Patient quote of the day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HAHAHA that was funny! Do you mind if I start using this quote?

From one of my borderline PD patients, as we were doing psycho-ed on her symptoms and how they manifest in her life:

"Dr. B (psychiatrist) says I split between the two of you. YOU don't think I do that, do you?"

Members don't see this ad :)
While my favorite wasn't so funny, it still makes me smile.

From a floridly manic and VERY narcissistic individual who'd spent all day refusing meds and screaming insults at residents/attendings/SW/nursing staff, when informed that he'd be spending another night in our lovely ER said to me "Tomorrow night I'm going home to my 3 million dollar loft, where the H**L will you be going? Probably to some sh*thole apartment, you wanna-be doctor."

And my response, in my head of course, "I'll be going home to the family who loves me."

It was not difficult to understand that our decision which hospital to admit him to was entirely based upon countertransferential hate.

MBK2003

MBK2003 said:
While my favorite wasn't so funny, it still makes me smile.

From a floridly manic and VERY narcissistic individual who'd spent all day refusing meds and screaming insults at residents/attendings/SW/nursing staff, when informed that he'd be spending another night in our lovely ER said to me "Tomorrow night I'm going home to my 3 million dollar loft, where the H**L will you be going? Probably to some sh*thole apartment, you wanna-be doctor."

And my response, in my head of course, "I'll be going home to the family who loves me."

It was not difficult to understand that our decision which hospital to admit him to was entirely based upon countertransferential hate.

MBK2003

It's interesting how the things patients say can get to us.

The "incurable bitch" I referred to above spent a good 45 min railing about how she, an african-american woman, couldn't find any educated african- american men who weren't either addicts, convicted felons, or dating "fat white and hispanic women". This with my ever-so-pleasant, well-educated, soft-spoken african-american male resident sitting quietly at my side! She stopped herself in mid-rant to ask why were being so quiet and "stone-faced", if we were afraid to show emotion... I was tempted to say that it was because we figured that anything we would say might offend her, and we didn't want to see her "metamorph into an incurable bitch"! :laugh:

I'll also never forget the day I said to myself, "OK now you really ARE a psychiatrist"--as the agitated female I was admitting directly from clinic was being wheeled out, strapped to a gurney, and screaming, "I HATE YOU DR. OPD!!! I'LL NEVER SHARE ANYTHING WITH ANYONE EVER AGAAAAAIIIINNN!!!!!!"

ROFLMAO this is pretty funny... keep it up guys... keep it up..

Does "I got the gouch" count? I'm on internal medicine this rotation :oops:

"I'm not schizophrenic! I have Psychosis NOS!"

Carefully discussing the SE's of Geodon with a paranoid schiz.. "do you think (they) can fit a transmitter in those capsules". True...happened yesterday.

How about, "I know I'm fueled by adrenaline, but I don't have any problem with anxiety."

In fairness, she did realize what she said a moment later...

"Do you know what PhD stands for? Pointy-headed doctors, and that's all you folks is, a bunch of pointy-headed doctors!" said sputteringly by a patient who didn't realize that we were all psychiatrists.

alina_s said:
"Do you know what PhD stands for? Pointy-headed doctors, and that's all you folks is, a bunch of pointy-headed doctors!" said sputteringly by a patient who didn't realize that we were all psychiatrists.

Oh thats cute.

:laugh:

alina_s said:
I thought it was "Piled high and deep."

It also stands for "permanent head damage"....