Passed New Naplex with 3 digits score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david05

PharmD/MBA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I took the new Naplex on Nov 1st and found out I passed today with 3 digits score. Many of you haven't taken the new version may be nervous about it. I have to say the level of difficulty of the new version is the same with the previous version. So, stick to the basic information. Because the new version has more questions and is longer that make it harder. 6 hrs with only one 10 minutes is exhausted. You need to train your endurance so that your brain is still sharp and function until the last minutes.

I make this post to thank people who shared their experience here and I want to continue passing on the experience. I would like to thank TMir who shared his experience and notes. I used his notes for my 1st and 2nd attempt. As I go through material, I add more to the notes. It saved me a lot of time. Here is his post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ailure-naplex-variance.1197820/#post-17710564

Ok. I will tell you what I did differently for the second time.

First attempt (185 questions): Failed with 72. I used:

+TMir notes
+Rxprep Book. Scan and read the book 1 time. I DID NOT do the Rxprep Qbank. That's the worst mistake.
+NABP pre-Naplex exams.
+SDN 120 math questions

Second attempt (new version: 250 questions): Passed with a 3 digits score. "Practice" and "repetition" are very important to this success. I used:

+ TMir notes. As I go through Qbank, I add more to the notes.
+ Rxprep Book, Rxprep Qbank. I ran through the Qbank entirely "3 times". The second time I set my baseline at %70. The third time I set my baseline at %80. Finally, I took the Rxprep 185 questions exam. I got 79% , 2 weeks before the second Naplex attempt.
+ Kaplan Qbank (provided by my school). I used this Qbank to practice my endurance. I practiced 2 times. I generated 360 questions for each time (6 hours. On average 1 question/1 minute).
+ "Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards" of Lange (provided by my school online library; used version on Amazon: ~$17). It has over 200 clinical cases which are similar to Naplex level. The explanation is extremely helpful. These flash cards are Highly recommended for the new naplex. I went through all flash card 1 time. (check your school online library if it has pharmacyaccess. It provide this flash card free. See my post below to look for this flash cards when you login into pharmacyaccess)
+ SDN 120 math questions. The week before the exam, I completed this set again. (total for 1 and 2 attempt: 2 times)
+ Quizlets. Highly recommended. I found this profile on quizlet through the search function. I think it's of TMir. Here: https://quizlet.com/naplex15

+ Monitor your progress!!! Important. I create an excel sheet to monitor and identify my weak chapters as I go through Rxprep Qbank. Any topics that below my baseline are considered to be weak and they need to be quizzed everyday. (check my post below for the excel file)
+ Create a study plan. It's like a compass that help you focus. I divide my study into 4 sections: cornerstones (topics that you must know such as the 1st 24 chapters of Rxprep), building up (need to know), expert (important topics such as HIV, ID, etc), and extra miles (clinical cases).
+ Feeling: the feeling of failing was terrible. It was the worse feeling I've ever experienced. Don't run away from it. Use it to push you to go extra miles.
+ Study all chapters, but stick to the basic !!! Every chapter is important. 1 question can make you pass or fail. Don't gamble. Of course, you can pick topics that you want them to be your strength.

The last 90 days was like hell. Anyway, I got out of it. I studied and practiced until I felt like if I don't pass, who-else is going to pass. You need to build your confidence level.

---
There is a question below that asks me how I started my last month and day to day activities. I think it's better to post here so that everyone can see.

We need to fight short-term memory. For my last month, this was how I started:

Main focus:
Period 1. Go through Rxprep Qbank again (first 2.5 weeks)
+ Determine my Rxprep Qbank baseline. Since you went through material once, set your baseline this time at least 70% or 80% this time. Any chapters below the baseline are considered to be weak.
+ Review weak points every day.

Period 2. Pharmacotherapy Flash cards (last 1.5 week)
+ Go through flash cards 3-4 hours every days.

Friday every week: 6 hours training (from 8 am to 2 pm). I use Kaplan Qbank to generate enough 360 questions (1 minute/questions).

Exactly how I started my day for:
Period 1
6:30 am: wake up. do personal and family things.
7:30 am: at the table. Start the day. Warming up with Brand/generic. 30-45 minutes
8:15 am: Must know for 1 hrs: Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/133389494/naplex-2016-flash-cards/
9:15 am: Study weak chapters. Review notes for each weak chapter (15 minutes per chapter). Do quizlet for weak chapters (15 minutes per chapter). This part often takes 4 hours.
+ !!!! Do not review weak chapters before the 250 questions section (see below). For example, do 250 questions of chapter 10 to 18. If weak chapters are 12, 15, 16, they would be reviewed the next day. Not the day before.

1:15 pm: Lunch
2:00 pm: Do Rxprep Qbank: 250 questions (Add up all questions of chapters until you have enough 250). Time it. I try to do 30 second/1 question. So it often takes 125' to 150'. Identify weak chapters.
4:30 pm: Break. Exercise to keep brain healthy and clear: Run and lift weight: 30'. Rest 30'.
5:30 pm: Dinner, Rest, personal thing: 1hr 30'
7:00 pm: Doing Math and Biostat:
10:30 pm: Sleep

Period 2.
7:30 am: at the table. Start the day. Warming up with Brand/generic. 30-45 minutes
8:15 am: Must know for 1 hrs: Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/133389494/naplex-2016-flash-cards/
9:15 am: Review all notes/chapters
2:00 pm: Start Pharmacotherapy Flash cards
4:30 pm: Break. Exercise to keep brain healthy and clear: Run and lift weight: 30'. Rest 30'.
7:00 pm: Continue Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards
8:30 pm: Math and biostat

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Hey everyone,

I took the new Naplex on Nov 1st and found out I passed today with 3 digits score. Many of you haven't taken the new version may be nervous about it. I have to say the level of difficulty of the new version is the same with the previous version. So, stick to the basic information. Because the new version has more questions and is longer that make it harder. 6 hrs with only one 10 minutes is exhausted. You need to train your endurance so that your brain is still sharp and function until the last minutes.

I make this post to thank people who shared their experience here and I want to continue passing on the experience. I would like to thank TMir who shared his experience and notes. I used his notes for my 1st and 2nd attempt. As I go through material, I add more to the notes. It saved me a lot of time. Here is his post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ailure-naplex-variance.1197820/#post-17710564

+TMir notes
+Rxprep Book. Scan and read the book 1 time. I DID NOT do the Rxprep Qbank. That's the worst mistake.
+NABP pre-Naplex exams.
+SDN 120 math questions

Second attempt (new version: 250 questions): Passed with a 3 digits score. "Practice" and "repetition" are very important to this success. I used:

+ Rxprep Book, Rxprep Qbank. I ran through the Qbank entirely "3 times". The second time I set my baseline at %70. The third time I set my baseline at %80. Finally, I took the Rxprep 185 questions exam. I got 79% , 2 weeks before the second Naplex attempt.
+ Kaplan Qbank (provided by my school). I used this Qbank to practice my endurance. I practiced 2 times. I generated 360 questions for each time (6 hours. On average 1 question/1 minute).
+ "Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards" of Lange (provided by my school online library; used version on Amazon: ~$17). It has over 200 clinical cases which are similar to Naplex level. The explanation is extremely helpful. These flash cards are Highly recommended for the new naplex. I went through all flash card 1 time.
+ SDN 120 math questions. The week before the exam, I completed this set again. (total for 1 and 2 attempt: 2 times)
+ Quizlets. Highly recommended. I found this profile on quizlet through the search function. I think it's of TMir. Here: https://quizlet.com/naplex15

+ Monitor your progress!!! Important. I create an excel sheet to monitor and identify my weak chapters as I go through Rxprep Qbank. Any topics that below my baseline are considered to be weak and they need to be quizzed everyday.
+ Create a study plan. It's like a compass that help you focus. I divide my study into 4 sections: cornerstones (topics that you must know such as the 1st 24 chapters of Rxprep), building up (need to know), expert (important topics such as HIV, ID, etc), and extra miles (clinical cases).
+ Feeling: the feeling of failing was terrible. It was the worse feeling I've ever experienced. Don't run away from it. Use it to push you to go extra miles.
+ Study all chapters, but stick to the basic !!! Every chapter is important. 1 question can make you pass or fail. Don't gamble. Of course, you can pick topics that you want them to be your strength.

The last 90 days was like hell. Anyway, I got out of it. I studied and practiced until I felt like if I don't pass, who-else is going to pass. You need to build your confidence level.

Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

Thank you for sharing .

Could you please tell us little
More about how many math question, all that apply type you had ? And also how r topics distributed?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats david
can you tell us please about the score correlation between pre-naplex and your actual score in both attempts.
i think with the new version pre-naplex will tell more about score since its linear exam too

please we need you to let us know many math and all that apply questions we can expect. Congratulation

Hey everyone,

+TMir notes
+NABP pre-Naplex exams.
+SDN 120 math questions

+ "Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards" of Lange (provided by my school online library; used version on Amazon: ~$17). It has over 200 clinical cases which are similar to Naplex level. The explanation is extremely helpful. These flash cards are Highly recommended for the new naplex. I went through all flash card 1 time.

+ Monitor your progress!!! Important. I create an excel sheet to monitor and identify my weak chapters as I go through Rxprep Qbank. Any topics that below my baseline are considered to be weak and they need to be quizzed everyday.

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your experience. In terms of being a standard exam vs adaptive exam, did you get relatively equal questions on each topics. or there are some topics that you didn't get any questions. and roughly how many you had of calc and biostat?

also as the number of questions are more now, the chances of passing will be more. we will see a trend of passing Naplex now !! three of my friends who took the new naplex have all passed!

Reactions: 1 users
For everyone asked questions:
1. Topics: I don't gamble. Study all chapters in Rxprep. Like other people already mentioned here, focus more on ID, HIV, oncology, drug monitoring, drug interaction, allergies, etc
2. Maths: I have a lot of math questions. Rxprep math and SDN 120 questions are sufficient enough to prepare for this portion. There was only 1 or 2 that I didn't know how to solve. Luckily, these one or two were multiple choices, so I made an educated guess by working backward. ~ 30-40 questions. Fill in the blank or MC type of question. No select all that apply for math.
3. Biostat: Rxprep is sufficient for this section. The new video is very helpful for this section. Must watch. Stick to the basic. Calculate RR, ARR, NTT, etc and know how to come up with a conclusion based on 95 CI. ~ 10 questions
4. Correlation between pre-naplex and actual Naplex. I didn't do it for my second attempt. For my first attempt, I got 72 for pre-naplex, and 72 for actual Naplex. However, my friend got a score in the 60s for pre-naplex, but 100s on actual naplex.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrads! Thank you for sharing !!! How do you prepared for drug monitoring and DDIs? Which chapter do you think is sufficient in covering drug monitoring and DDIs or just study broadly for each class of drugs? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

+TMir notes
+NABP pre-Naplex exams.
+SDN 120 math questions

Thank you for posting this and congratulations! I appreciate you telling us about your experience. I am wondering exactly how you set up your daily studying schedule. Did you have routine of reading the book and doing the quizzes daily until the exam? or did you review all your notes and did the quizzes repeatedly once you were all done? What did you focus more on the last 2-3 weeks before your test?

Thank you for posting this and congratulations! I appreciate you telling us about your experience. I am wondering exactly how you set up your daily studying schedule. Did you have routine of reading the book and doing the quizzes daily until the exam? or did you review all your notes and did the quizzes repeatedly once you were all done? What did you focus more on the last 2-3 weeks before your test?
See my original post above. I updated it there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

For pharmacotherapy flash cards, you don't have to buy it if your school online library has "pharmacyaccess". Pharmacyaccess provides this flash card free. Do not use regular search function when you are in pharmacyaccess. You won't find it.

Look for "study stool" bar close to the middle. Under it, you will see "flash cards". Click on it, and get into flash cards. Sign up an account. It's still free. Login again and done.

Congrads! Thank you for sharing !!! How do you prepared for drug monitoring and DDIs? Which chapter do you think is sufficient in covering drug monitoring and DDIs or just study broadly for each class of drugs? Thanks!
Stick to the basic. Drug monitoring, drug interaction chapters of Rxprep are sufficient for this part. If you want to study each drug separately, focus on top 100/200/300 drugs. It's up to you if you have enough time. However, don't spend to much time in one section. Stick to the basic and master it.

Stick to the basic. Drug monitoring, drug interaction chapters of Rxprep are sufficient for this part. If you want to study each drug separately, focus on top 100/200/300 drugs. It's up to you if you have enough time. However, don't spend to much time in one section. Stick to the basic and master it.
Thank you very much , I spent too much time on one section sometimes because quiz bank asked very detailed questions. I had to went back to read either my notes or the book again. Now I know I need move forward more quickly , how do you add up like 250 questions from the quiz bank ? Just pick up a few from each section as it goes? it's really hard to do thru.

Thank you very much , I spent too much time on one section sometimes because quiz bank asked very detailed questions. I had to went back to read either my notes or the book again. Now I know I need move forward more quickly , how do you add up like 250 questions from the quiz bank ? Just pick up a few from each section as it goes? it's really hard to do thru.

Yes. pick up a few chapters and add questions up. You can do 200 regular questions and 50 math questions. It's up to you. Check the attachment. I deleted some of the data, but it's an example how I monitor my progress. It has a number of questions for each chapter, so you don't have to check them. At the beginning of your 250 question section, add up questions from chapters and determine what and how many chapters you have to do.

Attachments

• Monitoring - Naplex-copy.xlsx
    19.7 KB · Views: 476
Hi everyone,

For pharmacotherapy flash cards, you don't have to buy it if your school online library has "pharmacyaccess". Pharmacyaccess provides this flash card free. Do not use regular search function when you are in pharmacyaccess. You won't find it.

Look for "study stool" bar close to the middle. Under it, you will see "flash cards". Click on it, and get into flash cards. Sign up an account. It's still free. Login again and done.

i would like to buy it on amazon, is d 2011 edition a good one to buy...? i mean the pharmacotherapy flash cards.

Yes. pick up a few chapters and add questions up. You can do 200 regular questions and 50 math questions. It's up to you. Check the attachment. I deleted some of the data, but it's an example how I monitor my progress. It has a number of questions for each chapter, so you don't have to check them. At the beginning of your 250 question section, add up questions from chapters and determine what and how many chapters you have to do.
Thank you very much !

i would like to buy it on amazon, is d 2011 edition a good one to buy...? i mean the pharmacotherapy flash cards.
I just received mine today , it cost about $24 from amazon. Questions are straight forward. A great way to check our knowledge and be familiar with Those pt cases-based questions .

I just received mine today , it cost about $24 from amazon. Questions are straight forward. A great way to check our knowledge and be familiar with Those pt cases-based questions .

great. can u pls send me the ISNBN number so i would get the right one, thank you.

Hey everyone,

+TMir notes
+NABP pre-Naplex exams.
+SDN 120 math questions

+ "Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards" of Lange (provided by my school online library; used version on Amazon: ~$17). It has over 200 clinical cases which are similar to Naplex level. The explanation is extremely helpful. These flash cards are Highly recommended for the new naplex. I went through all flash card 1 time. (check your school online library if it has pharmacyaccess. It provide this flash card free. See my post below to look for this flash cards when you login into pharmacyaccess)

+ Monitor your progress!!! Important. I create an excel sheet to monitor and identify my weak chapters as I go through Rxprep Qbank. Any topics that below my baseline are considered to be weak and they need to be quizzed everyday. (check my post below for the excel file)

---
There is a question below that asks me how I started my last month and day to day activities. I think it's better to post here so that everyone can see.

We need to fight short-term memory. For my last month, this was how I started:

Main focus:
Period 1. Go through Rxprep Qbank again (first 2.5 weeks)
+ Determine my Rxprep Qbank baseline. Since you went through material once, set your baseline this time at least 70% or 80% this time. Any chapters below the baseline are considered to be weak.
+ Review weak points every day.

Period 2. Pharmacotherapy Flash cards (last 1.5 week)
+ Go through flash cards 3-4 hours every days.

Friday every week: 6 hours training (from 8 am to 2 pm). I use Kaplan Qbank to generate enough 360 questions (1 minute/questions).

Exactly how I started my day for:
Period 1
9:15 am: Study weak chapters. Review notes for each weak chapter (15 minutes per chapter). Do quizlet for weak chapters (15 minutes per chapter). This part often takes 4 hours.
+ !!!! Do not review weak chapters before the 250 questions section (see below). For example, do 250 questions of chapter 10 to 18. If weak chapters are 12, 15, 16, they would be reviewed the next day. Not the day before.

2:00 pm: Do Rxprep Qbank: 250 questions (Add up all questions of chapters until you have enough 250). Time it. I try to do 30 second/1 question. So it often takes 125' to 150'. Identify weak chapters.
7:00 pm: Doing Math and Biostat:

Period 2.
9:15 am: Review all notes/chapters
2:00 pm: Start Pharmacotherapy Flash cards
7:00 pm: Continue Pharmacotherapy Flash Cards
8:30 pm: Math and biostat

@david05 thanks for posting David and congratulations, very useful information this will help a lot of students

Hey David, Congratulations!!! What a wonderful feeling this must be! Thank You for sharing your story. It gives me some hope that through this tunnel there is some light....I was just wondering do you think the new version of the naplex focuses more brand name drugs than the old naplex?

Hey David, Congratulations!!! What a wonderful feeling this must be! Thank You for sharing your story. It gives me some hope that through this tunnel there is some light....I was just wondering do you think the new version of the naplex focuses more brand name drugs than the old naplex?
There must be brand generic questions. You must be ready for them. Do not gamble. If you don't have enough time, focus on top 100, 200 or 300. Combo drugs, etc. They can be asked explicitly or "implicitly". Pay good attention to the questions asked. When you are not sure what they are asking, think about brand generic name type of question.

Thank you for your post! Definitely helped going in with more insight for an exam that they told us nothing about (breaks, changes, etc.)! Congrats to you!!!

Hi
Please can someone suggest me, is there any website where I can find drug -drug interactions and dosages for imp drugs. I have naplex in 1 week.

Hi, pls anyone if you have had situation like mine, pls share. I could only took naplex 3 times during the 1 yr time limit provided to me. Will Ca board let me take 4th time even after 1 yr after submission of my application. Still waiting for my result though. Pls.............. reply asap and pray for me. I am very unfortunate and desperate. Your response and suggestions can save my life. Dont want to disappoint my children.
Pls, david05 being generous to everyone, help me out.
Hey Who is that,

For CA, you are allowed to take 4th time. According the docs below, if it's within 2 years, then you don't have to resubmit new application.
If you have to submit a new application, you are still allowed to take your 4th time. I suggest that you should contact the Board.

You can find the answer here:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/exam_info_update.pdf
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/4x_fail_law_2011.pdf

Thanks, appreciate it. The information sounds promising. Guess I have to call Csbp for details. Pls do remember me in your prayers.

I feel so embarrassed, but this was my third attempt. I had 73 and 74 in 1st and 2nd attempt. I worked hard. Being a mother of 2, it was always hard.The naplex experience was bad. 1st time so many calculations and second time so many long clinical trial, biostatistics and agian calculations. Questions are always random. I hope this time l pass. Pls do remember me in your prayers. Sdn has always provided support and encouragement. I think becos my authorized time to take naplex is over, I cant take it 4th time. It will close my chapter. So devestating and frustrating. Oh God, please help.
I'm sorry about your situation. I hope you pass your 3rd time. Let us know if you pass.

I don't understand why it's over for you if the application is expired. Have you contacted the board? Can you submit a new application if your current application is expired? I know there is a fee, but you are still allowed to take your 4th time with your new application, right?

@davido5
Thanks a lot. I appreciate. I hope I pass. Just pray for me. May God be with us.

Last edited:
I really hope you pass !!
Im taking the test in 2 weeks I'm so confused !! What's the % of all that apply type questions you guys had on the test ?? I can't imagine having a bunch ...:( I think I will only review the 12 big topics + math have no more time ;( any tips please I really appreciate ! Thx

Thanks, really appreciate it. Don't worry you will do great. I had almost 14- 15 questions about select all. Kind of hate these questions. If you have any doubts, Just try to narrow down to best answer. Hiv medications and onco can be challenging. Dont worry! May God bless us all.

I know I hate them too ;( yup I'm just stuck on Hiv can't imagine ppl knowing all of this :/ even tho it's easier then ID chapter !!! Thanks any other tips for someone that's has 10+ days left ?? I'm praying. For you !!!

Really thanks. Biostatistics calc and formulas for calculations. Ibw requirements. Will not suggest u to do clinical trial questions at this very last moment. With those lengthy option choices I just tried some educated guessing. Iv and po formulations. Dont miss to go through COMPOUNDING, very imp. May God be with all of us. As usual, remember me in ur prayers. Best of luck!

I know I hate them too ;( yup I'm just stuck on Hiv can't imagine ppl knowing all of this :/ even tho it's easier then ID chapter !!! Thanks any other tips for someone that's has 10+ days left ?? I'm praying. For you !!!
If you have less than 10 day, my suggestion is to review and quiz what you studied. Practice math and biostat. Develop a "strategy" how to take the exam.
You need to be sure and confident in your basic knowledge. You think you know your material, but you will be confused under pressure and stress on the exam.

It's just like to master multiplication tables to be able to solve math problems. You need to master basic knowledge in order to solve clinical cases presented on the exam.

I will share with you my strategy:
1. Master math formula. I re-write math formula table from memory every day. When I surely 100% memorize them all, I pick out formulas that I often confuse and try to write all of them in 2 minutes. On the exam, when I get to my 1 question, I spend 2 minutes to write all those formula (practiced). WARNING: DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING DOWN ON YOUR NOTE PAD UNTIL YOU GET TO YOUR 1ST QUESTION. IT'S A VIOLATION IF YOU WRITE THEM DOWN BEFORE YOU GET TO YOUR 1ST QUESTION.

2. If I come across questions that I don't know or not sure, I just quickly make an educated guess and move on. I know if I spent more time with them, I would still get them wrong; it would waste my opportunities and time to get ones that I know right.

3. What to do during break to get your brain fresh again in 10'. Actually, it's 5'. Check in, out, and go to restroom take 5'. You only have 5' left to rest and eat. What you eat and drink are very very important. Remember, it's 6 hours exam. Can you function if you're hungry or in need to go to restroom? Coffee is not the right choice for me.

4. Mental attitude. I walked into exam room with an attitude that I was going to compete/challenge with people who wrote the exam questions. I didn't afraid hard questions. Instead, I wanted them to give/challenge me harder questions. With this attitude, you won't be panic when you get to difficult questions. It increases your chance to see through and pick right answers.

Wow I didn't know Naples was this hard. I remember the night before the Naples, I was still clubbing with friends and passed it with flying colors the next day.

Wow I didn't know Naples was this hard. I remember the night before the Naples, I was still clubbing with friends and passed it with flying colors the next day.[/QUOTE
I think u meant Naplex or Naples is something else.