path and step3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was discussing this on the gen residency issue thread, but thought it would be pertinent here as well. Many of us starting path will have to take step 3 in their intern year, and i was wondering if people had thoughts, esp. those who finished their intern or who are pathologists:

1. When is a good time to take it, usually the beg. of intern year is roughest - new adjustments, having to learn a mountain of new data etc.

2. Does path actually aid you in step 3, i heard it's basically like step 2 - all clinical/the next step business so it would seem path would not help

3. Any good resources/review books to use/recommendations

4. How hard is step 3 in comparison to step 2?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was at a tumor board once and someone asked the 2-3 Attending Oncologists there what was the mechanism of BCG in fighting bladder cancer. None of them had a clue. However, the pathologist there explained it clearly in detail. The irony, of course, is that a pathologist has nothing to do with perscribing and understanding drugs, but being a 100 times more interested in the nature of medicine and disease, he knew it.

Moral of the story is, as pathologists we already have an inherent interest in medicine and disease in general, and will have absolutely no problem passing step 3, even though we have no clinical training beyone medical school.

As far as when to take step 3, I would take it right away unless the state you are in has requirements about having at least a year under your belt before you take it as they do in some.

The question I want to know is: Once we pass step 3, can we moonlight in ERs or as a "doc in the box" on the weekends. I hope so as I will need some extra cash.

pathstudent,

Thanks for the advice. I was actually told the exact opposite from some random path residents that it gets increasingly difficult each sucessive year as you lose clinical skills/judgment. I agree that we as pathologist/pathresidents/pathstudents have a more intrinsic either understanding or intersts in the basic science and medicine of diseases.
Also, excellent point concerning if path residents can moonlight, do path residents usually moonlight, i wasn't aware of us doing that, i've heard mostly surg/FP/IM residents as they are more adept/clinically up to date. Can anyone answer this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to take Step 3 next Spring. I just don't feel ready right now. As far as review books go, I'm open to suggestions as well. Good luck in residency everyone!

i'm not an expert about matters concerning Step 3 and its timing, but many people i've spoken with have said that a Path resident should take Step 3 as *soon* as possible after getting their degree. It is best to get it out of the way.

Step 3 is not a very difficult exam from what i hear....so you might as well put in 2 weeks of solid studying and get it over with.

Then again, *procrastination* always seems like a beautiful option due to the "im starting my residency in July and will be worked like a dirty dog on a street corner-so-i-might-as-well-enjoy-my-springtime-sunshine" way of thinking.

just my take.

cheers