Jun 29, 2009
Status
Other Health Professions Student
From my understanding if a pt with medicare gets a post-surgical UTI, then medicare will refuse to cover the cost of treating that UTI as a form of holding the hospital accountable.

Why don't I hear anything about patient accountability during the talks of making socialized healthcare work? For instance, if you're going to take part in socialized healthcare then there are certain things you have to do like regular check-ups, cancer screenings, medication compliance. Like if a pt refuses to control their insulin, then your foot amputation isn't going to be covered. Never go for a breast screening your entire life? Good luck when you have metastasized cancer.

I know this sounds cold, but how is it fair to even consider paying for the public's healthcare if they're not going to even try to take care of themselves. Couldn't this be the kind of incentive needed to really get preventative medicine going? Couldn't the government also create an incentive for doctors for having a better pay out for preventative care?

I'm sure these are all ideas that have been considered. I would like to know what's stopping them from implementing them. Outside of the difficulty of finding a way to prove patient non-compliance, or this being too paternalistic.

koopa_troopa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I think it is a good point. In order to reduce costs and bring real health reform there needs to be a real change in American culture towards health and patients need to be held accountable. No one can be more responsible for one's health than the patients themselves.

iMD

MS AWESOME
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
patients? accountable? that's outright laughable. everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems, accountability has to place in the healthcare industry, especially not for patients themselves!

MOHS_01

audemus jura nostra defendere
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2005
the old rickhouse
Status
Attending Physician
Welcome to the brave new world -- all ills are the result of problems of the system, not the individual. All success is due to the system, not the individual. Therein lies the reasoning behind the populist wealth redistribution and confiscatory policies that are the flavor of the day...

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
I wholeheartedly agree. This is the "big thinking" that Obama should be doing. It's not like taxing candy and cigarettes or rewarding exercise is any more extreme than socializing our entire system and charging everyone for it. Hell, why not give everyone universal access to treadmills and exercise machines?

This is an awesome example of how effective pt accountability can be fiscally: How Safeway is Cutting Health-Care Costs.

allendo

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
Status
I wholeheartedly agree. This is the "big thinking" that Obama should be doing. It's not like taxing candy and cigarettes or rewarding exercise is any more extreme than socializing our entire system and charging everyone for it. Hell, why not give everyone universal access to treadmills and exercise machines?

This is an awesome example of how effective pt accountability can be fiscally: How Safeway is Cutting Health-Care Costs.
Hell yeah! I'm down for the universal golds gym membership with a new pair of newton running shoes every 6 months. Now that's change I can believe in