Patient cap for Internal Medicine DO programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bojourquez Castillo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that this topic has been discussed in the past. However, the new ACGME changes to work hours for MD interns and the merger between MD and DO coming soon raises questions. For MD programs, is there still a 10 patient per day cap for interns and 20 for seniors for ongoing medical care? Is there still an admission cap of 5 patients/24 hours and 8 in 48 hours for interns? I have been looking on the ACGME website and cannot find cap limits anymore. Does this cap extend to DO programs? I saw on the AOA website that, like MDs, they also cannot work more than a total of 80 hours/week averaged over a 4 week period. However, I was unable to find anything about total pt load per day on their website either. I would guess that if DO residents are working the same hours as MDs, then they would have the same cap limits as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that this topic has been discussed in the past. However, the new ACGME changes to work hours for MD interns and the merger between MD and DO coming soon raises questions. For MD programs, is there still a 10 patient per day cap for interns and 20 for seniors for ongoing medical care? Is there still an admission cap of 5 patients/24 hours and 8 in 48 hours for interns? I have been looking on the ACGME website and cannot find cap limits anymore. Does this cap extend to DO programs? I saw on the AOA website that, like MDs, they also cannot work more than a total of 80 hours/week averaged over a 4 week period. However, I was unable to find anything about total pt load per day on their website either. I would guess that if DO residents are working the same hours as MDs, then they would have the same cap limits as well?
http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/140_internal_medicine_2017-07-01.pdf

The relevant section starts near the end on page 3.

I have no clue if any of it applies to AOA programs that have not yet obtained dual accreditation. Somehow I doubt it.

http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/140_internal_medicine_2017-07-01.pdf

The relevant section starts near the end on page 3.

I have no clue if any of it applies to AOA programs that have not yet obtained dual accreditation. Somehow I doubt it.
It doesn't apply to AOA programs that haven't obtained dual accreditation, but the AOA has its own standards that I can't remember off the top of my head. They're fairly similar overall. I wouldn't stress, OP.