Quantcast

Passed Step I- Need to Retake it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akneuro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I know that I should just be grateful for passing step 1, however, I barely passed. I know that if you fail you can retake the exam and if you don't fall into the time limit of licensure- you may be able to retake it.

However, is there a way to still retake it even if you passed. After finishing the exam, I went to the hospital and of course had acute appendicitis. I want to go into a highly competitive residency, and have great letters and grades, but my score is horrible.

Does anyone know if there is a way to retake it or petition to retake it or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

BrazilianDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Move on , make sure you relax and get plenty of simulated exams for step 2. Never heard of any retaking after passing. Rules are rules. Remember some people fail and still ,at the end, get into a competitive residency.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm just a pre-med but I've read other posts on this board from people who've retaken after passing. Sorry I can't be of more help because I don't remember the details (and I am, after all a pre-med). But contact whoever (AAMC? the USMLE people??? :confused:) explain your situation, and see what your options are...

I just remember reading someone who posted that they were the exception to the 'you can't retake if you pass' rule. Maybe they were a troll? It didn't sound like it...

Good luck.

Last edited:

mudphudwannabe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can't retake it if you pass. Passing (even barely passing) the first time is much better than failing, and you still have a 2nd chance to get a great score with step 2. Plus, you still have your clinical years ahead of you - those clinical grades really matter. Put your effort into succeeding in your rotations and acing Step 2, and don't worry about the past.

lankysudanese

antibiotics fetish
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you are sure that your low score was the direct result of suffering from acute appendicitis (and not because of poor preparation) then the only thing that you can do to boost your app for your competitive specialty is take Step 2 early and get a very high score. Some programs will look preferably at that, especially if you mention the circumstances surrounding Step 1.

I guess this serves as a lesson for everybody out there who suffers a serious mishap at the end of Step 1 prep. If you have a choice, DO NOT JUST TAKE THE TEST but try to postpone (scheduling time off during rotations, taking a year off etc). A lot of programs in competitive specialties use Step 1 score cut-offs, and you do not want to end up messing up your chances just because you were at the end of your prep and "just wanted to get this thing over and done with".

Monica Lewinsky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like other posters have said, it ultimately came down to the fact that you decided to take it. If you were feeling so sick, why did you take the test? You probably knew your performance wouldn't be as good when you weren't at the top of your game so why risk it? From the NBME perspective, how do they know that you aren't just exploiting a conveniently timed illness retrospectively in light of your poor performance?

I'm sorry that this happened to you and wouldn't wish it on anyone. You can't turn the clock back, so if I were you I'd go and talk to faculty in the field that you desire to match into. Tell them about your situation and ask what you can do to become a competitive applicant. It might take shining on away rotations, doing a year of research, improving your step 2, and a bunch of other factors.

datsa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to the hospital and of course had acute appendicitis.
I assume that you are joking, or were you really ill during the time you were taking the exam. If you were, could that be a reason for poor exam performance? would it be a valid reason for retaking the exam?

Rena

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that things are different for AMGs and IMGs but maybe it will be useful
Our records indicate that you have already passed this Step or Step Component or the equivalent NBME® Part. USMLE policy on reexamination generally does not allow applicants to retake a Step or Step Component if they have already passed that Step or Step Component or the equivalent NBME Part. There are, however, certain exceptions to this policy:
  • Exception #1: Applicants pursuing H-1B visa status who have passed NBME Part I and/or Part II may take the equivalent Step(s) to meet the examination requirements for this visa.
  • Exception #2: Applicants who have already passed a Step or Step Component or the equivalent NBME Part may retake that Step or Step Component if they need it to comply with a time limit of a medical licensing authority for completion of all Steps or a requirement imposed by another authority recognized by the USMLE program for this purpose.
  • Exception #3: Applicants who have passed all or a portion of the NBME certifying examinations, Part I, Part II, and Part III, or the Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX) Components 1 and 2 and have never been granted a medical license by a U.S. medical licensing authority, may take any Step(s) for which they are otherwise eligible.
  • Exception #4: For the purpose of ECFMG Certification, ECFMG requires that applicants pass those USMLE Steps and Step Components required for ECFMG Certification within a seven-year period. Effective June 14, 2004, applicants must pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and, if required for ECFMG Certification, Step 2 CS within a seven-year period; this seven-year requirement applies to applicants whose earliest USMLE passing performance that is valid for ECFMG Certification took place on or after June 14, 2004. Prior to June 14, 2004, ECFMG required that applicants pass Step 1 and Step 2 CK within a seven-year period for ECFMG Certification; this prior seven-year requirement continues to apply to applicants if their earliest USMLE passing performance that is valid for ECFMG Certification took place before June 14, 2004. Step 2 CS, if required for ECFMG Certification, can be passed outside of this seven-year period.
If you still wish to apply for this exam based on one of the reexamination exceptions outlined above, you may proceed with your on-line application. For Exceptions #1, #2 and #3, you must submit documentation supporting this exception. Note: You may only request the exception at the time that you apply for the previously passed exam. Exceptions to the reexamination policy are not approved prior to your submitting the exam application. Click here for a list of appropriate documentation and complete instructions on how to submit the support documentation.