patient interaction that highlights your strengths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How do you answer interview questions that ask about examples of patient interactions that highlight your strengths?

As a medical student, you don't really treat patients yourself, so I believe that it's hard to come up with a scenario where you provided treatment or did something that is actually impressive?

Maybe I am thinking about this question in the wrong way. I would appreciate your help

Members don't see this ad.

Think about your personal strengths first and then about interactions you had with patients during your surgery rotation. When did they overlap? Nobody is expecting you to describe some amazing save or gold star moment. The question is trying to tease out if you have the qualities to be a good surgical resident.

One example I can think of could be a demonstration of empathy. Did you spend extra time to go back and talk with patients/family members that was helpful to them? Or did a challenging patient compel you to do additional research into their condition or the surgery they had? Something like that.

Reactions: 1 user