PAT........I score 100% on angles...How do I do it on REAL DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothguy80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I always score a perfect on angle rankings, hole punching and counting sides of squares,

But I remember, the first time I took the real DAT, last year..I was TERRIFIED at the angle rankings, they all look the same..why on earth does ADA do that to us?

How am I supposed to tell which is larger? Is there a method that always works?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

what are you practicing on? I find Kaplan's angles a breeze; topscore's a little harder IMO.

Havent taken the DAT yet, so I am in a similar boat.

As far as methods for angles...the only one that I've heard of is the 90 degree method....basically make 90 angles with the ones you gotta rank, which is somehow supposed to be helpful. Takes too much time IMO and doesnt really make it any easier. Still, might work for you.

And, I am with you; I've seen some angle ranking questions that are seriously 1-2 degrees apart. I've printscreened and compared the angles in photoshop up close and I can barely tell the difference, even when I have rotated and superimposed the angles.

hey there

i just took the dat on tuesday and a 99.5% on the PAT

umm, as for angles a nifty little mech'm i used was sort of imagining the angles all laying flat on a horizontal, and then comparing them. [remember to get the smallest and largest picked already = kaplan strategy].

another thing was that I also got the smallest and largest angles, looked at the answer choices containing my S and L and then compared the two answer choice selections. I took their (Small - B - C - Large) B & C and saw if i could "fit" one angle into the other one in my head. Went with my gut.

sorry if this is confusiing!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? Because dentistry is different than anything you will have done in your life. The admissions director at Pacific told us that a good PAT score demonstrates that the student can learn to think about things differently. These students will be able to learn the complexities of dental surgery and treatment planning more effectively than a student who does poorly on the PAT portion of the DAT.

Ok, so I always score a perfect on angle rankings, hole punching and counting sides of squares,

But I remember, the first time I took the real DAT, last year..I was TERRIFIED at the angle rankings, they all look the same..why on earth does ADA do that to us?

How am I supposed to tell which is larger? Is there a method that always works?

thanks

if you have the barron's book...look in the angle ranking section..it gives tips about comparing the niche (basically drawing a small circle around the point the 2 rays meet), also the have another strategy of trying to "park the angle" ( i think that's what its called)....which is like trying to fit one angle into another....i don't have it in front of me so i can't elaborate...but i found it helpful...
-ld

one of the methods i resort to after already picking my small to large, is comparing the point where the two sides of the angle come together. the sharper the point appears, the smaller the angle. now i'm not too sure how well this would work on the actual test, since I haven't taken it yet and I hear the resolution of the screen is horrible:thumbdown:. but its definitiely something u can keep in the back of ur mind. it helps me with the kaplan questions at least