Patient Care Tech vs. Nursing Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c0mpletec0ntrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to come to the great minds of SDN for my most recent quandary... I'm wondering when the time comes to apply to med school in a couple years whether I should call my current position "PCT" or "nursing assistant"? At my hospital we're called both (typically "co-worker"), but maybe its just the unit I'm in? After checking out previous posts on the subject there seems to be an overwhelming feeling that PCT is higher up on the food chain than a nursing assistant. I would like to place whatever sounds better on my resume for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with "Patient Care Tech" for the simple reason that the name implies that you've had lots of patient contact. Good luck to you! :luck:

I decided to come to the great minds of SDN for my most recent quandary... I'm wondering when the time comes to apply to med school in a couple years whether I should call my current position "PCT" or "nursing assistant"? At my hospital we're called both (typically "co-worker"), but maybe its just the unit I'm in? After checking out previous posts on the subject there seems to be an overwhelming feeling that PCT is higher up on the food chain than a nursing assistant. I would like to place whatever sounds better on my resume for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance!

What's wrong with "Orderly" or "Scut-Master"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the old timers (the kind who tend to serve on adcoms) know what an orderly is and what they do. Back in the day orderlies were always men. A nurse's aide (now a nursing assistant) was the female equivalent. Patient Care Technician sounds rather fancy and somewhat PC, like calling the plumber a sanitary water delivery and disposal technician. Avoid the word nursing. Some narrow minded adcom members don't do too well with that word.

I called myself a nursing assistant. At my nursing home we are called CNAs (Certified Nursing Assistants). I think nursing assistant sounds better than patient care tech!