Pathology Job market after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediadocto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am actually very very new to the world of pathology other than I did it as a subj for my boards. I am a FMG with 250s but with a cs attempt. I was diagnosed with otosclerosis(mild/moderate) and I use hearing aids. I did my home residency in Pediatrics but due to my mild/moderate hearing issue I have applied for pathology and pediatrics this year and I have already got 8 ivs from pathology programs vs 3 ivs for pediatrics.

What is the job prospect post residency for pathology? I have googled a bit, some threads on reddit seem to be over-dramatizing or is it really that bad. I understand that I might need to consider doing a fellowship too to be more competitive etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I am actually very very new to the world of pathology other than I did it as a subj for my boards. I am a FMG with 250s but with a cs attempt. I was diagnosed with otosclerosis(mild/moderate) and I use hearing aids. I did my home residency in Pediatrics but due to my mild/moderate hearing issue I have applied for pathology and pediatrics this year and I have already got 8 ivs from pathology programs vs 3 ivs for pediatrics.

What is the job prospect post residency for pathology? I have googled a bit, some threads on reddit seem to be over-dramatizing or is it really that bad. I understand that I might need to consider doing a fellowship too to be more competitive etc.
Sorry there are no threads RE the job market in this forum...even if you search for them...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your skills and where you apply and what kind of practice you seek. Needs can be cyclical. The broader the net you are willing to cast and if you are willing to get some experience before you settle in a locale of choice, its not to bad.

Hold it, there is a crazed Reddit community complaining about the job market in Pathology?!

Please link reddit subforum

Path job market is tight if you are holding yourself in a tight geographical area. If you are willing to be mobile, you are outgoing, reasonably intelligent and arent holding down an obscene amount of debt you will be fine IMO but be very weary in terms of groups who have had a revolving door of junior staff.

I wish you the best on your career and your health.

Reactions: 1 user
Path job market is tight if you are holding yourself in a tight geographical area. If you are willing to be mobile, you are outgoing, reasonably intelligent

Well, if you add in "and willing to be flexible in your future duties" and "competent at your duties" that seems to eliminate most recent graduates, as we are starting to discover. What percentage of people out there do you think don't get glowing references? (by glowing I mean, "I would work with this person and their skills are excellent")

LOTS of recent and fairly recent graduates seem to define themselves as not mobile (often due to spouse or family concerns), and lots don't want to touch some of things that private pathologists outside of reference labs do.

IMO but be very weary in terms of groups who have had a revolving door of junior staff.

Endorse.

Reactions: 1 user

Get one or two fellowships. Job market IS that bad. Likely won't be where you want and you'll be grinding 10 hours a day to make sure turn around time is adequate. Also, there will be a line for your job so they can replace it quickly.

Get one or two fellowships. Job market IS that bad. Likely won't be where you want and you'll be grinding 10 hours a day to make sure turn around time is adequate. Also, there will be a line for your job so they can replace it quickly.

OK, well none of these people seem to be available, so if you do know of people truly struggling to find jobs, tell them to check job ads because we are certainly looking for competent applicants. If they're not having success, they may be one of the individuals I have complained about before.