Pathoma at a systems based school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdj16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M1 at a systems based curriculum school and am getting fed up with not being able to understand my professors because of their accents and even when I can I'm tired of simply sitting there listening to them read me slides and explain nothing at all. I've seen a lot of people touting Pathoma as a study source once they get into their second year. At my school, we're lumping everything about each system in together, so I've been considering signing up for the big long Pathoma subscription so that I'd have it all throughout the rest of this year and then all of second and also for the couple weeks to study for step1. The thing I'm wondering about is the 8 view limit on each video...has anyone else gotten the 21 month subscription and ended up in a bind at the end because you can't watch the videos anymore? Is this even a good idea or should I slog through and just verbatim memorize the minutaie(sp?) on the powerpoints and then cram the high yield stuff at the end of M2?

Members don't see this ad.

Watching it 8 times would be A LOT. My school has systems curriculum and the most I've watched any video is like 3 times.

Most people watch the video and take extensive notes (the book that comes with the subscription has wide margins for that very purpose) the first time. You really don't need to watch it more than once or twice if you take great notes. It couldn't hurt, but you won't need all 8 watches.

I believe I've heard of people getting the # reset anyway.

Thanks for your response. In your opinion has it helped you to understand things more clearly or do you think just due to the extra exposure its helping?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly have no idea why you would watch those videos eight times. Even over the course of two years I don't see why you would reach that limit. Watch it once for the first pass, MAYBE once or twice for exam review, and MAYBE once or twice for boards review.

I wouldn't watch the videos as as general review (i.e., to "keep fresh" on the content) - they're way too long and that's a pretty inefficient way to cover the material. Just read the book - all of the material in the videos is in the book sans some explication, and it's a pretty easy read. You could probably read the entire thing in a few hours. For what it's worth, I basically use Pathoma as my method of learning, and I haven't watched any of the videos more than once. If you think you might benefit from the additional explanation, just annotate your book and voila, you're good to go.

It definitely helps with understanding. Our school focuses heavily on Robbins for path for 2nd year, but I combine Pathoma as my outside source and I feel like my comprehension of the big topics is very good b/c of that.

Dr. Sattar explains things very well. Robbins covers topics in as much detail as you could ever want, but if you don't get the idea behind what's going on it won't stick.

I cannot speak to how helpful it is for board prep, yet, but it's pretty helpful for 2nd year systems path at my school, at least.

Gotcha thank you guys. I guess i didnt think about that but 8 times is kind of a lot lol. My school uses robbins as well so we have that free online but i feel like i spend so much extra time reading things that are too deep for me from that. Thanks again guys.

The view limit could accidentally be tripped by loading a video and not finishing it. But it doesn't really matter. You can request a reset of the limit and the customer service has a quick turnaround. The limit is in place to protect from people who buy one account and share it with their class.

I'd second that its a great resource. I use it on new topics as they come up to lay a foundation. Doesn't go into nearly enough detail, but it helps you add that detail later in a meaningful way. If you're going over pathology or needing to reference Robbins at all, I would highly recommend it, even if that means a two year subscription.

I've been on the Pathoma plan for this block and it's been awesome. You won't regret it.

Gotcha thank you guys. I guess i didnt think about that but 8 times is kind of a lot lol. My school uses robbins as well so we have that free online but i feel like i spend so much extra time reading things that are too deep for me from that. Thanks again guys.

FWIW, my general approach to pathophys has been:

-read through Robbins - more to get a general feel for the topic than to actually learn anything substantial (this is probably the one thing you can cut out if you don't want to do anything - I enjoy reading Robbins because I like that EVERYTHING is explained, but it's a pretty inefficient way of covering the material since the reading is so dense)

-listen to Pathoma lecture and read the corresponding section

-review with RR Path/FA

It takes time and it's a bit onerous to use all of these different sources, but I find that you get a slightly different perspective from each source so it may be more clear in, say, Pathoma than in RR or vice versa.

pathoma is great, don't get me wrong. but, I think there are a lot of holes in pathoma that you need to fill with Goljan, who ties topics together MUCH better than Sattar does. Pathoma + Goljan=win. As I progress I've realized what a waste of time Robbin's is, so I barely waste my time with it.

pathoma is great, don't get me wrong. but, I think there are a lot of holes in pathoma that you need to fill with Goljan, who ties topics together MUCH better than Sattar does. Pathoma + Goljan=win. As I progress I've realized what a waste of time Robbin's is, so I barely waste my time with it.

Yeah, I agree. Pathoma is great for a general overview and for covering the material that is "high yield for examination purposes," as Sattar says, but IMO it isn't sufficient on its own.

(sent from my phone)