Pathology Small Corporate lab offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Old thread that is becoming less relevant to everyone with every passing day, but I think that's a low ball offer. The caveat is if it's a low-volume job that isn't that busy, it might be an appropriate salary unless you're required to staff some place full time 10 hours a day even with the minimal work.

not sure why you have to make a remark that it’s “less relevant to everyone everyday”. I was asking advice from people about my job and whether I should take it. I was asking for advice about some terms of the agreement like malpractice. In the end I took it so not sure why you had to make a snarky dismissive remark like that.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a corporate lab offer of $210,000 and 11 days of vacation, 5 days CME. One friend received 265k (not including bonus) and a similar vacation time of 2 weeks and 1 week CME. Both small outpatient labs (biopsy mostly and paps thyroid FNA). You guys consider these Low ball offers? How about the 2 weeks vacation? Never heard of any medical specialty where they get only 2 WEEKS of vacation PER year.

My concern is if I work in an outpatient lab like this will it hurt my chances of getting a hospital based job in a few years?

This may be the only option I have in a tight job market.

You would be useless to me in the hospital if this is all you did for years. I wouldn't waste time training someone who did this and decided to come back (I've done it....pass next time).

I think they are screwing you on vacation, oil field workers get more vacation. You didn't mention benefits which should factor into the idea if your "salary" is low. Is there a salary for you? What is the volume? If you are making them 2 million a year and taking about 250 or so I think you have wiggle room for negotiation. Many new grads are demanding 350k plus which I wonder where they ever end up. You didn't mention if you had to work weekends, I know many who work in these types of settings have to at least do every other weekend sign out to keep those clinician's happy who are allowed to client bill anatomic path asap.

If you are at the end of your career and this is the last hurrah I presume it sounds good. Also depends if you are paid off on everything, which may make a difference.

I wonder how this offer will change with the current time of Corona virus. Good luck, let us know.

Oil field workers also get more pay...well they USED TO GET MORE PAY. Not anymore. Although the same could be true with pathologists I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
New grads are lucky if they can work in July.
I imagine some folks that were already signed will get a pink slip before they set foot in the lab.

You would be useless to me in the hospital if this is all you did for years. I wouldn't waste time training someone who did this and decided to come back (I've done it....pass next time).

I think they are screwing you on vacation, oil field workers get more vacation. You didn't mention benefits which should factor into the idea if your "salary" is low. Is there a salary for you? What is the volume? If you are making them 2 million a year and taking about 250 or so I think you have wiggle room for negotiation. Many new grads are demanding 350k plus which I wonder where they ever end up. You didn't mention if you had to work weekends, I know many who work in these types of settings have to at least do every other weekend sign out to keep those clinician's happy who are allowed to client bill anatomic path asap.

If you are at the end of your career and this is the last hurrah I presume it sounds good. Also depends if you are paid off on everything, which may make a difference.

I wonder how this offer will change with the current time of Corona virus. Good luck, let us know.

I am at the beginning of my career. At this point I don’t care if you or anyone is willing to take me for a hospital based job. My concern is just to get a job and get signout experience.

I inquired and I am being asked to signout 30-35 cases a day. I get a 401k Can’t remember How much they will match my contribution right now.

I negotiated vacation and will get 2 weeks vacation 1 week CME until the end of the year. I will get 3 weeks vacation and 2 weeks of vacation for next year until June 2022. I signed a two year agreement.

the thing is that this is the ONLY option I have to live in my hometown. I have no choice but to take this job if I want to be happy and live in a place I like .

the caseload consists of Pap smears, GI biopsies, thyroid fnas, prostate biopsies, nails, and some gyn biopsies

Last edited:
I don’t think I will stick around with this job if they don’t increase my pay or don’t give me a bonus for my work.

but I will say this I don’t feel good about getting another job in my area if I wanted to leave either and this is based on my current job search.

Last edited:
New grads are lucky if they can work in July.
I imagine some folks that were already signed will get a pink slip before they set foot in the lab.

I see what you are trying to say but I think groups are thinking long term after the situation improves by July and volumes gradually go back to normal or is this wishful thinking?

I had not signed the contract until recently (during this whole covid thing) and yet they were still intent on signing someone for the position.

I know of a small (less than 100 bed) hospital based job 2.5 hours away in no man’s land and they are still hiring for July. The salary was 220,000 per year.

Last edited:
Many new grads are demanding 350k plus which I wonder where they ever end up.
I got a job like that as a hospital employee. I have at least one friend who also accepted an offer >350k straight after fellowship.

I guess I’ll reply although this thread is getting less relevant to everyone. Sorry yaah.

I am at the beginning of my career. At this point I don’t care if you or anyone is willing to take me for a hospital based job. My concern is just to get a job and get signout experience.

I inquired and I am being asked to signout 30-35 cases a day. I get a 401k Can’t remember How much they will match my contribution right now.

I negotiated vacation and will get 2 weeks vacation 1 week CME until the end of the year. I will get 3 weeks vacation and 2 weeks of vacation for next year until June 2022. I signed a two year agreement.

the thing is that this is the ONLY option I have to live in my hometown. I have no choice but to take this job if I want to be happy and live in a place I like .

the caseload consists of Pap smears, GI biopsies, thyroid fnas, prostate biopsies, nails, and some gyn biopsies

weekends are off except I have to go in for less than an hour to read fungal plates or do a little grossing.

there were issues with the tail coverage that I don’t think they were truthful to me about. I managed to get perpetual tail coverage. They sounded like they had to fill the spot. They didn’t make any mention about lower volumes due to Covid and they were intent on signing me.

I had only one other offer in a totally different city which I did not want to live in. That was it.

I put a 90 day early termination without cause provision which will allow me to leave if I find something better next year. But then again they can fire me if they want

the people seem nice but who knows they can prob stab me in the back and let me go. I’m just going to get my experience and see how it goes.

I knew of jobs 2-2.5 hours out from my hometown. Two of them didn’t reply back to me. One was looking for dermpath/Gi so I wasn’t being considered.

I contacted about 40-50 pathologists online and some didn’t respond. Some were nice to respond and tell me they weren’t hiring. I got one interview based on my online messaging. However they were considering two other ppl and I didn’t even get a response (even after I had an in person interview)when I asked them if I was being considered for the position.

so in my hometown I got one offer. That’s why I took it. There was no abundance of opportunities. I had to take what I could get. I only found two hospital based positions within a 1 to 1.5 hour radius of my hometown

the pathologist at the lab mentioned that they would be happy to have me And that she knew I had other options, but in reality, I loled to myself and thought “no I don’t have any other opportunities.”

I stopped reading your screed at” 30-35 cases a day. “ I RARELY had a day that light in my career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped reading your screed at” 30-35 cases a day. “ I RARELY had a day that light in my career.

lol it is what it is. I had no other offers in my area. That prob explains the salary

I’ve heard from more senior pathologists that cases are much more labor intensive to sign out now compared to earlier days.

Don't feel bad about taking a little less than an ideal job in terms of pay and vacation because you want to move back home and be around family. That's invaluable and I did the same thing for my first job and I couldn't be happier. Times are different now anyways, this ain't the 90s or early 00s when things were booming.

I’ve heard from more senior pathologists that cases are much more labor intensive to sign out now compared to earlier days.

Probably because senior pathologists have slowed down considerably. With voice recognition software and click through synoptic reporting, signing out is incredibly fast.

Probably because senior pathologists have slowed down considerably. With voice recognition software and click through synoptic reporting, signing out is incredibly fast.
Does anyone else find EPIC synoptic reporting ultra-tedious?

Don't feel bad about taking a little less than an ideal job in terms of pay and vacation because you want to move back home and be around family. That's invaluable and I did the same thing for my first job and I couldn't be happier. Times are different now anyways, this ain't the 90s or early 00s when things were booming.

thanks the only other job I know of now that’s trying to recruit me is 2.5 hours away in the middle of nowhere. If I had taken that job I would prob drive home every weekend, A long commute.

not sure why you have to make a remark that it’s “less relevant to everyone everyday”. I was asking advice from people about my job and whether I should take it. I was asking for advice about some terms of the agreement like malpractice. In the end I took it so not sure why you had to make a snarky dismissive remark like that.

It is not snarky or dismissive (or at least was certainly not intended that way - sorry it came across that way). I was commenting that a lot of the original responses and even the original post have changed because the entire world has been flipped around. The considerations are different and the circumstances are also. This doesn't even mention all the stuff that goes around "what is happening in the private reference lab world during this pandemic" which may invalidate a lot of prior assumptions and whether a monetary offer is high or low. And my response was late, and therefore may have been no longer relevant to anything. So there. Not everything is a personal attack, friend.