pathology jobs after fellowship in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathDock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an IMG from India having MD in pathology..I took Step1,2CK,n waiting for CS results..I have a couple of doubts if somebody could clear them I would be highly grateful.Thank you in advance:
1)Can I work in US after doing fellowships in USA?
2)How long are the fellowships programs?
3)If I need to do residency after fellowhips,then how long would be the residency then?
4)Do I need to clear Step3 if I apply for fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am an IMG from India having MD in pathology..I took Step1,2CK,n waiting for CS results..I have a couple of doubts if somebody could clear them I would be highly grateful.Thank you in advance:
3)If I need to do residency after fellowhips,then how long would be the residency then?

You really seem to have some very basic misunderstandings re residency, fellowship,
etc. AP/CP residency is 4 years. AP or CP only is 3 years. Fellowships follow
residency and are 1 year (neuropath 2 years). Of course, step 1 must be passed and I believe all parts of step 2 must be completed. I believe step 3 is done during/after your PGY1.
Having an "MD in pathology" makes no sense in an English language context.
As far as working in the USA, that is an immigration issue that I know nothing about.

Reactions: 1 user

1. Yes you can there are IMGs who work right after fellowship. Dont know the process because I am US citizen.
2. Fellowships mostly are 1 year, sometimes two (second year is for research).
3. You have to do residency first then fellowship. Dont know anyone who did fellowship then residency.
4. For the most part you need to pass Step 3 to get a medical license which fellowships require. There are some programs that will take you without having passed Step
3 (not common).

Members don't see this ad :)
3. You have to do residency first then fellowship. Dont know anyone who did fellowship then residency.

In many specialties, there are IMGs who complete non-ACGME fellowships (not postdoctoral research fellowships) before residency in the US. This could be a way for IMGs to get into more competitive specialties or residency programs, such as ophthalmology.

I'm not a pathologist; I'm a scientist, but I know a lot of foreign-trained pathologists and have been married to one through match, residency, and now fellowship, so I have some knowledge of the process.

In other specialties, it's not unheard of for physicians from abroad to do a US fellowship as the first step towards practice here. I think that route is either uncommon or non-existent in pathology though. I know one foreign physician who entered US pathology residency after doing a "research fellowship" at the intersection of their original specialty and pathology, but I think that "research fellowship" was basically a postdoc.

OP, in my opinion you should go to a forum that is specific to foreign physicians who are preparing for the USMLE. There are two or three big ones online. I say that because everything from the usual timing of Step 3 to immigration concerns is significantly different for foreign physicians. Since this particular forum is populated mainly by AMG's and Caribbean grads, it's likely to be more relevant to you after you enter US training, at which point the issues become more similar for AMGs vs foreign physicians.

Also, you need an understanding of how US medical training is structured. Before going further, I would advise you to become very familiar with the overall path from where you are to US practice--and also to decide whether it's right for you. It's a long, difficult, and expensive road--a couple of years to match, another 3-4 of residency, probably followed by another 1-2 of fellowship. I myself did a PhD, postdoc, etc. so I'm not unfamiliar with long training, repeated moves, and low pay...but still, blah...it's a lot to go through if the alternative is being a practicing physician in your own country. Just my $0.02, speaking as somebody who hasn't been through it myself but who has seen it up close and personal.

Last edited:
You really seem to have some very basic misunderstandings re residency, fellowship,
residency and are 1 year (neuropath 2 years). Of course, step 1 must be passed and I believe all parts of step 2 must be completed. I believe step 3 is done during/after your PGY1.
As far as working in the USA, that is an immigration issue that I know nothing about.

Thank you very much Doctor for clearing my doubts..:)

Thanks very much Doctor...I really appreciate the help:)

1. Yes you can there are IMGs who work right after fellowship. Dont know the process because I am US citizen.
2. Fellowships mostly are 1 year, sometimes two (second year is for research).
4. For the most part you need to pass Step 3 to get a medical license which fellowships require. There are some programs that will take you without having passed Step
3 (not common).
Thanks very much Doctor..I really apprecite the help!

I'm not a pathologist; I'm a scientist, but I know a lot of foreign-trained pathologists and have been married to one through match, residency, and now fellowship, so I have some knowledge of the process.

In other specialties, it's not unheard of for physicians from abroad to do a US fellowship as the first step towards practice here. I think that route is either uncommon or non-existent in pathology though. I know one foreign physician who entered US pathology residency after doing a "research fellowship" at the intersection of their original specialty and pathology, but I think that "research fellowship" was basically a postdoc.

OP, in my opinion you should go to a forum that is specific to foreign physicians who are preparing for the USMLE. There are two or three big ones online. I say that because everything from the usual timing of Step 3 to immigration concerns is significantly different for foreign physicians. Since this particular forum is populated mainly by AMG's and Caribbean grads, it's likely to be more relevant to you after you enter US training, at which point the issues become more similar for AMGs vs foreign physicians.

Also, you need an understanding of how US medical training is structured. Before going further, I would advise you to become very familiar with the overall path from where you are to US practice--and also to decide whether it's right for you. It's a long, difficult, and expensive road--a couple of years to match, another 3-4 of residency, probably followed by another 1-2 of fellowship. I myself did a PhD, postdoc, etc. so I'm not unfamiliar with long training, repeated moves, and low pay...but still, blah...it's a lot to go through if the alternative is being a practicing physician in your own country. Just my $0.02, speaking as somebody who hasn't been through it myself but who has seen it up close and personal.
Thank you so much for your advice ..I do really apprecite it very much:)

Well doc
I read the whole thread. There's been a misconception. The repliers didn't get your question. MD patho what you mean is residency in India.
In USA MD means just like MBBS. So people here thought you are just MBBS.
There's a misunderstanding. You need to say that you have done residency in pathology.

do

MD pathology means in India, residency training of 3 years in pathology after Med school.

i know my opinion is just one, but since we have too many pathologists applying for too few positions, any reason to screen an applicant is used. i know some groups that automatically trash any application with a foreign medical degree. just keep that in mind before you make the long journey to the states. youre probably better off going for internal medicine and subspecializing, than going into pathology.