Passion for dentistry begin before, during, or after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STREETRAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in dental school or out in practice, did your enjoyment in dentistry begin before, during, or in dental practice?

Have heard that one learns to like this field. It seemed that the person saying this was referring to the great profession and job, in that dentistry has much less problems and turf taken away ... like that which has happened in other areas of health care.

Of course the schooling is extremely short considering the practice rights, and income. This would be a positive aspect to many people.

For those reading this, what has been the case for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet question :love:

My passion began in South America shadowing a female dentist friend of my parents. I was 19 and was searching what to study......loved it then...and still love it now. I'm applying this summer :D

First day of shadowing her in a state clinic: 1st patient a prisoner who was crying like a baby from a bad tooth infection...there were 2 police men in the room heavily armed and one outside by the door.....the whole time I was thinking that any moment that guy was going to get up and kill us all! OMG! It was unforgettable! :laugh:

still havent got it

Members don't see this ad :)
Readers Digest Version:

The spark started as the Dental Coordinator in a clinic for the indigent while still in college.

It was nearly snuffed out in dental school by the jerks that become clinical instructors.

It was rekindled the excitement of the first years in building a private practice.

It was set ablaze providing dental care in the third world.

What went wrong? Did the amount of ppl needing treatment overwhelm you?

uh chief....... he was comparing his passion to a fire........ so when it was set ablaze that means he really really liked dentistry when he went to the 3rd world to help people out

i had some gnarly crooked teeth as a 14 year old - i hated them A LOT, and after two months of braces, i asked my orthodontist how i could have his job. it just seemed so amazing to me. i had written a note to him after my braces came off saying thanks, and years later i saw in his office a binder FULL of notes just like mine from so many people. right then i knew i was on the right path. he always told me to not expect to get into ortho due to extreme competition, and i took his advice seriously. lucky for me that it all worked out! now, i do have his job only its in my dream city :D
(and i still have the nice smile he gave me - thanks dr katz!)

Last edited:
I met my girlfriend who was a bio major (while I was bored with electrical engineering) so I switched to bio major. She got accepted to dental school and so I followed her to dental school a year later. I didn't have any strong preferences so I could just as easily ended up being an engineer or lab tech or pharmacist or deejay or even a bum. I am really glad that pure luck or destiny just kind of steered me into dentistry and can't recalled a day that I haven't enjoyed going to work in the past eight years at my practice. I hated my dental school and its faculty but that's another story.

My passion to help people started at a young age. Red Cross Volunteer, radical of the 60s,... One of the first VISTA volunteers (VISTA/PEACER CORPS/Americorp)... I was unsure where/how I wanted to serve... legal, health, etc... Started to focus on health... then dentistry... and as always dental - medicine.... to teach.. to help... be it here at my program, in the US, or international... ~I Love Want I DO~

I am now a consultant to Americorp, Member of the Govnernor's Commission on Community and Volunteer Service, Radiation Safety Authority, Access to Care.... and I can go on...

And internationally - Health Volunteers Overseas, Operation Smile, Climb for a Cause, etc,,,

Helping others is a passion..... and it keeps growing