1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

pat: How much clinical experience is necessary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jim Henderson, Aug 23, 1999.

1. Jim Henderson

10+ Year Member

I am currently a junior majoring in Cell Biology (pre-med). I have a pretty good GPA
    right now (3.95) and will be doing cancer research for the next 2 years, as well as
    remaining involved in many time-consuming extracurricular activities both on and off
    campus. Assuming I still do well on the MCAT, how much clinical experience do I need
    to get into a really good medical school (I still plan to shadow some doctors)? Any
    information you could give me would be appreciated. Also, I am interested in
    participating in a medical mission trip, so any information with which you could provide
    me concerning these trips would be helpful, too. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Clinical experience is not really expected as a premed, but of course it is a plus.
    A medical mission trip would be an excellent way to get some clinical experience, as well as do some good in the worl.

Please see the Medical Mission Trip section of the premed and medical student portions of medicalstudent.net for links!

4. loltothebankaccount

Pre-Medical
    Really? I've heard the opposite. Clinical is basically a requirement and mission trips aren't really that useful. Isn't this correct?

5. yeezuswest

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lol, you realize this thread is like, 16 years old? You've dug up some ancient history here...

Btw, to answer your question, you are correct. The pre-med landscape has changed a lot since the 1900's...

6. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that Jim Henderson received a reply from drhenderson, and they both have the same signature? Yet, they joined on different dates, and reside in different states. This 1999 internet is trippy.

Edit: Oh my. Don't skip back to page 3500 or whatever. SDN may have been founded on a psycho pre-med answering his own questions.

Edit 2: The first thread with a user other than Jim. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-the-difference.5952/

#5 Hospitalized, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  7. allantois

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    (c) cancer research people trying to get into medical school with minimal clinical exposure since 1999

8. Pusheen

Pusheen silently judging
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    #7 Pusheen, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  9. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm pretty sure OP and the first reply are the same person. Trying to boost SDN's forum eh, Henderson?

10. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This thread is older than some of the people probably posting on it right now.

11. whitemagic

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol the first two replies are absolute gold. I don't know why but for some reason when I think of 1999 SDN I think of witch doctors using potions and spells. Even though it was only 16 years ago.

12. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW
    2+ Year Member

Neat find. Too elaborate to be at troll.