Past and Future NYU Dental Students - Is NYU really worth $90,000/year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anuebian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, deposit deadlines are coming up and I have a really hard decision to make. I was accepted into NYU with a pretty great scholarship. I also interviewed at UMDNJ and am pretty sure I am going to get accepted. ( I submitted my full application at the end of October, late right?...yea.)

I am also waiting on my top choice school Colombia ( I haven't even gotten an interview, but am keeping my fingers crossed!)

Even though I loved NYU, the tuition is a big deal. Even with the scholarship it's still more expensive than the other schools I applied to.However, I do want to specialize in OMS, Pros, or Ortho ( overachiever much?..yes.)

My question to you is this-- Do you feel that the education, clinical experiences, connections, and doors that NYU opens is worth $90,000? Also, the aforementioned as compared to UMDNJ and/or Colombia.

Does it really matter if I go to UMDNJ or Colombia or NYU and strive for an OMS residency...do they really give out acceptances into these programs using school attended as one of the factors?

p.s. I have searched the forum and none really answer my question so any help/comments/opinions from past, present, and future NYU students specifically or anyone with unbiased knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

for the person who has only 1 acceptance (NYU), of course it will be worth it.

Don't get me wrong--I am verygrateful that I got into NYU....but you're not really answering my question. I meant in terms of the criteria I mentioned above. But thanks for replying.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question to you is this-- Do you feel that the education, clinical experiences, connections, and doors that NYU opens is worth $90,000? Also, the aforementioned as compared to UMDNJ and/or Colombia.

No, if you know you want to specialize, go to Columbia. UMDNJ could land you a specialty residency too.

However much something is worth depends entirely on the person making the purchase/commitment. To me, paying $90,000 for NYU when you can go to your state school for $45,000 - $50,000 is insanity. In fact, even if NYU costs $50,000 I'd still go to my state school. I don't think NYU is seen as an especially elite school, so I don't think it will necessarily open any doors that would otherwise be shut.

Last edited:
I see your point. Thank you.

No, if you know you want to specialize, go to Columbia. UMDNJ could land you a specialty residency too.

However much something is worth depends entirely on the person making the purchase/commitment. To me, paying $90,000 for NYU when you can go to your state school for $45,000 - $50,000 is insanity. In fact, even if NYU costs $50,000 I'd still go to my state school. I don't think NYU is seen as an especially elite school, so I don't think it will necessarily open any doors that would otherwise be shut.

Not that I personally disagree with the opinion on NYU - but wasnt UMDNJs dental school embroiled in a rather large academic dishonesty scandal not too long ago, where students were signing off on their own procedures ? I wouldnt say that going to NYU precludes the possibility of specializing, but I would be careful in saying that UMDNJs reputation would open any doors either. They are both dental schools that have their reputations.But if you are a standout dental student, you could really specialize no matter what school you came from.

I don't know about the 90k. Plenty of the NYU students said that they had apts. they had split for around 1k a month.

So, deposit deadlines are coming up and I have a really hard decision to make. I was accepted into NYU with a pretty great scholarship. I also interviewed at UMDNJ and am pretty sure I am going to get accepted. ( I submitted my full application at the end of October, late right?...yea.)

I am also waiting on my top choice school Colombia ( I haven't even gotten an interview, but am keeping my fingers crossed!)

Even though I loved NYU, the tuition is a big deal. Even with the scholarship it's still more expensive than the other schools I applied to.However, I do want to specialize in OMS, Pros, or Ortho ( overachiever much?..yes.)

Does it really matter if I go to UMDNJ or Colombia or NYU and strive for an OMS residency...do they really give out acceptances into these programs using school attended as one of the factors?

p.s. I have searched the forum and none really answer my question so any help/comments/opinions from past, present, and future NYU students specifically or anyone with unbiased knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I'm concerned, the name on the degree doesn't matter. The only thing that does is the amount of debt you have when you get out. :)

Good luck figuring things out.

Not that I personally disagree with the opinion on NYU - but wasnt UMDNJs dental school embroiled in a rather large academic dishonesty scandal not too long ago, where students were signing off on their own procedures ? I wouldnt say that going to NYU precludes the possibility of specializing, but I would be careful in saying that UMDNJs reputation would open any doors either. They are both dental schools that have their reputations.But if you are a standout dental student, you could really specialize no matter what school you came from.

I just don't think NYU will offer a student distinct advantages as far as opportunities go compared to UMDNJ. I didn't know about the scandal at UMDNJ, but I know that the school takes ethics very seriously (their admissions process testifies to this). Maybe it's the scandal that made them this way.

I just don't think NYU will offer a student distinct advantages as far as opportunities go compared to UMDNJ. I didn't know about the scandal at UMDNJ, but I know that the school takes ethics very seriously (their admissions process testifies to this). Maybe it's the scandal that made them this way.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does UMDNJ offer that NYU doesn't ? By virtue of a smaller class size, I suppose one can argue a more 'personal' education, but that doesn't necessarily translate to distinct advantage when applying to specialty programs. Traditionally, haven't both NYU and UMDNJ been known to turn out a much greater percentage of AEGD/GPR residents and GP's ?

About ethics being taking seriously given their admissions process - ALL schools take ethics very seriously though, not just those forced to take a closer look. I don't know how academic scandals affect perception of a school in terms of specialization exactly - but if it does have an effect, it probably is not a good one.

Traditionally, haven't both NYU and UMDNJ been known to turn out a much greater percentage of AEGD/GPR residents and GP's ?

NYU might churn out more AEGD/GPR because NY state requires a one year residency after graduation to practice. No clue about UMDNJ.

As for the OP, there are tons of threads of people arguing "Columbia vs UCSF vs UCLA vs blah". From those threads, it seems the consensus is that Columbia sends a ton of students into competitive specialties such as os and peds.

Don't be too quick to knock NYU... it's a pretty awesome program and I'd pit my clinical skills against those of just about anyone out there. If I had been offered a spot at my state school I probably would have gone there, but I've gotten a great experience at NYU and am glad to have gone here.

As food for thought, we had a very high placement rate for every specialty and every PG program at NYU (except for ortho) accepted our own graduates.

Go to NYU. Columbia obviously isn't your first choice. You barely even looked at the school, judging by the fact that you can't even spell its name correctly. This is like stating that UCSF or Penn is your first choice school but referring to them as University of San Francisco or Penn state respectively.

Let people who actually have Columbia as their first choice attend.

Last edited:
How much does NYU cost a semester? Please ininclude books and fees but not room and board, as this will vary. Thanks

How much does NYU cost a semester? Please ininclude books and fees but not room and board, as this will vary. Thanks

Whatever it says on the website -- I don't feel like looking it up for you. It's no more expensive than other private schools (impressive considering the new clinics and the NYC location). Room and board is what kicks up the cost of attendance. I'm paying $750/mo for a really run-down room in a 3 br apt. big enough for a chair and my futon -- decent living room and ooooold kitchen. 2nd floor walk-up about 5 blocks from school. I haven't seen anything any cheaper in this area.

I will go to UMDNJ, as my debt will be less.

There are schools like Harvard, Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF and couple of mores and then there are the rest.

If I have choice between those top regarded school and the rest, I will pay more to go to one of the top regarded school but if I have given choice betweeen the rest, then I will pick one with the less cost, considering personal/family factors will be the same at both.