Patient exposure / Shadowing in Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stylish42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a pre-med in Houston. Also working full time and volunteering 3h a week at the local hospital.
I am looking for recommendations how to find a physician to shadow in this city.
Also, what are some other ways/locations that have worked for getting the patient exposure and clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I would start with your own PCP if you have one and ask if you can shadow. Then you can ask him or her for recommendations on other docs to shadow. I ended up just having to cold call a bunch of different offices.

Last edited:
Can scribes work part time on weekends and at night also? What is the pay?

Members don't see this ad :)
My company lets you set your availability throughout the week and I know a lot of people who try to only work weekends. I work in an ER so we have shifts all throughout the day and overnight. I think the pay depends on your area, but I hear from most people that it's between minimum wage and around $10. The money is definitely not why I took the job.

Shadowing, as other non trads have pointed out, is perhaps the hardest part of the premed journey. Carbon NMR? Easy. Chromatin remodeling? No problem. Finding a doc to let you shadow......this has literally been the most work so far, lol.

Thanks for the ideas. I did not email any of my physicians because i thought it might be awkward and inappropriate. But I guess they have all been through the same and should understand...

The scribe, EMT, CNA and similar all look like they would take about a year or more of classes before a certificate is awarded. At least from what I saw at the HCC and Lone Star web sites. Am I missing something and these certifications are not necessary?
ScribeAmerica seems to want a two year commitment...

Build rapport with the doctors at your hospital then simply ask them. Make sure the hospital allows it first.

Most scribe companies don't require a certification or prior classes. I also like that scribing lets you see the whole process of patient care from a doctor's perspective. Scribe America has their own internal training so a certificate isn't necessary. Scribe America wants a two year commitment, but I know a lot of people who leave before their 2 years are up and it's no big deal.

Great! Thank you.
I will definitely look into the scribe work some more and email local hospitals/physicians for shadowing.

If email doesn't work, you might want to try calling the offices and even going in person. And be persistent! It took me forever to find a doctor to shadow.

My company lets you set your availability throughout the week and I know a lot of people who try to only work weekends. I work in an ER so we have shifts all throughout the day and overnight. I think the pay depends on your area, but I hear from most people that it's between minimum wage and around $10. The money is definitely not why I took the job.
Who is your company? I want to see if they have any openings in Houston.

I'd start with Scribe America. Then you can try Phys Assist or Elite Scribes. I believe they all have Houston area hospitals

Thanks for the ideas. I did not email any of my physicians because i thought it might be awkward and inappropriate. But I guess they have all been through the same and should understand...

The scribe, EMT, CNA and similar all look like they would take about a year or more of classes before a certificate is awarded. At least from what I saw at the HCC and Lone Star web sites. Am I missing something and these certifications are not necessary?
ScribeAmerica seems to want a two year commitment...
A year for a CNA would be stupid. I can't even imagine what there is to talk about for a year when it comes to assisting a nurse. I am in a 4 week CNA class here in Georgia. I was hired on the condition that I would earn my CNA while working and it's really simple for the most part.

Agree with checking with your own doctor first. If you're uncomfortable you can do a little lead in/fishing and just say you're looking for physicians to shadow and do they know of any docs that might be open to it.

The other option is to try to use your volunteering position to network and meet physicians to shadow. This can be a goid route because you've usually got some HIPAA training and that removes one potential roadblock. If you don't have direct access to a doc, you can observe who you do have direct access to that does have direct access to docs with a good relationship, say a nurse you work with. Be good at your volunteering, have pos interactions with the nurse, then ask if she thinks there might be a doc you can shadow.

There also might be some atypical routes you can use. For example, my local hospital didn't really have an (official) option to shadow doc. But it did have an option to shadow health professions (included a bunch of things except docs). I decided to do it anyway and it was pretty neat and informative. I shadowed a floor nurse, a histotech, a rad tech, a dosimetrist, met a medical physicist, and oncology nurses at the infusion center. I was respectful and showed a genuine in learning about each of these paths. When I mentioned I was in school to be a clinical lab scientist but thinking about maybe going to medical school after working for a bit the following things happened:

the floor nurse told me to make sure to treat nurses nicely, and i said my best friend was an RN and that I was pretty sure after being an allied health worker I wouldn't have trouble treating them with respect, she said good point and asked tried to hook me up with a doc to shadow, but the resident was elsewhere during my time there

The histotech hooked me up with a pathologist who spent an hour talking to me, then gave me his card. Another pathologist popped his head in and asked if I wanted to look at some cool stuff and we sat at a two headed scope and looked at a breast biopsy, a pap smear, and a lung biopsy together. He talked to me for quite awhile as well. It was pretty awesome.

i had a really great experience with the oncology nurses, had some lengthy discussiins about the specific challenges in their field. Then they told me I should meet the radiation oncologist and after he got done with his patient, he took time out of his busy day to talk to me about his field and gave me his card if I had any more questiins or wanted to come back another time.

Lastly, I did a research associate program in the ED of a big county hospital. This was a program designed to give pre meds exposure to emergency medicine while providing the dept manpower to do clinical research studies. Premeds get volunteering, direct patient interaction, and get to observe docs and docs get free 24/7 labor to interview patients and take down data. Plus we got to go to their thursday morning conference and occasionally other docs would pull a student and say "hey you want to shadow me when i take this patient to the burn ward?" There are similar programs in other EDs as well.

take home message: be open, flexible, and proactive