Patient "list" systems: Excel, or other (Poll)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What software/platform do you use to maintain your patient list?

• Excel

• MS Word

• My EHR

• Paper list

• MS Access

• Other

• My nurse is my organizational method

Results are only viewable after voting.

Krukenberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
For the residents and attendings in the forum, most of us probably maintain a patient list for consults, sims, and patients on treatment with treatment details and to-dos. I find that I update it inconsistently and it gets messy fast. Anyone care to describe their workflow for how they keep and update a list? Anyone use different software/platforms like MS Access or Redcap, which are more structured?

Members don't see this ad.

I use a Google calendar, populated by reminders about patients with "ongoing issues". It is synced between all devices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excel for me. I generally don't keep a separate list of patients currently on treatment as any orders that need done get placed same day we see them.

I use a Google calendar, populated by reminders about patients with "ongoing issues". It is synced between all devices.

I like this idea, but I currently keep PHI off of my Google services (Drive, Calendar, etc) because it is my understanding that they are not [upfront] HIPAA compliant without some paperwork. How did you validate HIPAA compliance for your site? Did you go through the Business Associate Agreement process?

Reactions: 1 users
That's correct. It is not legal to upload PHI to Google, so I abbreviate last names and minimize other info to give appearance of compliance.

I like this idea, but I currently keep PHI off of my Google services (Drive, Calendar, etc) because it is my understanding that they are not [upfront] HIPAA compliant without some paperwork. How did you validate HIPAA compliance for your site? Did you go through the Business Associate Agreement process?

If you use mosaiq, you can use the QCL system to remind yourself about patient issues... I put in QCLs to myself for individual patient issues all the time - these can be given a date in the future, can also be given a priority, so that three months from now when the reminder pops up on your work list you know how relatively important it is. Mosaiq and aria can both generate lists of patients on treatment, lists of consults, etc... Epic has a somewhat similar functionality for reminders but is much harder to use in my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
If you use mosaiq, you can use the QCL system to remind yourself about patient issues... I put in QCLs to myself for individual patient issues all the time - these can be given a date in the future, can also be given a priority, so that three months from now when the reminder pops up on your work list you know how relatively important it is. Mosaiq and aria can both generate lists of patients on treatment, lists of consults, etc... Epic has a somewhat similar functionality for reminders but is much harder to use in my experience.

This is good to know. Do all of your consults get entered into Mosaiq, or only if they get treated?