Passing averages of exams of the Pharmacy Schools

Byebyebeautyful

May 5, 2011
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    I notice some people saying in such and such pharmacy schools you have to keep a 90% average on your exams to pass or something to that effect?

Where can I find this information? I am currently applying on pharmCAS to all the california pharmacy schools (minus loma linda) and Pacific University Oregon. I think I would preferably not want to go to a school with such high passing requirements, but maybe someone call tell me about it? If the pass rate is so high does that mean that exams are not hard?

cdang89

Mar 3, 2011
    1. Pharmacy Student
      I notice some people saying in such and such pharmacy schools you have to keep a 90% average on your exams to pass or something to that effect?

Where can I find this information? I am currently applying on pharmCAS to all the california pharmacy schools (minus loma linda) and Pacific University Oregon. I think I would preferably not want to go to a school with such high passing requirements, but maybe someone call tell me about it? If the pass rate is so high does that mean that exams are not hard?

Don't have a list, but USN implements the pass/fail system (90% or higher to pass). By no means are the exams easier. I have a friends that attend USN, it is intense because of the block system they use. Although as long as you work hard and are committed, you should be fine.

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
    • May 27, 2008
      1. Pharmacist
        Don't have a list, but USN implements the pass/fail system (90% or higher to pass). By no means are the exams easier. I have a friends that attend USN, it is intense because of the block system they use. Although as long as you work hard and are committed, you should be fine.

I find it hard to believe that they're not easier. If we had this requirement, probably at least 80% of our class would fail therapeutics. I don't know a single person who got an A in it last semester.

Maybe if you found the on-time graduation rate from USN, one could judge whether the requirement is reasonable or not.

About the Ads

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Sep 13, 2009
        1. Pharmacy Student
          I find it hard to believe that they're not easier. If we had this requirement, probably at least 80% of our class would fail therapeutics. I don't know a single person who got an A in it last semester.

Maybe if you found the on-time graduation rate from USN, one could judge whether the requirement is reasonable or not.

True that, the class average on one of our last pharm sci finals was 61%. Usually they're in the mid 70s to mid 80s range.

If they were to test is actually on the material instead of giving us trick questions or testing us on the actual material presented I could see high 90s.

Here they like to give you Point A, ask you to get to Point G, but never tell you the inbetween steps.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
          Staff member
          Administrator
          Volunteer Staff
          Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Mar 19, 2009
          Locked in the basement
          www.facebook.com
          1. Pharmacist

I agree with this logic. If our school suddenly said, guess what 90% and above is passing (with no change to the testing, etc), most of my class would fail. I can't believe that the tests are not written in such a way as to allow the majority to pass. It sounds like grade inflation to me (all of our graduates got a 90 or above!).

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Oct 21, 2007
            !!!!!
            1. Pharmacist

Seriously, our average on therapeutics was 64 for second quarter. If it was 90 +, majority of class would have failed. Passing grade is 66 for that class and they had to curve the average.

We only had 90 to pass requirement for one class and it was relatively non intense pharmaceutical calculations.

cdang89

Mar 3, 2011
              1. Pharmacy Student

The system is quite odd though. You take an exam individually, then take it as a group. Percentage of group exam is added to overall score. Mind you that the group exam is identical to the individual exam. So technically, yeah it is slightly easier, but then again your group score can hurt [email protected]

pfaction

10+ Year Member
                Mar 14, 2010
                WV
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  St. John's: 1st 2 years are very much pre-med so not going to mention it here.
                  Professional years: 90 = A, get above a 60 and you pass. Only kicked out when GPA < 2.3. For therapeutics, same thing. 50 people failed ID because they got <60.....

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.