Path to PhD w/ a very low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homemadepasta

Reaction score
Hello All -

I am exploring what it would look like to become a psychologist and could use your help thinking through the options.

Background:
  • GPA - (2.9) from a top 20 University. History major. Have worked in the nonprofit sector for last few years
  • GRE - 170 verbal, 160 quant on practice test. Planning to take in early November.
  • Located in Central NC so have easy access to Duke, UNC, NC State, NCCU (an HBCU)
  • My partner is a 1st-year medical resident. They’d like to pursue a fellowship so there’s a chance we’ll need to move in Summer 2023.
  • My plan is to spend the next few years bulking up my application and then apply to doctoral programs once we know where we’ll be for their fellowship (hope to start a program in 2024). I know that not being geographically flexible isn’t ideal.
  • I am interested in assessment, teaching, and providing therapy. I don’t have any research experience, so I can’t speak to that aspect yet.
  • Interested in studying bipolar disorder in AfAm community, sleep/diet/gut + mental health

Questions:
  1. The elephant in the room is my extremely low GPA - long story short there was a traumatic event that took place during my final year that resulted in me failing a bunch of classes. My GPA does not reflect my academic ability. I think getting a master’s degree to compensate for my low undergraduate GPA makes sense. However, it looks like the only Master in Clinical Psychology program available within 1 hour of me is at NCCU. I worry that the faculty don’t seem to have strong research backgrounds/connections but the program does require completion of a research thesis.
    1. Does prestige matter for a “makeup master’s”?
    2. Is it possible to do research with faculty that are not at your home institution?
    3. Would it be better to do a DIY post-bacc at one of the better institutions in the area?
    4. Is there another way to overcome my low GPA (perhaps getting MSW or counseling degree)?
  2. In North Carolina you can practice as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA) with a Master’s in Psychology and do supervised clinical work, assessments, etc.
    1. Do you think working as an LPA would help or hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program? It seems like practicing at the master’s level can be controversial for some.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated! I am most interested in funded PhD/PsyD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, no. Many 'impressive' PhD programs in clinical and counseling psych are located at flagship state universities that are considered middle of the road for undergrad education. Prestige is more likely to come from publishing with somebody who is well-known in their research niche or if one was trained in a program known for a specialty.

1. Is it possible to do research with faculty that are not at your home institution?
I knew multiple people in grad school who continued to work on projects with prior mentors from undergrad or MA/MS, while enrolled in their PhD. But this may be difficult in your situation since you don't have these connections.

TAs or unpaid post-bacc research is an option but I'm guessing they will all require relocation, unless you can find something in NC.

1. Do you think working as an LPA would help or hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program? It seems like practicing at the master’s level can be controversial for some.
Generally speaking, I don't think clinical experience will hurt people and can be an asset for some programs. But it won't make up for deficits, such as less research experience than other candidates, poor fit with a program, poor stats compared to other candidates with an otherwise similar CV, etc.

I don’t have any research experience, so I can’t speak to that aspect yet.
From what you've described, getting research experience and research output will be most important in being potentially competitive for a PhD. Given your low GPA, a MA/MS with a strong research component such as an original thesis may be necessary since many programs list a 3.0 GPA cutoff.

Hello All -

I am exploring what it would look like to become a psychologist and could use your help thinking through the options.

Background:
  • GPA - (2.9) from a top 20 University. History major. Have worked in the nonprofit sector for last few years
  • GRE - 170 verbal, 160 quant on practice test. Planning to take in early November.
  • Located in Central NC so have easy access to Duke, UNC, NC State, NCCU (an HBCU)
  • My partner is a 1st-year medical resident. They’d like to pursue a fellowship so there’s a chance we’ll need to move in Summer 2023.
  • My plan is to spend the next few years bulking up my application and then apply to doctoral programs once we know where we’ll be for their fellowship (hope to start a program in 2024). I know that not being geographically flexible isn’t ideal.
  • I am interested in assessment, teaching, and providing therapy. I don’t have any research experience, so I can’t speak to that aspect yet.
  • Interested in studying bipolar disorder in AfAm community, sleep/diet/gut + mental health

Questions:
  1. The elephant in the room is my extremely low GPA - long story short there was a traumatic event that took place during my final year that resulted in me failing a bunch of classes. My GPA does not reflect my academic ability. I think getting a master’s degree to compensate for my low undergraduate GPA makes sense. However, it looks like the only Master in Clinical Psychology program available within 1 hour of me is at NCCU. I worry that the faculty don’t seem to have strong research backgrounds/connections but the program does require completion of a research thesis.
    2. Is it possible to do research with faculty that are not at your home institution?
    3. Would it be better to do a DIY post-bacc at one of the better institutions in the area?
    4. Is there another way to overcome my low GPA (perhaps getting MSW or counseling degree)?
  2. In North Carolina you can practice as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA) with a Master’s in Psychology and do supervised clinical work, assessments, etc.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated! I am most interested in funded PhD/PsyD programs.
Sorry about your tough time in undergrad - I hope things are better now. I'd recommend a research-based masters in psych (experimental, etc) to help you figure out if you like research and to demonstrate a good gpa. Also, some of these programs are funded. I wouldn't worry about it being clinical in nature tbh.

If you end up applying to clinical psych PhD programs, your partner may have to follow you rather than the other way around. That's down the line, just something to think about as it gets closer.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what you've described, getting research experience and research output will be most important in being potentially competitive for a PhD. Given your low GPA, a MA/MS with a strong research component such as an original thesis may be necessary since many programs list a 3.0 GPA cutoff.

Thank you for this note! I will look into the other programs available to see if there are any research-focused programs in my area.

If you end up applying to clinical psych PhD programs, your partner may have to follow you rather than the other way around. That's down the line, just something to think about as it gets closer.

I think our best bet is going to be tailoring down their fellowship applications to places with several psych programs. Or perhaps I'll apply a cycle earlier and then hopefully they match nearby. To have true geographic flexibility, I'd have to wait until 2026 haha!

I get not wanting to be long-distance from your partner or having your education limiting their options, but with your GPA, lack of research experience, and very specific research interests, you probably can't afford to be picky or geographically limit yourself. Applicants without these issues and stellar CVs can hurt their chances by limiting themselves, so it would likely hurt your chances much more than the typical applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
I will look into the other programs available to see if there are any research-focused programs in my area.
If you go this route, definitely figure out if the program is accredited and whether completion can lead to a clinical license. And each state will have its own laws governing what MA/MS degrees can be used clinically so that'll be important if you do something in NC and then move elsewhere.

You might already know this from your own research but it's hard to get into PhD programs in psychology given that most reputable programs admit 5-8 students a year so having backup plans as you pursue this path would be wise (e.g., MA/MS degree that would allow you to be a therapist). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user