1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pathology Barin Slide: What is this?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bth7, Apr 29, 2007.

1. bth7

bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Howdy folks,

I'm working on an Autopsy report for my pathology class. I looking at this slide of Brain tissue. I can't figure out AT ALL what's going on. What are those grey things? At first I thought meningioma psamomma bodies, but this lady didn't have any gross meningioma findings at autopsy and this slide isn't of the dura, its brain tissue.

What's going on here? She was very old. Is this normal aging? Please HELP ME!!!

bth

[​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Snake

Snake Just climbin' the staff
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I showed the slide picture to a prof at my school (undergrad) who teaches general histology, not medical histology or path so his response is given with that caveat. He said

Well, this is way outside of my area of expertise. I expected something easy, like Lewy bodies or amyloid plaques. These structures are big! I would expect psammoma bodies to be more opaque, so I can't go along with the student's guess. All I can offer though is a wild guess. They might be abscesses caused by cerebral bacteremia or toxoplasmosis?

Hope this helps

4. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They appear to be concentrically laminated structures of varying sizes. They don't look like the cysts or tachyzoites of toxo and don't resemble coccidioidomycosis. I think that these are corpora amylacea. What was the history of the patient? Any history of neurodegenerative disease or other neurologic symptoms? History of immunosuppression? There is a lack of inflammatory cells, which makes me think that this is not an infectious process if that helps any (ie not an abscess). How many hours elapsed between the time of death and the post?

5. xlithiumx

10+ Year Member

I second corpora amylacea. After a quick search, I've found that they appear in a subependymal distribution after the age of 40 or so and reflect normal brain aging. They are, however, increased in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer, et. al.

6. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician