Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daact

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
IS this a good book for teh boards I?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have it and use it every day...havent taken the boards yet so no cmment there, but it is excellent for systems exams. First Aid rates it as an A- pathology resource for boards.

I also haven't taken the boards yet , but a lot of current third years at my school said they used it in parallel with the BRS path book and FA, and that it was really good for exams and helped a lot for the boards. I'm using it right now for neuropath, and while it's not good as a primary source (I read selected bits of Robbins + BRS/RR), it's great for reviewing before an exam to help tie everything together clinically. Also, I like it for PBL because it gives some treatment suggestions and differentials.

So, in brief, I think it's great, but cna be overwhelming if you look at it before you learn the relevant material. Use it as a supplement though - it works for me.

daact said:
IS this a good book for the boards I?

Thanks

I really like Pathophys by Ayala. I use it towards the end of my studying after I've gone through my class notes, BRS path, and First Aid. It's a nice way to integrate the material. There are also certain KEY characteristics/associations of diseases in that book that are not mentioned in BRS path (even though it's my favorite review book of all time).

I suggest you use it. It doesn't add much extra studying time and yet it paints a nice picture of whatever disease you're trying to learn. G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this book very helpful organizing the material in a simple way, This book with Goljan Rapid Review facilitates the study for the boards
Excellent Book!! Easy to read

anyone use this book recently (as in the past year) for boards study? and what do you think of it?

I wouldn't use it as a sole resource, but it is good to turn to if you don't understand something from another book.

I use this book for some sections for board study.

For example, the chapter where they talk about HTN and the pharmacological agents used and some of the contraindications. I found this section very helpful.

I use this book for some sections for board study.

For example, the chapter where they talk about HTN and the pharmacological agents used and some of the contraindications. I found this section very helpful.
It is also awesome for the physiology part of renal.

I agree with most posters ... this book is more adjuvant than a sole source for learning pathophys., but it is not absolutlely necessary and you may become overwhelmed too many books to choose from in the end.

I think it's a good book but because there was little in it that didn't overlap with one of my other review books, it didn't get much use.

If you like it and have a role for it in your plan, use it by all means.