"Patch" Adam in NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. "Patch" Adam is invited to speak with all the health professional students at NOVA today!!!

I admire his dream of "Free Health Care" for everyone.

Hey other Nova students, share your opinion here please. I am eager to hear from all of you.
>(@o@)<

Members don't see this ad.

Hey mr. free medicine,

How do you plan on paying off your loans?
And if medicine was free in a none profit-taking environment who would pay for your medicare supported residency?

I for one was a little disappointed. He is for free medical care but against universal care. When he painted his pretty little picture of everyone working in a field they're good at (in his little WV area) and everyone making only a little money that's necessary it reminded me of communism. In theory, it's not all that bad... but we know the downfalls. I think taking a less extreme ground like wanting universal coverage would be appropriate. Physicians can still make very good money (to pay back loans) and they never worry about a patient's insurance. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the replies. I agree with both of you. I admire Patch's ambition to pursue his dream, but I also agree that his actions are too extreme. I don't think I can walk his path.

This post may be a couple of years too late but Patch came to my undergrad school and touted communism as the superior system. Many were pissed and walked out when he got pissed when ppl asked him about the movie and for an autograph. Personally I lost all respect for any good he has done thus far.

I remember some interviews they had with him when the movie came out and didn't he get all upset how the movie made a lot of money but his cause wasn't getting any support? He is kind of wacky but I guess that makes him original. I wonder why he won't sign autographs or talk about the movie.....weird...that's not good bedside manner, is it?

That's funny that this thread was revived today, as he spoke at my university tonight. I had to miss it due to car failure, but I have lots of friends who went.

I saw patch adams in the summer of '94. Back then, he did an imitation of a ******ed person while being a clown... which consisted primarily of him holding a rubber fish that he would look at and say "this is a fish". apparently he thought this was a "pure" form of comedy or something. i was not impressed. he then told us a story about his boy scout leader teaching/helping (can't remember which) him to masturbate. The man is friggin whacked. he caused quite a stir, and made a lot of ppl engage in discussions, but overall i think he was a poor excuse for a speaker.. If he did talk about anything important, it sure didn't stick.

take it easy

homonculus