1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

pathologists prescribing drugs

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by jayman, Dec 9, 2003.

1. jayman

jayman Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey everyone.

a friend of mine is considering pathology, and she asked whether pathologists could prescribe drugs. obviously any m.d. can legally scribble a drug prescription on any old piece of paper, but would pharmacists, etc wonder why a pathologist is prescribing them? would that raise any red flags? i was curious, too, as i've never heard of one doing so.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

My uncle who is a pathologist calls in prescriptions for people all the time. No big deal. He doesn't have a DEA number, so obviously he can't prescribe controlled substances.

4. pathstudent

pathstudent Sound Kapital
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    But still it is a good idea to get a DEA number as that is how the pharmacy can most easily look you up.

Why would it be suspicious for a pathologist to be perscribing medication? They are physicians just like everyone else. I am going to get my DEA number and everything. If my kid has a strep throat, I will culture it myself and perscribe the antibiotic. Why should I not be allowed to do that? And why would that look suspicious to you?

5. governaitor

governaitor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

why the hell can't pathologists perscribe drugs? they are docs too.

6. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think what the thread-starter was saying is that it's rare that a pathologist would be writing a prescription for an actual patient in a hospital. So it might be fishy if a pathologist is writing a bunch of prescriptions, particularly if they were for painkillers.

I suspect the pharmacy wouldn't notice unless it was uncommonly frequent or the medicines were particularly potent.

7. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Any licensed physician can prescribe drugs.Whether or not its wise for someone who has limited or no clinical experience after med school to be doing so is another matter. I would strongly suggest not prescribing medication for people unless you feel well trained for that.Prescribing medication is not usually within the scope of a Pathologists practice.There are legal implications in doing it.If there are complications resulting from the prescription writing(or "calling it in") serious questions will be asked and you will be held responsible. Check with your malpractice insurer as to whether or not your policy covers you for rendering this type of service.

8. rirriri

rirriri easy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if a pathologist writes a prescription for a friend or a relative, i don't think it's a problem.....but it will always be his responsibility to act in a responsible manner.

BUT i think a pathologist prescribing medicine to a patient at the hospital IS quite odd and would lead to some questions if it got back to the appropriate people.

9. ny skindoc

ny skindoc Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

When friends and family ask for prescriptions its a generally a good policy to have them consult their own physician for it.You have not fully examined them,dont know their full medical history, meds,allergies etc..and can easily make a serious error,even with what seems to be an innocuous medication.

10. rirriri

rirriri easy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    true, true...you are right. but for example, my father (pediatrician) has no problem giving me or my family antibiotics if we seem to have an infection....after all, let's face it: a full physicial exam is virtually useless when dealing with a cough or a strep throat, etc......

another example are headaches and bodyaches, everyday stuff.....i don't think it's asking too much to give a friend or relative some pain relievers until they get to their physician.

technically, sure there are rules for everything....but realistically, every doctor helps out their own families and friends.

11. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I would think there would be several situations where it would be completely fine to write a prescription as a pathologist.

For example, a family member has run out of a prescription for high blood pressure, so instead of them making an expensive run to the doctor, you check their b.p., make sure their Rx is doing the job, and then rewrite it for them.

Something else--you're out of town with your family and they lose their meds. Get out your scratch pad and go to the pharmacy.

Also, I would think there would be some drugs that would be pretty harmless, but that a lot of families might need...like Retin-A. I'll be a lot of pathologists that have teenagers have written that Rx before.