Passing off psych courses as BCPM...does it look bad?

karats

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Courses like Sensation and Perception, Memory and Learning, Cognitive Processes, Pathopsychology, and so on and so forth.

People here have posted usually AMCAS will approve them as BCPM which can significantly improve one's GPA.

However when admissions committees closely looks at the transcript and sees this do they get annoyed? Since they are not they typical higher level bio, chem or physics courses.

I took some but am hesitant to classify it as such because it will look I'm clearly inflating my science GPA. But then I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by not doing so.

If this is truly not an issue I would not mind taking an additional one or two psych courses like these in addition to mostly BCPM courses for my post bac...

----x----

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I can't speak to what an admissions committee member would think, but if you have a question about the ethical nature of this and would have trouble answering a pointed question like "If you're willing to game the system to inflate your stats on your medical school application, how can we trust you with patients, or in research?" then I would avoid it.

Personally, I would doubt the committee members are looking that closely unless they're on the lookout for this specific issue.

OP
K

karats

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I can't speak to what an admissions committee member would think, but if you have a question about the ethical nature of this and would have trouble answering a pointed question like "If you're willing to game the system to inflate your stats on your medical school application, how can we trust you with patients, or in research?" then I would avoid it.

Personally, I would doubt the committee members are looking that closely unless they're on the lookout for this specific issue.
Well I don't think it's really an ethical issue since AMCAS has been known to approve these courses for BCPM. This is a bad comparison but I guess it's like using Biology of Plants 101 for BCPM. Except the Psych courses I mentioned above are 300/400 level courses.

Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I majored in psychology so most of my courses were the PSYC course code and I only listed BCPM courses as those that AMCAS specifically lists on that .pdf guide they have.
I mean if I had included psych courses in my BCPM, then my sGPA would have been like 0.2 points higher ):

Also interested if that's something okay to do, as I am already verified but still am within the 10 day window.

PatchAdams25

2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I was a Psych major, and got 4 of my classes to count. But these were all pretty much bio classes (Behavioral differences in genetics, Physiologyical Psych, etc)

----x----

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If they're BCPM related then yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried call AMCAS.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Courses like Sensation and Perception, Memory and Learning, Cognitive Processes, Pathopsychology, and so on and so forth.

People here have posted usually AMCAS will approve them as BCPM which can significantly improve one's GPA.

However when admissions committees closely looks at the transcript and sees this do they get annoyed? Since they are not they typical higher level bio, chem or physics courses.

I took some but am hesitant to classify it as such because it will look I'm clearly inflating my science GPA. But then I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by not doing so.

If this is truly not an issue I would not mind taking an additional one or two psych courses like these in addition to mostly BCPM courses for my post bac...
I think the probability of this risk happening is low (ie little chance the adcom will notice).
I think the impact of the risk is low (ie little to no negative impact by an adcom).

Take the classes, classify them as BCPM, AMCAS will judge them via the official college catalog course description and will approve them not.

OP
K

karats

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I majored in psychology so most of my courses were the PSYC course code and I only listed BCPM courses as those that AMCAS specifically lists on that .pdf guide they have.
I mean if I had included psych courses in my BCPM, then my sGPA would have been like 0.2 points higher ):

Also interested if that's something okay to do, as I am already verified but still am within the 10 day window.
Whoa that's a significant difference! I would go ahead and request a change. They were part of your major and so it's not like you were looking to take courses to inflate your GPA.

Jun 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Whoa that's a significant difference! I would go ahead and request a change. They were part of your major and so it's not like you were looking to take courses to inflate your GPA.
Yeah that's why I was so torn with having most of my A's in my psyc courses! Does anyone know if once you've been verified, AMCAS indicates which courses were used for BCPM?