Patient confidentiality in the personal statement?

Sarak510

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm getting ready to redo my personal statement....argggggg...anyways I wanted to talk about a couple patients I met at the Clinical Center where I did research, but is it breaching HIPAA if I mention their family religious background, but not use their names at all? And if I change their names do I have to mention it?
Thanks.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm getting ready to redo my personal statement....argggggg...anyways I wanted to talk about a couple patients I met at the Clinical Center where I did research, but is it breaching HIPAA if I mention their family religious background, but not use their names at all? And if I change their names do I have to mention it?
Thanks.

I talked about my patients in my personal statements. I think it's okay as long as you don't use personally identifying information that can be traced back to the patient. I never mentioned changing names, but I did change them. It is pretty much assumed if you are just using a first name.

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks.

1) No, it is not a HIPAA violation to mention their religious background unless their religious group is so small that someone could "figure out" who they were.

2) In clinical presentations, patients are usually referred to as Mr. G or Mrs. R. I suggest that you do the same and call them Mr. & Mrs. Q (or whatever).

About the Ads

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Status (Visible)
good points. I would refrain from putting Mr. Smith just in case somebody doesn't get it. Is it possible to write it without mentioning the religion by name? Could you say pt. x for religious reasons felt this way, etc....?

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Mizzou Med
Status (Visible)
I talked about my experiences with patient "Mr. T" in my personal statement. I hope that doesn't get me into trouble.

mr-t.jpg

aspiring med

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
first names are fine ie "Mary" or "John". I recommend changing names, and you dont need to say names have been changed. specify religion if it's important to your story, and i doubt naming the religion will ID your pts. if you think it would, have some people, MDs or teachers, read your PS and evaluate whether it is too revealing.

^^ I agree. Just change their names (but don't even mention that you did) to something benign.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.