SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Patient Care Tech vs. Nursing Assistant

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by c0mpletec0ntrol, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. c0mpletec0ntrol

    c0mpletec0ntrol 2+ Year Member

    Mar 9, 2007
    I decided to come to the great minds of SDN for my most recent quandary... I'm wondering when the time comes to apply to med school in a couple years whether I should call my current position "PCT" or "nursing assistant"? At my hospital we're called both (typically "co-worker"), but maybe its just the unit I'm in? After checking out previous posts on the subject there seems to be an overwhelming feeling that PCT is higher up on the food chain than a nursing assistant. I would like to place whatever sounds better on my resume for obvious reasons. Any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BellyDancingDoc

    BellyDancingDoc Rump Shaker 5+ Year Member

    Mar 13, 2006
    I'd go with "Patient Care Tech" for the simple reason that the name implies that you've had lots of patient contact. Good luck to you! :luck:

  4. NickRiviera

    NickRiviera MS-Never 2+ Year Member

    Feb 1, 2007
    Springfield, IL
    What's wrong with "Orderly" or "Scut-Master"?
  5. c0mpletec0ntrol

    c0mpletec0ntrol 2+ Year Member

    Mar 9, 2007
    You make a good point
  6. LizzyM

    LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

    Mar 7, 2005
    Most of the old timers (the kind who tend to serve on adcoms) know what an orderly is and what they do. Back in the day orderlies were always men. A nurse's aide (now a nursing assistant) was the female equivalent. Patient Care Technician sounds rather fancy and somewhat PC, like calling the plumber a sanitary water delivery and disposal technician. Avoid the word nursing. Some narrow minded adcom members don't do too well with that word.
  7. cheesegirl

    cheesegirl 2+ Year Member

    Sep 20, 2006
    I called myself a nursing assistant. At my nursing home we are called CNAs (Certified Nursing Assistants). I think nursing assistant sounds better than patient care tech!

Share This Page