Path to Anesthesiology, is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schuffy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the real possibilities of pursuing a career in Anesthesiology would be for someone in my current situation. I graduated with a B.A. in the Department of Communications and then took a few years off to pursue a career in Film and Media Relations. Around my junior year of college I began to have a heavy interest in going into the medical field and started to fill my electives with Biology courses. Two years later (I'm 23) I really wish I would've pursued Med School with a focus in Anesthesiology. What is the reality of making this happen? I graduated without debt, I am not married, and I do not have kids so there is little risk for me personally in regards to time and finances. Is it possible for me to take the MCAT and go straight to Medical School or do I need to return to school and take more classes in physics/chemistry/math...etc or finish another degree in Biology or related field? All answers would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Kyle

Members don't see this ad.

Largely depends on the institution you apply to. Some schools require calculus, some don't. Most require standard pre-med pre-reqs: 2 sem bio w/ lab, 2 sem physics w/ lab, 2 sem Chem w/ lab, 2 sem Orgo w/ lab, + other 3000+ level science courses.

As far as Ana goes, that all depends on how you do in med school, on Step 1, clerkships, yadda yadda yadda...

You're not there yet. Not even close. Concentrate on getting into med school first.

Last edited:
Yes it's 100% possible for you to become an anesthesiologist.

From what you've described you probably can't just take the MCAT and go straight to medical school because you probably don't have even half of the pre-req's that are required. You absolutely MUST take these classes but you don't have to do a whole degree.

But from reading your post it sounds like you're still very early in figuring out how the whole process works. FYI, you don't become an anesthesiologist by getting an MD "with a focus in Anesthesiology."

If you haven't taken all your pre-requisite courses, then the timeline for you looks something like this:
  • Now until Spring 2013: Physician shadowing, volunteer work, maybe some research, get letters of recommendation, take MCAT, apply for medical schools via AMCAS
  • 2013-2014: interview at schools and hopefully get accepted in your first year applying (commonly referred to as a "glide year")
  • 2014-2018: Attend medical school
  • 2018-2022: Do internship followed by residency in anesthesiology

As you can see, it will take about 10-12 years before you can be a practicing anesthesiologist. The process is long and complex, and it's not much shorter or longer for other medical specialties.

My advice is to go to your local bookstore and get book on "How to Get Accepted to Medical School" or something like that. Read the entire thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the real possibilities of pursuing a career in Anesthesiology would be for someone in my current situation. I graduated with a B.A. in the Department of Communications and then took a few years off to pursue a career in Film and Media Relations. Around my junior year of college I began to have a heavy interest in going into the medical field and started to fill my electives with Biology courses. Two years later (I'm 23) I really wish I would've pursued Med School with a focus in Anesthesiology. What is the reality of making this happen? I graduated without debt, I am not married, and I do not have kids so there is little risk for me personally in regards to time and finances. Is it possible for me to take the MCAT and go straight to Medical School or do I need to return to school and take more classes in physics/chemistry/math...etc or finish another degree in Biology or related field? All answers would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Kyle

That's a really strange post. You started taking biology courses in college without investigating the pre-requisites for med school. Now you ask about anesthesiology without reading a single website on how to get into medical school.

I would hate to have you as a lab partner.

...I was wondering what the real possibilities of pursuing a career in Anesthesiology...pursued Med School with a focus in Anesthesiology...

Search function, my friend. All of your questions can be easily answered that way. Yes, you need to take more classes, not a full biology degree. I would be interested in why you are so keen on anesthesiology. You have so little understanding of the physician education process, how do you know so strongly that gas is what you want to do?

...yea, what they said. You can do it if you do the pre-reqs and do well then take the MCATs. And they nailed this one too, do your research!!! Read as much as you can about it, it's as simple as doing a homework assignment.

Uggg, sigh. . .

It's alright Kyle.

Look, check your Bio courses to see if they meet pre-med bio requirements. Same thing with your Gen/Inorganic Chems I and II. After that there's Organic Chem I and II, and Physics I and II - full labs and all of that. Biochem is great too, and some MSs want you to have it. Same thing with Calc, though most are OK with just Algebra w/ Trig and Statistics. Basically Alg and Stats are required for all health fields--as wells as the general bios and gen chems.

You can take through to Organic Chem I and Physics I and should be OK if prepped and practiced well for them MCAT while taking OC II and Physics II.

So this is what you need: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/62892/msar/

Amazon has it for ~ $30 something.

Try to get a tech job in some ICUs, especially where they do a lot of surgical recovery. Then try to hook up with some anesthesiologists and critical care intensivists. Personally, I find the critical care intensivist part overall more interesting. But you can get to it after anesthesiology residency. Otherwise, just try to hook up some anesthesiologists for shadowing. It's often an on very early kind of job--prepping up pts and many things before the surgeries start, and the surgeries start early. Definitely in residency training you will often have to be IN by 0600. Also if there are tons of back-to-back cases and high level ED surgeries, your hours can be long, and it is stressful in terms of accountability. It's not a laid back job, simply "passing gas." You really have to be on your toes.

But you know, first things first--> getting everything in order to your very best ability to apply and hopefully get accepted to medical school. There are a lots of hoops, and the hoops have to be jumped through very carefully. Then it's pretty much 2 years of shoving information into your brain and then the 2 clinical years Steps to licensure and then matching to residency/fellowship--then board certification. (Some people think that anesthesia is not all that tough. I find it funny that some folks actually believe that anesthesiology is not stressful. It often is, and you really do need to be very sharp and on the anal retentive side of things.) There's a fair "sue-potential" d/t potential surgical M&Ms. Things can turn to total crap very quick--and this is many times more true with kids and babies. The one time you aren't on your toes, someone can quickly end up in the toilet.

I mean it does pay to do some research.

Otherwise, please overlook the talk-down approach from other forum members. I think some are tired of a number of insincere posters. OTOH, it's unfair to assume everyone is playing games or is a lazy idiot, even if the person can use the search fx and chose not to do so.

Makes me wonder about bedside manner. The world is toxic enough.

Sometimes we just need more of this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/38127729/support-can-be-beautiful-bra-mint

;)

Last edited:
Doesn't it, though?

Y'all have forgotten Q's corollary to Godwin's law. As a disagreement on SDN grows longer, the probability of someone being told the argument displays what kind of doctor their opponent will be approaches 1.

Otherwise, please overlook the talk-down approach from other forum members. I think some are tired of a number of insincere posters. OTOH, it's unfair to assume everyone is playing games or is a lazy idiot, even if the person can use the search fx and chose not to do so.

I can be guilty of this.

I'm simply talking about how unkind people can be on these forums. Insulting people you don't know is indicative of one's character and/or integrity.

+1 * 10^10 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
They're all out of the 2011-12 version of the MSAR. The 2012-13 version comes out in April.

Amazon just cancelled my order yesterday FFFFUUUUUU. :mad:

They're all out of the 2011-12 version of the MSAR. The 2012-13 version comes out in April.

Amazon just cancelled my order yesterday FFFFUUUUUU. :mad:

With your profile, do you really need it? :)

I'm simply talking about how unkind people can be on these forums. Insulting people you don't know is indicative of one's character and/or integrity.

Thinking you can infer anything about my character and/or integrity because I told someone to do a search says more about you than it does about me, muchacho. If the OP feels insulted, that wasn't the point. If jl lin wants to post her usual novella-length answers to the OP's oft-repeated question, she is more than welcome. If I want to post my usual "please do a search and not knock informative posts off the first page of threads" post, I am more than welcome. If you have something more informative to post, you are also more than welcome. That's the beauty of the forum.

Thinking you can infer anything about my character and/or integrity because I told someone to do a search says more about you than it does about me, muchacho. If the OP feels insulted, that wasn't the point. If jl lin wants to post her usual novella-length answers to the OP's oft-repeated question, she is more than welcome. If I want to post my usual "please do a search and not knock informative posts off the first page of threads" post, I am more than welcome. If you have something more informative to post, you are also more than welcome. That's the beauty of the forum.

I hadn't read your post until now. What you said wasn't unkind and wasn't what I was referring to. I don't mind people telling others to use the search function; that's always valid.

Take care.

I hadn't read your post until now. What you said wasn't unkind and wasn't what I was referring to. I don't mind people telling others to use the search function; that's always valid.

Take care.

No worries, my man. Congrats on that Tulane accept, by the way. Wife went to undergrad there, and we grew up nearby. Great city and good program.

Take care.

correct.

Pons, I'm just trying to put myself in the OP's place. It's like how would I feel if there was frequently this condescending tone. Yes, people can ask someone to search in a way that's positive. What's wrong with using a brighter tone and w/o a slap? It just isn't necessary to jab someone in the gut b/c they ask a question.

The fact that others get what I'm saying about tone says something.

No worries, my man. Congrats on that Tulane accept, by the way. Wife went to undergrad there, and we grew up nearby. Great city and good program.

Thanks. We're enjoying being here. It's Mardi Gras season! My wife and I are both Louisiana natives and love New Orleans. We've lived in Boulder, Colorado for about the past 15 years though. I think New Orleans is a city everyone should visit at least once.

Some of you newer members don't understand why other members are expressing frustration with noobs who don't use the search function because you haven't been around for enough app cycles yet. This summer will be the beginning of my eighth app season since joining SDN, and yes, the OP's questions do come up again every year. And yes, they come up several times per year. And yes, it does start to grate on the long-time members after a while when someone comes on here and clearly has done zero homework about what it takes to go to medical school. And yes, a forum search (or even looking at the sticky I've spent many hours over a period of several years putting together) will answer most questions that noobs ask, including these.

All that being said, welcome to SDN, Schuffy, and please don't be afraid to participate because of this relatively rough beginning. Please also feel free to liberally partake of the links I have provided in the sticky at the top of the forum page, which has links to threads, other forums, and websites that will help you learn about the premed pathway, including what coursework you must take to be eligible to apply. Also, as others have already explained, you do not have "majors" in medical school; you would do a residency in anesthesiology after you graduate from medical school. Finally, yes, it is possible for you to go to medical school--as you will see for yourself once you read up on the requirements. ;)

Some of you newer members don't understand why other members are expressing frustration with noobs who don't use the search function because you haven't been around for enough app cycles yet. This summer will be the beginning of my eighth app season since joining SDN, and yes, the OP's questions do come up again every year. And yes, they come up several times per year. And yes, it does start to grate on the long-time members after a while when someone comes on here and clearly has done zero homework about what it takes to go to medical school. And yes, a forum search (or even looking at the sticky I've spent many hours over a period of several years putting together) will answer most questions that noobs ask, including these.

All that being said, welcome to SDN, Schuffy, and please don't be afraid to participate because of this relatively rough beginning. Please also feel free to liberally partake of the links I have provided in the sticky at the top of the forum page, which has links to threads, other forums, and websites that will help you learn about the premed pathway, including what coursework you must take to be eligible to apply. Also, as others have already explained, you do not have "majors" in medical school; you would do a residency in anesthesiology after you graduate from medical school. Finally, yes, it is possible for you to go to medical school--as you will see for yourself once you read up on the requirements. ;)

I think this is true for many (most?) internet forums. New users come along and fail to use search and get reprimanded for not doing so.

And wait, you've not personally had 8 application cycles, right? If so, that's one more than this one guy my advisor at CU told me about that finally got into medical school on his SEVENTH attempt. I positively can't imagine that.

I think this is true for many (most?) internet forums. New users come along and fail to use search and get reprimanded for not doing so.

And wait, you've not personally had 8 application cycles, right? If so, that's one more than this one guy my advisor at CU told me about that finally got into medical school on his SEVENTH attempt. I positively can't imagine that.

Not with her MCAT score. Pretty sure she needed precisely one :)

Not with her MCAT score. Pretty sure she needed precisely one :)

Ah yes, the P/F GPA and 43 MCAT. Now I remember.

And with that I bid each of you a good evening. My wife and I are heading to the French Quarter for a fun night.

Well, considering that I'm graduating from medical school in less than three months (and hopefully matching for residency in three weeks!), it's probably safe to conclude that I haven't been applying to med school over and over again this entire time. :p

No, I mean that I have been an active SDN user since the day I joined this site in the fall of 2004. I applied to medical school in 2005, and also became a mod in 2005 (originally in the MCAT forum after I helped found the MCAT Q&A forum). I modded in PA for a while too. These days, I don't read PA or MCAT much anymore, but I skim through this forum (and the other forum I currently mod, which is Physician Scientists) pretty much on a daily basis. Since I can use the mobile version from my BB, it's convenient to get on for a few quick minutes here and there even when I'm busy. And so yes, I have seen a lot of repeat questions over the past seven years!

Pons Asinorum said:
Noticed you around the forums a little more lately. Glad to have you back, Q. I feel pretty strongly that your match will go...as you expect. Hope you can relax around here a bit before you start the real deal.
You know how they say that med school is like high school? Remember what the spring semester of your senior year was like in HS? Yeah, that. I'm basically done with all of my med school requirements, and what better use of my time can there be than to stalk the residency forums along with all the other neurotic MS4s out there? I'd be neurotic myself, but I'm already too far mentally checked out to be able to work myself up over something as trivial as where I'm going to spend the next three years of my life. And seriously, how awesome is is that Match Day coincides with St. Paddy's Day this year? :laugh:

As for the sniping bit, everyone knock it off already, will ya? That's getting old already too. :hungover:

As for the sniping bit, everyone knock it off already, will ya? That's getting old already too. :hungover:

I meant snip as in I didn't quote your extensive post, but wanted to indicate what I was replying to. I snipped it out. Sorry :)

And me and jl lin going back and forth is only boring to everyone but me and jl lin, so we'll see if I can resist replying to her last...

I meant snip as in I didn't quote your extensive post, but wanted to indicate what I was replying to. I snipped it out. Sorry :)
I wasn't referring to that. I know the difference between snipping and sniping. I meant sniping. ;)

And me and jl lin going back and forth is only boring to everyone but me and jl lin, so we'll see if I can resist replying to her last...
That's what I'm talking about. :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Kyle

While I agree with everyone who said you probably could have found out a lot of the answers to your questions with a simple search, I'd make a few suggestions.
1. It's generally smart to decide on your specialty once you are in the clinical years of med school and have a chance to see multiple specialties, not before. While it's fine to have a "leaning" at this stage, 90% of med students change their mind at least once regarding specialties. For this reason, you don't get to "focus" on anesthesiology, you simply will have the ability to do some electives in it in your fourth year of med school, AFTER you have gone through all the core rotations (IM, Surg, OBGYN, Peds, Psych). I personally suggest that you don't go to med school if you think you will only be happy in a single specialty, because not everyone gets where they want -- there's a fair amount of competition, and if you struggle in school, the boards, etc, the doors open to you may be very different than if you excel. Still lots of good choices, but perhaps different -- best not to have your heart set before day 1. So the person with the open mind tends to find happiness more easily.
2. There are lots of prereqs for med school, consisting of two semesters with labs of bio, chem, orgo, physics, math, english and sometimes biochem. You need the science courses to do okay on the MCAT anyhow, so your first step would be to find a post-bac situation to take them, not simply try to learn the MCAT. doesn't work that way. Plan on this being a several year venture. You also are going to have to get some clinical exposure (volunteering at a hospital, shadowing), or no school is going to feel like you know what you are getting yourself into.
3. Depending on what role you see yourself in in anesthesiology, you might be able to get to your target career as a CRNA without nearly as much effort.

No, it's boring to me too. I mean I can live w/o it. :) Generally I really have no beefs w/ you.

Thank you all very much for the responses. It was very informative, and I appreciate all sides of the discussion. I was not trying to be insulting or, to an extent, ignorant by just coming on here and posting. I was referred by several sources who guided me to this forum as a means to gather the most updated and accurate information. Thank you again for your time and patience.