Path without autopsy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moony

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am another one of those people very interested in doing pathology but my problem is I dont think I could stand doing autopsies.It reminds me of my med school days of Gross Anatomy and dissection.I was very glad when that phase of med school got over and I didnt want to take apart dead bodies ever again.But I am genuinely interested in all other aspects of Pathology.I have heard from some people that once you finish path residency, if you so choose you can join some community practice and never have to do autopsies again.Is this really true?If so how hard is it to get such a deal?If I later decide to go the route of Academics , is it possible to be able to strike such a deal somehow?
Thanks .

Members don't see this ad.

In private practice you can find places where you do very very few autopsies, but you may have to do one or two a month. In academics you can find places that you do not do any.

I would say make sure you are really interested in path, because in a sense surgical path is like an autopsy in bits and pieces.

Also, during residency you are required to do at least 50 to become board certified.

Autopsies are nothing like the anatomy lab. You normally have an assistant that does all the eviceration for you and hands you the organs to examine and take sections. Also, there is a ton of paperwork.

good luck