Pathology trained dermatopathologists and dermpath fellows...quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patrick O

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you see/saw hospital consult cases in your program?... in particular what I mean is did you write up the consults (first doc to evaluate the pts) and then present to the derm attending on call, resident on call, and med students. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let those third-year med students intimidate you...

How many of you see/saw hospital consult cases in your program?... in particular what I mean is did you write up the consults (first doc to evaluate the pts) and then present to the derm attending on call, resident on call, and med students. Just curious.

I saw hospital consults, but just while tagging along with the derm resident. I did not present any of the patients myself to the attendings.

Members don't see this ad :)
We aren't in charge of hospital consults. We rotate through three sites, and only at one (the VA), do hospital consults sometime get wheeled into clinic where we can take a look. The senior (2+) derm resident writes them up and presents them.
We do get outpatient consults to clinic, where we do have to treat them as any other clinic patient...see them, present to attendings, write notes, scripts, etc.

I am on hospital consults (covers 2 outside hospitals outside of derm which is in its own separate campus) once or twice a week......granted the attendings are great and low key... but these are often not seen until way after 5 o'clock. I am beginning to think I am the only DP fellow in any program doing these. Hmmm?

Weirdness PatrickO!
At my program, only the upper level dermatology residents do consults (second and third years). The first years don't do inpatient consults at all! As for call (which may include hospital consults on the weekends) the first year residents only start that midway during the first year.
Hmmmm...sounds like you have a "unique" experience!

Wierdness indeed, caffeinegirl!

I am on hospital consults (covers 2 outside hospitals outside of derm which is in its own separate campus) once or twice a week......granted the attendings are great and low key... but these are often not seen until way after 5 o'clock. I am beginning to think I am the only DP fellow in any program doing these. Hmmm?

I defintiely was not taking any call, I just tagged along the derm resident as they went through the hospital (or drove to an affiliated hospital) and I was out the door before 5 every day.