Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Passionate, yet horrible at math/sci. Go for law sch hc policy or postbac prgm?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by simpsonsrule, Jun 4, 2008.

1. simpsonsrule

I was born several months premature (among other medical conditions), and have a very passionate, extremely compelling story on why I want to practice medicine.

I'm very, very interested in medicine (as well as health care policy) and am in my mid 20's. I was recently accepted to a fairly well regarded (yet regional) law school which has a health law policy program and an attached medical school. I attended a very well regarded college, and have a high GPA. My extended family also includes full professors/chief surgerons at two of the most well regarded medical schools in the country whose names are considered "magic" in the medical community. Due to the level of competition, I most likely wouldn't have been accepted no matter what my grades or MCAT were. There's been some very bad blood within my family unfortunately, and none of us has had contact in well over a decade.

The caveat is that I am absolutely horrible, horrible at math and science. I did fairly well in biology, advanced algebra and statistics however nearly blew everything else math and science related despite graduating with honors and a 3.8+ GPA. I'm a great writer, I just can't seem to get the hang of calculus and chemistry no matter how hard I try. For my brother, this comes easier than breathing.....

Should I give up on my dreams of med school and try to make an impact through legislative and/or nonprofit policy or attempt to get into a post bac program and slug my way through? I'll miss the medical pay scale (I have sizable debt), however I grew up in hospitals, and I'll miss the frenziness of the hospital atmosphere the most. I know I would be a kind, generous, compassionate doctor, however I can't seem to cut it with the math and science.

Short of becoming a doctor, what other options do I realistically have within the medical field itself that excludes the math and science? Thanks.

2. AG2

AG2

Pre-Medical
    I don't think there is anything in the medical field that does not include Math or Science. You seem very intrigued by Medicine but this can be because most of your family works at a hospital. If you truly want to be a doctor than go for it no matter how many obstacles you might face!:)

3. ChemGrad08

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    If you just like the feeling of a hospital and you are way passionate about it, there are plenty of people in a hospital that aren't doctors (nurses, PAs, etc). I also think there might be a level to which you could do work as a lawyer in a hospital, a quick google search revealed that some hospitals had their own counsel on staff which might be a way to combine the two interests.

4. Diksha

Diksha Special Cake Censor
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm sorry to say I have to agree; you need an excellent grasp of physics, mathematics, and chemistry to understand medicine! But I think you can develop your understanding of these areas if you try hard enough; you just have to decide if it is worth it or not.