JohnnyJ

Is my mask on straight?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
I thought they passed caps on puntive damages in Texas?

Seems kinda BS to me to blacklist patients and not the sellout docs that go around backing whatever horsecrap science the trail lawyers use to extort money out of the insurance companies and from us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/05/national/05DOCT.html

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
cut and paste please.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
If you read this extremely biased article, it only mentions people who have been blacklisted by doctors who have won lawsuits based on real malpractice.

The truth is that most malpractice suits have NO merit, and that most actual medical malpractice is never acted upon legally. And yes, I think doctors have a right to know if they have a patient who is lawsuit-trigger-happy. Some patients will consistantly sue doctors whether or not any mistakes were made in their care, and are constantly shopping for new doctor-victims.

Unfortunately in EM we don't have a choice about who we treat. Patients scream at us, call us names, and we still have an ethical and legal obligation to treat. I believe strongly in my duty to care for all patients, but that doesn't mean that a lot of them don't piss me off.

I don't and won't blacklist but many times I wish I could.

I wish I could tell my frequent-flier drunks and drug-abusers to take a hike sometimes, when I know they are lying about their belly pain/chest pain/seizures/headache in order to get a bed and food and attention by doctors and nurses. These same folks would happily sue me if they could despite the fact they pay nothing for their care and are often verbally and physically abusive. And when I discharge or admit them today, they'll be back tomorrow with the same complaint.

About the Ads

DrKnowItAll

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Visit: http://www.doctorsknow.us

"DoctorsKnow.Us is physician designed, owned and operated. DoctorsKnow.Us began operation in November, 2003 as the first company that profiles medical malpractice plaintiffs, plaintiff attorneys and expert witnesses. This valuable information is obtained from the public record. Bringing personal responsibility for litigious conduct is the goal of DoctorsKnow.Us and our subscribers"

About time.

Eidolon6

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Don't worry too much about the bias of the article. The NY Times, as of late, has not been very credible and is a reflection of liberal media in print. Just like a bunch of New Yorkers to criticize Texas...

mdblue

15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
The place I work maintains a list for frequent-flyers visiting the ER(kinda blocking list) which I think helps me to make those difficult judgement calls and weed out unnecessary admissions, thus utilizing resources more appropriately.
Technically and ethically this is Ok-these are all public domain information.I would love to have a heads-up on my future patients when I'll be setting up my own practice and I guess, patient(?client/consumer)-physician(?health care provider) relationship is not that sacred any more.
My 0.02
:thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.