pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i posted a question in another forum and think it would be better here. sorry, here it is -

hey all,
how helpful do you all think brs pathology is for second year? and what is the best strategy for using it? during year 1, i used brs phys only usually the weekend before an exam to review. however, many people make it seem that brs path is essential for year 2, and i really dont get how to use this during a unit instead of towards an exam. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

medicinehopeful said:
i posted a question in another forum and think it would be better here. sorry, here it is -

hey all,
how helpful do you all think brs pathology is for second year? and what is the best strategy for using it? during year 1, i used brs phys only usually the weekend before an exam to review. however, many people make it seem that brs path is essential for year 2, and i really dont get how to use this during a unit instead of towards an exam. thanks

Get RR Path instead.

No, stick with BRS path. Read it as many times as you can and it will pay off.

medicinehopeful said:

hey all,

I didn't find BRS Path to be essential for 2nd year, but I did think it was essential for Step 1. I read the pertinent BRS Path chapter before I began cramming for each Path exam. I felt that BRS was not nearly as detailed as my class notes, but provided a great overview and pointed out key topics. I would then read my class notes a few times and then annotate BRS with any helpful info from my notes. It was kind of a pain, but it helped me do really well in my path class and by the time Step 1 studying came around, I'd already read BRS once and was pretty familiar w/ the book. I would NOT recommend only reading BRS and blowing off your class notes. There's way more detail you're responsible for in class. Do the same w/ Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple and come May, do your best to memorize First Aid. Those are the only books you'll need.

Members don't see this ad :)
carrie198 said:
I didn't find BRS Path to be essential for 2nd year, but I did think it was essential for Step 1. I read the pertinent BRS Path chapter before I began cramming for each Path exam. I felt that BRS was not nearly as detailed as my class notes, but provided a great overview and pointed out key topics. I would then read my class notes a few times and then annotate BRS with any helpful info from my notes. It was kind of a pain, but it helped me do really well in my path class and by the time Step 1 studying came around, I'd already read BRS once and was pretty familiar w/ the book. I would NOT recommend only reading BRS and blowing off your class notes. There's way more detail you're responsible for in class. Do the same w/ Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple and come May, do your best to memorize First Aid. Those are the only books you'll need.

for sure. the only thing i'd add is BRS Physiology. it could be knocked out in about 3-4 days and is a great book. as for BRS path VS goljan notes I had gone with BRS path but didnt start using it until step 1 came along. i thought it was just ok but that might be b/c i hadnt used it for my classes beforehand. if you can get a hold of both the goljan RR and BRS path in the bookstore, just compare them and go with the one you like the best. i glanced at the goljan notes after having finished brs path and i think i would have chosen the goljan notes over BRS if i had known about them earlier. in the end it doesnt really matter, the main thing is that you just get 2-3 books and then review the hell out of first aid and do questions. i kind of spread myself too thin and tried to read too many books for step 1 which hurt me in that i was only able to get through ONE detailed reading/memorizing of first aid before my exam. the more times you're able to go through that book, the better. also, avoid the kaplan usmle review books. i liked their mcat books but thought their usmle books were crap, correction - overpriced crap.

thanks all for your replies.
carrie said that i should use my class notes mostly. the only problem that i have with that suggestion is that i have no class notes. i go to a pbl school where we are pretty much on our own, and i think this kinda hurt me during year 1. i didnt realize how independent learning at this school was until mid-year1 and fell a little behind. i dont want that to happen this year. is the big robbins path book a good book to read with class? or is it too "heavy"/"hard" to read? also, i've heard that the robbins review question book is really good. for those that have used it, do you suggest to use that during class? or wait til usmle review time to save those questions?