Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

passing rates in medical school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DO^_^, Nov 23, 2005.

1. DO^_^

DO^_^ Junior Member

I have a question, on average how many people fail out of medical school? Is it true that once they accept you, they will make sure that as long as you work you'll pass? Do more people fail out of DO school or MD school? (since DO school require lower average GPA and MCAT, does it mean they weed out more people? ) Is there any school that's known for weeding out say 10-20 percent of its class? Is that possible? How hard is it really?

Just thought I should get my info straight before applying next year...
    thanks for all your help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

It varies between schools... it's not a DO vs. MD thing. The 2nd years at Western have mentioned their class is north of 10%. But I'll tell you, the school does work very hard to keep you in. They invest in tutoring by 2nd years (they get paid) and there is an office just dedicated to students having trouble. It is true that as long as you are willing to work and get the help if need be, you should be able to pass.

4. DO^_^

DO^_^ Junior Member

glad to know that it's not a MD vs DO thing because I really want to be a DO and I want to go to KCUMB. Anybody has any ideas about the passing rate there?

5. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    In our class, we had a starting size of 88 students. 5 people are no longer with us in the second year. 4 of them are retaking the first year, and 1 is now in law school. Of the 4 that are retaking the year, only 2 dropped out because of failing. The other 2 dropped about because of family problems and a major illness. Thus 3 out of 88 people failed out. That would be a 3.4% failure rate.

6. Doc 2b

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At NSU I think we've had a couple people drop already, and a couple that probably will at the end of the semester. I agree with OSU that it is really low. We have a class of 200+. As far as how hard it is, it's indescribable, you really won't know until you get there. That said, it is the only time in my life that I get up looking forward to what I get to do that day.

7. DO^_^

DO^_^ Junior Member

Anybody know the failing stats at KCUMB? Do a lot of people have a hard time passing? What courses are considered hard to pass. I heard anatomy? I've not taken anatomy yet, should I take it?
    thanks

8. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was just accepted to KCUMB and it seems awesome. They seem to prepare you well for the boards to.

9. cad_15

cad_15 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

When talking about kcumb you have to remember that we are system based and that there is not a single course that is harder than another one. Every 5-6 weeks you study a different body system and just like at other school, I will say that the neuro section is the most demanding. Anatomy should not be a problem because the only time you go into the anatomy lab it is to study the anatomy related to the section you are studying i.e during the cardio section you only go into the lab to study the heart and during Skin-Blood and Lymph section you do not have anatomy. It is true that once you are in at KCUMB they make sure that you graduate and free tutoring is available (if you had an interview here you heard everything about the ressources available), 2nd years are in OPP lab and anatomy lab or pharmacology lab with the 1st years, there is one office dedicated to make sure that students succeed, etc...In my class, we may have lost 3-4 people for various reasons, but we started at 238. starting with the class of 2009 they are 250, you have to pass step 1, 2 and the clinical skills to graduate. You cannot fail more than 3 sections during the first 2 years and if you fail any you have to retake the exam over the summer.

my main points will be that once you are accepted schools make sure that you eventually graduate and you should not worry about it too much now because wherever you go, it will be up to you to succeed because a lot of things in graduate school consist of self-learning.

10. DO^_^

DO^_^ Junior Member

Thank you for the information about KCUMB, it definitely gave me a much better understanding of the school. I'm excited to start my application!