Hey guys,

I was just wondering about your opinions on joining the patient advisory council at a hospital I volunteer at. I want to do it and will if I get the offer after the interview, but I was also wondering if this would be something that would be great on an app. My responsibilities would be to advocate for patients to improve the quality of care they receive. I didn't know something like this existed, so I am pretty excited.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Hey guys,

I was just wondering about your opinions on joining the patient advisory council at a hospital I volunteer at. I want to do it and will if I get the offer after the interview, but I was also wondering if this would be something that would be great on an app. My responsibilities would be to advocate for patients to improve the quality of care they receive. I didn't know something like this existed, so I am pretty excited.
It is novel which is good -- we get tired sometimes of the same old thing. It sounds like you actually communicate with both patients and care providers and/or administrators which is excellent and you get some insights into patients' circumstances, their gripes and the hospital's policies and processes. And the most important thing: you are excited about it!

OP

It is novel which is good -- we get tired sometimes of the same old thing. It sounds like you actually communicate with both patients and care providers and/or administrators which is excellent and you get some insights into patients' circumstances, their gripes and the hospital's policies and processes. And the most important thing: you are excited about it!
Yes, I would directly communicate with all 3, which is really cool. And my volunteer position already gives me a lot of insight into some of the failures of my hospitals system, since most of the patients feel safe talking to me about their issues. I actually had a guy pretty much tell me his whole life story the other day along with what he disliked about his stay so far during my last shift. I did not even consider some of the issues he described, so getting more of a chance to talk to administration and physicians would really help improve the system in place, I think.

I was really lucky my volunteer coordinators recommended me. They said that I get along really well with patients and they think this would be a good opportunity for me. Thanks for the input, I thought this might be a somewhat unique opportunity.

BombsAway

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Hey guys,

I'm just here to say I miss wrestling.

Reactions: danman794
OP

I'm just here to say I miss wrestling.
Same, I am going to try an assistant coach this season at a HS close to my work. I am definitely not in shape to wrestle college aged guys anymore :rofl:

OP

Update: I got the position, and apparently, I will be the youngest on the council by a good 20-30 years :rofl:First meeting is next week, I am pretty excited

Reactions: LizzyM