Passport craziness (Friday night Frustration thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the hopes that some of you have constructive ideas on how to solve this unexpected problem. Feel free to add your own list of frustrations about bureaucratic systems if it makes you feel better.

I applied for a passport because I hope to attend some out-of-country research seminars in the future, and because I'd like to be able to make any other general travel plans like without having to worry about last minute passport application delays. When people in the lab have the opportunity to attend conferences, it is often with short notice. It seemed like a simple, though relatively expensive process.

I downloaded and printed the application forms from my computer; filled them out; and took them to the nearest designated post office along with my birth certificate, driver's permit, and cash. The first glitch was that their photo machine was broken. I was sent to a nearby drugstore that does them for half the price of the post office. That was a good glitch. The second was that the hours posted on the gov't site were incorrect; this p.o. only takes the applications during limited hours 3 days/wk. I had to rearrange my schedule and return the following week. Third glitch - the gov't doesn't accept cash for passport applications. (I thought it was hilariously ironic that they don't accept their own currency.) I didn't bring a checkbook; so, I had to walk back out to the window and purchase a money order. These were all minor, only slightly annoying inconveniences.

Today I received a thick envelope from our gov't. They consider my driver's permit, photos, and original birth certificate, which they still posses, to be insufficient identification. They request that I send five proofs of identification which are more than 5 years old. These all must contain the date and either my name and signature, or my photo and name.
Examples of acceptable documents:
work ID
School ID
newspaper articles or publications which include my picture
yearbook photos w/school year on page
voter's registration card
Selective Service card
Driver's license
traffic tickets (never thought one of THOSE might come in handy)

Plus, there are sheafs of papers to fill in - every address that I've ever had along with dates - every job with dates - birthdates and locations for all family members (including ex-spouses, which I don't have) and verification that they are citizens. They also want to know when I left the US, when I returned, and where and when I was baptized. (Those questions are asked together. The third really irritates me because it sounds like I'm not a citizen unless I've been baptized.)

I don't know what to do. I do have my driver's permit, school ID, voter's registration card, and selective service card (if I can find what I did with the last two), but I'm a FRESHMAN - none of these meet the over five years old requirement. I have medical records, but they don't have my signature - I was a minor. I was home educated. We didn't wear ID's because our parents knew who we were. The closest thing I have to a year book is stacks of family photos.

I don't get it. Why, if they require a driver's permit and birth certificate in order to apply, do they call these insufficient proof of identity?

Has anyone else had problems obtaining a passport? Any suggestions for how to solve these problems?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait... it's saturday right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean... I wish it was Friday too.

sigh, me too. Do you think they're going to try to keep me trapped in this country for the four years? My 'acceptable' ID's are less than 2 years old. Why would the normally required identifications not be adequate? I'm just a regular run-of-the-mill person. I've never had so much as a traffic citation.

That's really strange. I've had a passport since I was born though so I'm really not familiar with the process of applying for a new one especially in today's political climate.

Damn, I'm really glad my parents have always handled this business for me. I had no idea it was such a headache.

I'll have to apply soon for one though (my five-year limit is almost up; I get a ten-year limit now that I'm 18, woohoo!) so I guess I should I educate myself on the process too.

That's really weird. I didn't have that problem at all.

I'd call and explain the situation. I can't imagine it's that big of a deal. I mean, gosh, you were born here! When I was 14 I went to a passport service and they got me a passport in 2 days (paid a crapload extra, wound up being for nothing) with no glitches. Totally legit.

Sorry about that. You'll get your passport, I'm sure of it.

Wow, that's crazy. I got a passport (post 9/11) from an American consulate abroad, and I didn't need any of that stuff. They definitely didn't ask when I was baptized.

You're right, decaf, I was born here. So were my parents. I didn't expect any problems. I've never heard of anyone else being asked for all this stuff either. All you're supposed to need is a driver's permit, or other acceptable gov't ID, and a birth certificate. If someone can't produce the ID, then they can have someone who's known them for at least 2 years go with them and swear an affidavit.

This whole thing gives me the creeps. Luckily, I've only ever lived two places & held two jobs. I'll have to find the address of where I lived as a baby. I'm sure it's somewhere. I've left the country twice on cruises & don't remember the exact dates. I hope they don't hassle me over that.

For those of you who already have passports, I'm sure that you're much less likely to run into such a hassle, since you're already in the system.

Damn, that's weirdness. I lost my passport abroad and was able to get an emergency passport with not too much evidence of my citizenship (although it took me a full day at the embassy to do so). I did get red-flagged when entering the United States, but it wasn't that big of a deal, I suppose (no cavity search).

Anyway, I'm going off-topic, but I've never heard of them asking that (and I have had 3 different passports in about as many years).

Wow, that is craziness. I just applied for mine and I didn't have to have any of that. Just 2 pictures, my BC, and my driver's license.

The only craziness of the whole thing were the 6 people ahead of me. WHY it took some 2+ hours on them:rolleyes: and the lady was so loud going on and on about whether they were legal citizens or not. Then after they passed there were still 3 sets of people ahead of me who didn't have their stuff together either (don't under 18 people know they need their parent there):rolleyes:

But everything went through and now I'm just waiting for it.

All of those proof of identifications more than 5 years old are a trip:eek:

I think the government might be confused about your documents or about your name. I would talk to the person that did your application and make sure that the name on your birth certificate + driver's license + social security card EXACTLY matches the name on your application in the same order. If any minutiae of information is incorrect on your forms, then that is why they are asking for more forms. Everything has to be perfect for them not to give you the **** they are giving you now. My friend was a naturalized citizen born in vietnam. Post 9/11, he got his passport in the standard time with just the naturalization certificate and driver's license.

yeah, i got my passport two summers ago. i mailed my stuff in and a passport came back a couple of months or so later. none of the crap you're dealing with. i would call and figure out why they think they need all that stuff.

I think the government might be confused about your documents or about your name. I would talk to the person that did your application and make sure that the name on your birth certificate + driver's license + social security card EXACTLY matches the name on your application in the same order. If any minutiae of information is incorrect on your forms, then that is why they are asking for more forms. Everything has to be perfect for them not to give you the **** they are giving you now.

SketchLazy has it right I think. There must be an inconsistency on one of your forms and/or a name problem, misspelling, etc.

I recently had to reapply after I lost my passport and they sent me a package asking for further verification as well. It's because my middle and last names on my birth certificate were different than my current name, so they wanted proof of the name changes in between, which of course wouldn't be explained on my DL or BC.

There should be a phone number you can call and they will be able to discuss the matter with you further and suggest what to send in. Ultimately I explained the situation to them, she made a note of it on my file, and I only had to send them a copy of my marriage license and they put it through. But the first letter was a scary sounding "send us all this crap from your life and/or personal affidavits" which would have taken a lot longer to pull together.

It's funny you joke about them not accepting US dollars for payment. I can see why they wouldn't, but at the same time I also thought it was funny that they wouldn't accept my social security card as further proof of identity.