Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pathology for Organ Based Curriculum

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by harrisonIM, Dec 4, 2008.

1. harrisonIM

2+ Year Member

My school is organ based so there is no dedicated pathology course. I follow along in Robbin's and noticed that for every organ system there are a hand full of diseases that are never covered. The general pathology chapters are also not covered very well (covered in fragments as they pertain to the organs). I was wondering if other people at organ based schools also have this problem? And is it worth it to read those general path chapters of Robbins? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IHeartNerds

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sure, we miss a few things. Then again, there are a few things we cover in excessive detail moreso than Robbins has. I think that's the nature of the beast -- Robbins is great but some of its details are unnecessary unless you're becoming a pathologist.

We covered some of the major topics in the first half of Robbins in our initial organ class which was sort of hematology/oncology. I think it's worth a read but then again, parts of it would be pretty boring in lecture format...

4. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We had 2 months of general pathbiology and then the rest of this year is organ-based pathophys. I think it works out really well this way because general path gives you a great intro to all of the topics.