pat: How much clinical experience is necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior majoring in Cell Biology (pre-med). I have a pretty good GPA
right now (3.95) and will be doing cancer research for the next 2 years, as well as
remaining involved in many time-consuming extracurricular activities both on and off
campus. Assuming I still do well on the MCAT, how much clinical experience do I need
to get into a really good medical school (I still plan to shadow some doctors)? Any
information you could give me would be appreciated. Also, I am interested in
participating in a medical mission trip, so any information with which you could provide
me concerning these trips would be helpful, too. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical experience is not really expected as a premed, but of course it is a plus.
A medical mission trip would be an excellent way to get some clinical experience, as well as do some good in the worl.

Please see the Medical Mission Trip section of the premed and medical student portions of medicalstudent.net for links!

Really? I've heard the opposite. Clinical is basically a requirement and mission trips aren't really that useful. Isn't this correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I've heard the opposite. Clinical is basically a requirement and mission trips aren't really that useful. Isn't this correct?

Lol, you realize this thread is like, 16 years old? You've dug up some ancient history here...

Btw, to answer your question, you are correct. The pre-med landscape has changed a lot since the 1900's...

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that Jim Henderson received a reply from drhenderson, and they both have the same signature? Yet, they joined on different dates, and reside in different states. This 1999 internet is trippy.

Edit: Oh my. Don't skip back to page 3500 or whatever. SDN may have been founded on a psycho pre-med answering his own questions.

Edit 2: The first thread with a user other than Jim. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-the-difference.5952/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
(c) cancer research people trying to get into medical school with minimal clinical exposure since 1999

I'm pretty sure OP and the first reply are the same person. Trying to boost SDN's forum eh, Henderson?

This thread is older than some of the people probably posting on it right now.

Lol the first two replies are absolute gold. I don't know why but for some reason when I think of 1999 SDN I think of witch doctors using potions and spells. Even though it was only 16 years ago.

Neat find. Too elaborate to be at troll.