Pathology for Organ Based Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrisonIM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is organ based so there is no dedicated pathology course. I follow along in Robbin's and noticed that for every organ system there are a hand full of diseases that are never covered. The general pathology chapters are also not covered very well (covered in fragments as they pertain to the organs). I was wondering if other people at organ based schools also have this problem? And is it worth it to read those general path chapters of Robbins? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, we miss a few things. Then again, there are a few things we cover in excessive detail moreso than Robbins has. I think that's the nature of the beast -- Robbins is great but some of its details are unnecessary unless you're becoming a pathologist.

We covered some of the major topics in the first half of Robbins in our initial organ class which was sort of hematology/oncology. I think it's worth a read but then again, parts of it would be pretty boring in lecture format...

We had 2 months of general pathbiology and then the rest of this year is organ-based pathophys. I think it works out really well this way because general path gives you a great intro to all of the topics.