Path Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonpeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school all MSII's take the USMLE PAthology Subject exam after completing the path course. I'm just curious what the importance, if any, of this test is.

Will pathology residency programs use these scores as part of the admissions process? If so, how important are they? And what percentile scores would be appropriate/desirable in a pathology residency candidate?

Thanks in advance to Great Pumpkin and whoever else can provide some info. Good luck matching MSIV's.

Members don't see this ad.

these shelf exams will have no impact on your residency applications. The purpose of these shelf exams are to better prepare you for the USMLE. take advantage of them, because they are very useful for Step 1.

Step 1 will obviously be a factor in obtaining residency. Im not sure what Path program directors consider more...Step 1 or Step 2, but i would *think* they look at Step 1 more (due to the higher raw path. score) but who knows....lately ive been hearing a lot of programs like candidates who have solid clinical backgrounds.

cheers