Passed NAPLEX JULY 2018!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm2bee_

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I found out today that I passed the NAPLEX with a 96!!! I purposely made an account so that I can share my experiences with you since SDN has helped me out tremendously with my anxiety pre and post exam. So this is what happened:

Pre EXAM
  • Took the 1st pre-naplex in school without any preparation and scored a 71
  • Started reading the 2018 RxPrep book the last week of May which was a couple weeks after graduation: ~ 4 chapters/day M-F; took the RxPrep quizzes on weaker chapters and made ~75% on average
  • Practiced math ~1hr every few days/week
  • Finished the book by June 28th (2 weeks before NAPLEX) and took the pre-naplex and scored a 64
Completely devastated with my score, I contemplated about rescheduling my exam. After giving it much thought, I decided to focus on my weak areas, take a broader approach, and work on my testing anxiety since I was super nervous about taking the pre-naplex the second time around.

Topics I focused on
  • Biostats and math: I would complete 1 quiz of each daily to have a goal score of > 90% on RxPrep quizzes (making sure I was fast and efficient with answering these)
  • Made short notes on key points of each topic such as writing the MOA for each pharmacologic class of drugs for each disease/condition with their SE's + their drug combos in brand or generic names (so that when I studied the drugs, I would ask myself the brand/generic name of what I wrote to learn the drugs)
  • Made sure I was comfortable with non-sterile and sterile compounding, drug references, preg/lactation chps, anticoagulant dosing, and anything related to SAFETY
NAPLEX day - July 12
  • Took a propranolol to help me remain calm for the exam; Completed ~85 Qs before my 1st 10 min break, and completed ~125Qs on my second break
  • Made sure I thought things through before moving on to the next Q (since there was no backward navigation) and made educated guesses on the Qs I didn't know
  • Wrote down the units for each math Q on my paper so that I can double check my answer matched the units before moving on
  • Finished the exam with ~30 secs to spare
Post EXAM
I felt like CRAP! I was confident in about 40 Qs out of the 250 and looked up the Qs I was not sure on to only find out that I answered ~40% of the Qs correctly. As each day went on before finding out the results, I would feel like I answered more Qs incorrectly and hated myself for not double checking my math problems to rack up easy points. Sooooo I turned to SDN to read about other peoples stories on their NAPLEX experiences and to make myself feel less alone. On July 16, I found out I passed!!!

Moral of the story: Work hard and focus on BROAD knowledge and not every detail of the disease state since it is a basic competency exam. There is really no telling what topics they will specifically ask you on test day. It is randomly generated and no two exams are equal but you will for sure encounter BIOSTATS, MATH, STERILE/NON-STERILE COMPOUNDING on any version so make sure you perfect these!!! Try to calm your self when you are studying and mentally prep yourself for the 6 hour exam.

You graduated pharmacy school and know more than you think! Believe in yourself and you will succeed!! Take the pre-naplex to see where you stand at least two weeks before the actual test but don't stress too much on the results. In the end, the NAPLEX passing score is what really matters, and I am living proof that you can still pass the NAPLEX after failing the pre-naplex!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! and THANK YOU! Just what I needed to hear right now. I am taking my exam in less than 10 hours.

I just got my score today too!!!! I got a 84 on the Pre-Naplex two weeks before and I got a 90 on the real deal! I mostly focused on calculations, biostats, and my weaker subjects (anti-coag and HIV) with Rx-Prep

Found out I passed with a 91 yesterday. I took the pre Naplex before studying and got an 83. Took it after I studied and got an 80 which freaked me out a little but I passed and that’s all that counts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out this morning that I passed with triple digits! I honest thought I failed b/c I gussed on so many questions and my prenaplex was 81 a week before my exam. Well, hard work did pay off, congrats everyone!

Congrats to you all! I just took Naplex today. I feel like crap now! Not only I guessed on so many answers, but to make the matter worse I also ended up not finishing the exam (please don't judge). When I took the pre-naplex 2 weeks ago, I had 40 min to spare; so this time I made sure to reverify calculations; boy! Was I wrong! Have you heard of someone not finishing the exam and passing it?

Congrats to you all! I just took Naplex today. I feel like crap now! Not only I guessed on so many answers, but to make the matter worse I also ended up not finishing the exam (please don't judge). When I took the pre-naplex 2 weeks ago, I had 40 min to spare; so this time I made sure to reverify calculations; boy! Was I wrong! Have you heard of someone not finishing the exam and passing it?
Actually I was reading a post saying that they left 10-20 questions unfinished but still passed, don’t remember the detail, but if you google “I think I failed Naplex” or “post Naplex anxiety” you will find it. I know this because I was convinced that I failed a big time; I guessed on so many questions, and I was super nervous after the exam. So I googled people with similar experiences but passed, that wasn’t necessary make me feel better but at least there was hope. And I just found out that I passed this morning. So if you don’t have too many questions unfinished, and you think you did good on the questions that you answered, you will be fine!

How long did it take for you to get your scores/know you passed? I took my exam yesterday and I'm super nervous, I guessed on so many questions and definitely got a bunch wrong (when I looked up what I could remember afterward)

How long did it take for you to get your scores/know you passed? I took my exam yesterday and I'm super nervous, I guessed on so many questions and definitely got a bunch wrong (when I looked up what I could remember afterward)

I took it on Friday and found out my score around noon on Tuesday.

Have you gotten your result yet? I took it on the same day as you did

Im from california and took the test last friday. Today was the first time i checked. I see both Purchase Score Review and Purchase Score Transfer option. My reg status is closed also... i dont know what that means in terms of passing or not. Anyone of you passed and before that see both Purchase Score Review and Purchase Score Transfer option? does it mean anything or give an indication that you passed?

Im from california and took the test last friday. Today was the first time i checked. I see both Purchase Score Review and Purchase Score Transfer option. My reg status is closed also... i dont know what that means in terms of passing or not. Anyone of you passed and before that see both Purchase Score Review and Purchase Score Transfer option? does it mean anything or give an indication that you passed?
Can you check CPE monitor? If this is an option it will tell you if you pass or not

You can call the board and change back to intern, in another post I saw people did it and worked

thanks i was so nervous about changing it. I woke up this morning and decided the scores are already out... if i pass i pass... so i called to change it to pharm intern.
I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our records indicate that you have recently passed the NAPLEX. To access CPE Monitor, please update your profession.*

Now i am just waiting for the official letter to be mailed home. CA snail mail.

thanks i was so nervous about changing it. I woke up this morning and decided the scores are already out... if i pass i pass... so i called to change it to pharm intern.
I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our records indicate that you have recently passed the NAPLEX. To access CPE Monitor, please update your profession.*

Yay! Congrats!!

Hey guys!
I found out today that I passed the NAPLEX with a 96!!! I purposely made an account so that I can share my experiences with you since SDN has helped me out tremendously with my anxiety pre and post exam. So this is what happened:

Pre EXAM
  • Took the 1st pre-naplex in school without any preparation and scored a 71
  • Started reading the 2018 RxPrep book the last week of May which was a couple weeks after graduation: ~ 4 chapters/day M-F; took the RxPrep quizzes on weaker chapters and made ~75% on average
  • Practiced math ~1hr every few days/week
  • Finished the book by June 28th (2 weeks before NAPLEX) and took the pre-naplex and scored a 64
Completely devastated with my score, I contemplated about rescheduling my exam. After giving it much thought, I decided to focus on my weak areas, take a broader approach, and work on my testing anxiety since I was super nervous about taking the pre-naplex the second time around.

Topics I focused on
  • Biostats and math: I would complete 1 quiz of each daily to have a goal score of > 90% on RxPrep quizzes (making sure I was fast and efficient with answering these)
  • Made short notes on key points of each topic such as writing the MOA for each pharmacologic class of drugs for each disease/condition with their SE's + their drug combos in brand or generic names (so that when I studied the drugs, I would ask myself the brand/generic name of what I wrote to learn the drugs)
  • Made sure I was comfortable with non-sterile and sterile compounding, drug references, preg/lactation chps, anticoagulant dosing, and anything related to SAFETY
NAPLEX day - July 12
  • Took a propranolol to help me remain calm for the exam; Completed ~85 Qs before my 1st 10 min break, and completed ~125Qs on my second break
  • Made sure I thought things through before moving on to the next Q (since there was no backward navigation) and made educated guesses on the Qs I didn't know
  • Wrote down the units for each math Q on my paper so that I can double check my answer matched the units before moving on
  • Finished the exam with ~30 secs to spare
Post EXAM
I felt like CRAP! I was confident in about 40 Qs out of the 250 and looked up the Qs I was not sure on to only find out that I answered ~40% of the Qs correctly. As each day went on before finding out the results, I would feel like I answered more Qs incorrectly and hated myself for not double checking my math problems to rack up easy points. Sooooo I turned to SDN to read about other peoples stories on their NAPLEX experiences and to make myself feel less alone. On July 16, I found out I passed!!!

Moral of the story: Work hard and focus on BROAD knowledge and not every detail of the disease state since it is a basic competency exam. There is really no telling what topics they will specifically ask you on test day. It is randomly generated and no two exams are equal but you will for sure encounter BIOSTATS, MATH, STERILE/NON-STERILE COMPOUNDING on any version so make sure you perfect these!!! Try to calm your self when you are studying and mentally prep yourself for the 6 hour exam.

You graduated pharmacy school and know more than you think! Believe in yourself and you will succeed!! Take the pre-naplex to see where you stand at least two weeks before the actual test but don't stress too much on the results. In the end, the NAPLEX passing score is what really matters, and I am living proof that you can still pass the NAPLEX after failing the pre-naplex!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!
Could you please advise what resources did you use for Compounding and biostats? I failed with 72 in June and I’m not a US grad! Thank you in advance! PS: I used only Rxprep which i feel its overwhelming and not enough for those 2 topics.

Reactions: 1 user
I passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pengko, congrats!!! I took my exam on 10/11/18. I had both "Purchase Score Transfer" and "Purchase Rescore" on NABP. I'm anxious to know whether that i passed or failed. In the E-profile... i had pharmacist in the Profession section. So, who should i call to change pharmacist to Intern pharmacy? Also, how long that you have to wait for see the change on CPE? Thank you

Did you ended up passing. I am in the same boat rushed on the last 20 - 30 calculations because most of my calculations came at the end. I am in total agony. Hope i pass.