Patch Adams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pikevillemedstudent

Bengals Fan
Reaction score
How may out there think that Patch Adams would have been happier as a D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if the title really matters at this day in age.

However, if you were referring to the time he went through med school (late 60s-early 70s) then I would agree he would have been happier as a DO. Those days, the physcians esp the MDs were exactly how they were portrayed in the movie-hard nose gunners, who think they are Gods w/out any true concern about the pt as a human being.

Today, I don't think it really matters because regardless if you're a DO, you can still be as awful in treating people. It depends on who you are as a person...not the title.

There are a lot of down-to-earth, approachable, caring MDs as well as DOs, but there are also awful, unapproachable, competitive, gunner-type MDs as well as DOs in today's society. It just depends on what type of person you are or want to be
smile.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

I know that movie was based upon a true story, but I also know that directors like to take artistic liscence when retelling a true story. With that said the movie character, patch, was a looney clown (fact or fiction). Robin Williams is a looney clown in all of his comedic roles so it's probably the latter. Sure it's great feel good entertainment, and I laughed along with the rest of the audience. However, in real life, I seriously doubt I'd want a looney clown for a physician. A physician should be caring, compassionate, knowledgable, approachable, likable and have a sense of humor (just to name a few). A physician should not be Bozo the Clown. If he was my Doctor I'd question his sanity. Oh well that's my opinion anyway.