Past Step I takers..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SYD

Thanks heaps for the above advice..Thats verykind of you.

Geek medic, Do you used BRS Pharm. Was it better useful? I personally like it & am planning to get one but FA review at the back has got a poor rating for this BRS Pharm, So I was a bit worried.

Volvulus
Thanks for the breakdown. Makes a lot of sense.

What percentage of Biochem/ Behav sc were there (% or tot #) Does anybody recall. Biochem is being a killer subject to me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

be aware that your breakdown may be different. I was disappointed in the amount of path on mine - would've loved to have more because I do way better on that than on biochem. Too much biochem on mine. Get so you feel pretty comfortable with each of the disciplines, 'cause you can't predict what your test is going to emphasize. Good luck!

BRS Pharm was great for me. I really liked it. I'm not sure I would just study BRS Pharm alone though. I've traditionally done very well in pharm (probably because of being around the drugs for a while as a paramedic). So, if you're having difficulty with pharm, then BRS Pharm probably shouldn't be your only review.

Katzung has an excellent review book/study guide. The Kaplan home study program covered most drugs in depth.

Thanks for the above

I am coming to reality that no subject is ignorable.

I am starting to spend a bit more extra time with biochem enzymes, metabolism and everything, 'cos it feel so risky like you mentioned to just skip those pages thinking it is going to be 5%.

Reading the Qbookfront it mentioned Biochem could be around 12.5% with genetics another 7.5%

Thats a lot I feel ....

Members don't see this ad :)
Geek Medic

I just took the phone asked for home delivery of Katzung's Pharm. They said 110 $ (This is Aus $)

I said fine. I think I invested at the right place. So, hoping to get it to my door step tomorrow.

With < 6 wks to go it's kind of very tight feeling.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Syd, I don't know what $110 Aussie dollars translates into US dollars. Make sure you got the new version! One was just released this year I do believe!

There's no reason to learn every single enzyme. Learn the big players (i.e., mainly the ones that are regulated, rate-limiting, etc.). Like for heme synthesis, there is no reason to learn every single enzyme in that entire pathway. Know the major players and what inhibits them (D-ALA synthase requires pyridoxine, D-ALA dehydratase and ferrocheletase are inhibited by lead, etc.). That's all I learned out of that whole pathway.

If it's mentioned in a review book, then chances are, it's important. I'm talking about something like BRS Biochem and not Lippincott's biochem. That's nearly a text instead of a review.

Good luck!

Geek Medic

So which would you recommend for quick revision
( or crammiing to be precise) in Bio Chem.

I feel First Aid pages on Biochem have lots of gaps and it makes it difficult.

I was told high yield Biochem was pretty good, but havent seen one in real life- or the other choice is of course BRS biochem ??

I've never looked at High Yield Biochem.

The Kaplan home study program covered biochem in detail. How much money are you interested in spending? $450 for the Kaplan home study program. A little expensive, but the material was covered well... genetics, biochem, cell biology, etc.

There is a book of general principles with those items listed above plus micro, immuno, behavioral science, biostatistics (sucks), general pharmacology, general pathology, and embryology.

A second book of organ systems has embryology, histology, gross anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology for all the organ systems. All were great except for renal physiology.

It's 2200 pages total, so a lot of reading. I liked the Kaplan series.

Geek Medic

Did you do a lot of Q BANK ??

I haven't started as yet 'cos I want to finish my first round of revision before Q time.

What rate did the Q Bank score grow ?? I have allocated ~ 3 wks for Questions, would be happy if it grows say from 60->65->70

If I don't get ~ 60 3 wks before I am planning to postpone step I by another wk or two.

What do you think about my maths :wink: