Past Mistakes and Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2getin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, before reading, I am not looking for ppl to be judgmental. I know I screwed up big time, and I am extremely embarrassed for my past mistakes but I wanted to c wat ppl think, so here it goes. Between 2008-2009 I was hanging out with a bad group of ppl and was being extremely immature in how I handled myself. During this time I got in trouble with campus safety 2x for drinking underage and I got a DWAI (driving while ability impaired) because I was under 21 and had a BAC of .07. I realize I look like a total idiot; and to be honest, I was. But i am sincerely sorry for all my mistakes and I would give anything to have them back. I have since completely turned my life around (my grades the last 2 yrs of school were great and I went to alcohol therapy and education sessions, and I also took on alcohol awareness positions on my campus). I have disclosed all these events to med schools, and I know I screwed up big time--believe me, I know.

I got a 31 on my MCAT and my GPA is 3.65. I have been working as medical assistant for 2 years and I have done 2 years of research (which will hopefully be getting published soon) and lots of volunteering as well as lots of shadowing/clinical experience...Now that all I said all this, I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting into a MD school? (for anyone wondering, the incidents did all occur 3+ yrs ago and I was under 21)

Members don't see this ad.

the separation of time from you incident is good

u clearly have taken action to show that you have matured by staying out of trouble and by doing the said activities.

underage drinking is a non-factor. the DWAI is a little more srs but for the above reasons i think you should be all right

i do not think that these incidents will keep you out of MD school.

I think enough time has past to show that you've matured and own your mistakes. Just keep on doing as you have done and you'll get plenty of interviews.

There, it will be on you to fully explain what happened. People make mistakes and we do believe in the power of redemption.

Ok, before reading, I am not looking for ppl to be judgmental. I know I screwed up big time, and I am extremely embarrassed for my past mistakes but I wanted to c wat ppl think, so here it goes. Between 2008-2009 I was hanging out with a bad group of ppl and was being extremely immature in how I handled myself. During this time I got in trouble with campus safety 2x for drinking underage and I got a DWAI (driving while ability impaired) because I was under 21 and had a BAC of .07. I realize I look like a total idiot; and to be honest, I was. But i am sincerely sorry for all my mistakes and I would give anything to have them back. I have since completely turned my life around (my grades the last 2 yrs of school were great and I went to alcohol therapy and education sessions, and I also took on alcohol awareness positions on my campus). I have disclosed all these events to med schools, and I know I screwed up big time--believe me, I know.

I got a 31 on my MCAT and my GPA is 3.65. I have been working as medical assistant for 2 years and I have done 2 years of research (which will hopefully be getting published soon) and lots of volunteering as well as lots of shadowing/clinical experience...Now that all I said all this, I was wondering what you think my chances are of getting into a MD school? (for anyone wondering, the incidents did all occur 3+ yrs ago and I was under 21)