Pathoma Goljan Battle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmd1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive posted previoulsy regarding pathoma and goljan. This is my dilemma, i'm an IMG, but born and raised in texas. I love using pathoma, Dr. Sattar is a certified beast, and he makes it easy to make concepts and understand. My issue is is the pathology that is in pathoma enough for the step 1? Because i initially had planned to do pathoma and goljan, but its seeming like im going to fry my brain trying to read all of goljan, also Goljan has many more diseases written in his book compared to pathoma, any help would be appreciated! I have no other choice but to score 240+

Oh yeah, also one of my friends told me to try doing pathoma and BRS instead of pathoma and goljan. Any ideas on that as well? bc i know goljan is just King.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking just from my experience, pathoma+UW+FA+wikipedia was enough for me. YMMV

But I think when you say this:

I have no other choice but to score 240+

you are just psyching yourself out. It's beneficial and normal to set a goal, but that goal should be a motivator for you to work hard and do well. It should give you confidence and something to strive for. It should not inspire panic or fear or desperation which is how that statement came across to me. Just my $0.02

very understandable, no worries whatsoever, but that wasnt desperation, thats motivation for me. i'm one of those where when i miss a question, i actually enjoy to understand why i missed it and how the examiners made the question to prove their point/understanding of the topic. Thanks for your help though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Watching pathoma while doing organ systems is not anything even approaching a large time comitment. Over the 2-3 weeks when you're doing an organ system you're talking about something like 3-4hrs.

You only need Pathoma to do well on step 1. I was skeptical too, especially when a few people had spoke highly of RR Path. However, I never got to truly use RR Path for Step 1 studying and I did fine. Countless others have posted on here using only Pathoma as their supplemental Path source and they did well too.

It is much much much better to minimize your sources and know them well than to have try to use multiple sources or dense review books. Apparently RR Path used to be much more succinct, after cracking it open, I'm not sure that I would really recommend that anyone use it other than as a extra resource in case you need to look something up.

Goljan helps you think like a doctor
except I still can't answer pimp questions without sounding like a ***** when I have an audience