyone is "paying their fair share".

Blade was concerned about tax cuts causing huge deficits for the future. D9 countered by saying that deficits only seem to be a big issue when Republicans are in office.

I then gave the facts that Obama in fact had the biggest increase in HISTORY of total debt added.

Ergo it was already political before I added my comment.

The first "nasty" comment that attacked the moral character of Trump came right after that (first personal attack was on Trump) which caused the eventual retorts about Obama/Clinton who were subsequently maligned in the same fashion.

Whining about avoiding "politics" only begins if a liberal politician like Clinton/Obama get smashed. Apparently, its not "political" when Trump gets called "orange", "fat", "******ed", "repugnant", etc.

Its only "political" when nasty words are said about the politicians a liberal supports despite being the first to devolve into nastiness. Funny how that works huh?

Fun times. its all above.

Last edited:
DrCommonSense shut the f up. Mods please muzzle this buffoon so he can stop disrupting a thread about TAXES. What a victim.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth I read through the AMT portion of the bill because that has the potential to hit me each year.

How to calculate AMT with new bill (conservative approach)
1) Take your AGI without any deductions. 2) subtract 109,000 exemption (slightly less if not married) from that (unless you make >1mil married or >500k single)
3) from 0 to 190k of income multiply this by 26% tax rate.
4) income above 190 multiply by 28%.
5) Add 3 and 4 together

If that amount is higher than normal tax (likely not) you pay AMT.

Example.

AGI = 400k
400-109 =291k
190 x 0.26 = 49,400
Remaining 101 x 0.28 = 28,280

Therefore AMT = 49,400 + 28,280 =77, 680.

If the AMT tax is greater than your federal tax through new brackets you pay that.

Because most will be allowed to use the exemption money now whereas this was not allowed before for most physicians because there AGI was too high... Many less will be hit with AMT and even if they are it will be substantially less.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

DrCommonSense shut the f up. Mods please muzzle this buffoon so he can stop disrupting a thread about TAXES. What a victim.

Muzzle yourself about Trump then and we wouldn't have this issue in this thread that got derailed. Liberals calling people buffoons and then expecting nice conversation back always amuses me as well.

Just to clarify: enough meaningful discussion of the effect of the tax bill on anesthesiologists or enough calling Obama a murderer?

The obama comment came AFTER you called Trump repugnant and went into the gutter with the conversation.

I have always preferred to discuss tax policy issues and deficits in a rational manner without name calling but I can also get into the gutter if someone takes it there.

Maybe you should go back and look at the sequence of events with the name calling.

The obama comment came AFTER you called Trump repugnant and went into the gutter with the conversation.

I have always preferred to discuss tax policy issues and deficits in a rational manner without name calling but I can also get into the gutter if someone takes it there.

Maybe you should go back and look at the sequence of events with the name calling.

That was supposed to be a lighthearted comment. Maybe it came off wrong. If so I retract the comment. And I admit that I did contribute to the derailing, but only by taking to you. And criticizing a horrible president on a web forum is not “getting into the gutter.” Also, not sure what you mean by “name calling.” I did refer to your comments as crazy, but surely you see that they are a little on the fringe? If not, consider some introspection.

Please do not worry, I will no longer be addressing you on this forum. I come here because it is informative and fun, and you are neither.

OK, BACK TO S CORPS!

That was supposed to be a lighthearted comment. Maybe it came off wrong. If so I retract the comment. And I admit that I did contribute to the derailing, but only by taking to you. And criticizing a horrible president on a web forum is not “getting into the gutter.” Also, not sure what you mean by “name calling.” I did refer to your comments as crazy, but surely you see that they are a little on the fringe? If not, consider some introspection.

Please do not worry, I will no longer be addressing you on this forum. I come here because it is informative and fun, and you are neither.

OK, BACK TO S CORPS!

Ok same here. Sounds good to me.

I consider calling someone an "obese, orange, repugnant, *****, etc" as coming off as "crazy" and a little "fringe" too but what do I know?

Now back to the non name calling and mature discussion.

Regardless, none of this shi-t applies to doctors so its a waste of time. No physician will benefit from this as it's written in the bill currently. Maybe something will change in Congress but I highly doubt it since doctors have crap lobbies.

I guess I should've been more specific.

Let's not further derail a pertinent thread about tax implications of this bill for anesthesiologists with arguments about a past president.