SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Past August MCAT Taker Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Shark007, Feb 24, 2001.

  1. Shark007

    Shark007 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 23, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Basically I am not prepared to take the April MCAT but i'm worried in being too late if I take it in August. Can you still send in your application through AACOMAS without your MCAT scores or do you have to wait on the whole process till late oct. when the scores arrive?

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PJMCD

    PJMCD Member 10+ Year Member

    Nov 22, 2000
    Philadelphia, Pa
    You can send out your primaries without your MCAT scores. However, your file may not be reviewed until your scores are in. I did it that way, and have been accepted to 2 schools. I think it is better to be prepared than to rush into a big exam like the MCAT. But that is just my opinion......

    SCHOOCH Member 10+ Year Member

    Jul 26, 2000
    Fill out your AACOMAS and AMCAS as soon as they become available. Send them in as soon as they will, allow this includes your transcripts. Get your letters of rec. ready NOW. If you do get a secondary fill it out and send it in NOW. I too sat for the August MCAT and was worried about being too late in the cycle. My advice is to get every thing ready NOW!!! Do not let procrastination be the reason you did not get an interview. I have been accepted to all the schools I have applied to with, mind you, my August MCAT score.
  5. BigSkyDreams

    BigSkyDreams Smelly Uncle Member 10+ Year Member

    Aug 17, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa


    It's true that you do not need the MCAT results back before you send in you AMCAS and AACOMAS applications in the beginning of June. If you are not prepared for the MCAT it is better to send them (MCAT)later than to apply with a low score.

    However on the brighter side of things, I took the August exam and waited until October to submit the application because I was mistakenly advised to wait for the results, got secondaries before Christmas and sent them out in mid to late January, interviewed and accepted in February. I don't say this to brag but to let folks know that it can be done, but not advisable.

    And because someone will ask, my GPA and MCAT were all average for acceptances into the schools I applied for. But if I were to do it again and could not take the April test I would send out the primary in June. Also, I have heard that some schools, based on the strength of the rest of your primary application, will send out secondaries and hold them for review until your MCAT scores are published.

    Hope this helps.

    Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day
  6. Cobragirl

    Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;) 10+ Year Member

    Aug 18, 2000
    In residency HELL
    Send in your apps NEVER KNOW what's going to happen!

    Luckily, I sent in my apps by early June, had all my secondaries done by the first week in September, so I was just waiting on my MCAT scores.

    And then guess what? Instead of getting my scores in late September, I got a letter saying that our tests had been LOST!!!! I (and 15 others) had to take the damn thing AGAIN on October 14th...and had to wait even longer for the scores. Many of my friends were waiting for their scores to be released before they sent in their apps, so this REALLY screwed them up. By the time our scores were released, it was so close to secondary deadlines that some of my friends had to give up their chance to apply this year. others were scrambling to finish secondaries and Fed-ex them before deadlines. As for me, I was able to get an interview in November, another in January, and 2 in February. Only 2 of my "late" friends have even received interviews and they were just last week!

    DO NOT, DO NOT wait to send in your application! [​IMG]
  7. tiffsatt

    tiffsatt Member 10+ Year Member

    May 3, 2000
    monroe, MI, USA
    I totally agree with everyone. I took the MCAT in April, wasn't happy with my scores, turned around and took it again in August. My advisors told me to wait on my application so I didn't send it out until about late September. Although I have been offered interviews at almost all the schools I applied too, I definitely wish I would have sent my app in earlier. There would still be more seats available at the schools and not as much pressure on interviewing committees to decide on applicants. "Rolling Admissions Process" A.K.A. Send it in as soon as possible. Good luck!

Share This Page