Quantcast

Patients for California Clinical Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Congratulation to everybody who passed California Bench Exam!
I'm one of them!
The joy is of short duration for some of us,especially foreign dentists who live far away from California.I live in Chicago,Illinois.
Can somebody help me or give me an advice in finding patients for Calif Clinical Licensure?Is there a cheap way to find patients?
I had a negative experience with a guy who provides patients for Clinical exam.I won't say his name now .
For all of you who are in my situation watch out for people who want to take advantage of your desperate need of finding the ideal patients for Calif Clinical Exam.
I took once the Clinical exam and I spent a lot of money 700$for one patient and 800$ for dental assistant plus the expenses for flight and hotel it came to 6000$ for this exam.
If somebody can advise me what to do I would be gratefull!Thanks!!!!!
:confused:

Dentisthusband

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorina,

Everyone, regardless of where they are from, encounters the difficulty of finding patients for clinical exams. The advantage that students in US Dental Schools have over you is that they can look for potential patients while in their clinical rotations. We have several friends who obtained their licenses in California through the bench test and they all used either of the following approaches to obtain patients:

1. Family and friends - This is the cheapest and best way to get a cooperative patient, even if you have to fly them to the exam site from accross the country.

2. Commercial Brokers - You've already experienced the joy of this method.

Short of hanging around outside a dental school clinic, there is not much else you can do. If you are going to take the clinical exam in San Francisco, where I live, then I may be able to offer another suggestion. Send me an email at [email protected] and I will see if there is anything I can do to assist.

Scott

Doctor Bristles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi sorina,
all to 1st congratulations as u ve passed the bench test..well,i could not...and i am very frustrated.
can u tell me how did u prepare for it ?
and rest about the patients,i agree with dentist husband,relatives are the best option,tats wat i had planned .
gud luck .
:)

sorina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
California Bench and Clinical Exam is a nightmare and I suggest you to go for an Advanced Standing Dental Program instead wasting your time with this exam.
I took Dr.Stevenson's Bench and Clinical Course at UCLA; they tell you exactly how to prepare for the exam.
It is expensive but it is worth taking the course!!!
I think that The Bench won't be available anymore;my husband is a foreign dentist and he applied for Bench two times and was not scheduled; the good thing was that he got admitted in the Internat.Dentist Program so he'll get his Dental Licence in two years.So my advice is don't be dissapointed you didn't loose anything;my husband failed two times Bench Exam but he couldn't be scheduled for RT exam.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sorina
.....my husband is a foreign dentist and he applied for Bench two times and was not scheduled;........ ;my husband failed two times Bench Exam but he couldn't be scheduled for RT exam.
Hi Sorina I was reading this but got confused. Did he or didn?t he take the Bench Test? What about RT exam? Isn?t everyone who passes part 3 entitled to the chance to take part 4?

BTW, what dental school did he got admitted at? Can you tell us more about his experience and scores?

Thanks Sorina. Good Luck!! :clap:

Doctor Bristles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
California Bench and Clinical Exam is a nightmare and I suggest you to go for an Advanced Standing Dental Program instead wasting your time with this exam.
I took Dr.Stevenson's Bench and Clinical Course at UCLA; they tell you exactly how to prepare for the exam.
It is expensive but it is worth taking the course!!!
I think that The Bench won't be available anymore;my husband is a foreign dentist and he applied for Bench two times and was not scheduled; the good thing was that he got admitted in the Internat.Dentist Program so he'll get his Dental Licence in two years.So my advice is don't be dissapointed you didn't loose anything;my husband failed two times Bench Exam but he couldn't be scheduled for RT exam.
YEAH I SHD VE JOINED THIS STEVENSON'S.. I JUST OVER ESTIMATED MYSELF...
BUT TRE S NOTHING , I CAN DO ABOUT IT NOW..
YEP,I AM TRYIN TO GET INTO SOME DENTAL PROGRAMME NOW..
NYWAY, THANX BUDDY.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dentisthusband
Sorina,

Everyone, regardless of where they are from, encounters the difficulty of finding patients for clinical exams. The advantage that students in US Dental Schools have over you is that they can look for potential patients while in their clinical rotations......

On dentaltown.com forums I have seen some students asking for help finding patients for licensure examinations in different areas of the country. Maybe you should do a search around there and see what it comes up with.

I've read sometimes they recommend looking on shelters or places like that, where most likely they will be people needing oral health care.

Good luck!

ivorinedust

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
"California Bench and Clinical Exam is a nightmare and I suggest you to go for an Advanced Standing Dental Program instead wasting your time with this exam."

>After you finish the Advanced Standing Program you still have to take the Clinical Exam, just like the rest of the US graduates, right? You still have to go through ONE nightmare.<

"I took Dr.Stevenson's Bench and Clinical Course at UCLA; they tell you exactly how to prepare for the exam.
It is expensive but it is worth taking the course!!!"

>Was that time wasted or well spent? Did you regret taking the UCLA course and wished you took the Advanced Standing Dental Program instead?<

"I think that The Bench won't be available anymore;my husband is a foreign dentist and he applied for Bench two times and was not scheduled; "

>Yes, the Bench won't be available anymore...this year. Something is cooking up in the California legislature, though, FYI...<

"...my husband failed two times Bench Exam but he couldn't be scheduled for RT exam..."

>And I am a bit confused here...How can your husband fail the Bench twice without being scheduled? Did he take another state's bench exam(Is there one in Illinois?) and was not admitted to California's? Please clarify.<

"the good thing was that he got admitted in the Internat.Dentist Program so he'll get his Dental Licence in two years."

>If he passed the RT in California given two months ago, he might get licensed by yearend, like you. Time saved, right?

Going back to your original post, Sorina, maybe you can publish that you need patients. Try the Sunday classifieds of your local paper.

A friend got his patients from hanging around dental clinics. A few patients would consider getting an ideal "textbook" treatment for free if they can't afford the co-payment. Of course you have talk to the attending dentist who must be your friend in the first place!:)

If you are a member of an organization composed of minorities(Indian, Hmong, Hispanic, Filipino associations e.g.) you may find a gold mine of patients there. Most new(and some old) immigrants are reluctant to obtain dental services for varied reasons, among them lack of adequate insurance, or inability to communicate. You would be helping them while they help you.

Never leave home without bringing a couple of sets of sterile mouth mirrors and explorers...you'd never know who you might meet...no, just kidding:)

I hope this helps. Congratulations for passing the RT. I hope I get a shot at it.<

Ivorinedust

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve me of my toothache!

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ivorinedust
.....After you finish the Advanced Standing Program you still have to take the Clinical Exam, just like the rest of the US graduates, right? You still have to go through ONE nightmare..... [/B]

Yes, but it isn't as big of a nightmare 'cause they can get their patients pre-evaluated in their school's clinic. The teachers will advice and orient them on what to do. Plus they can get their patients from their own school.

Also, lately some examination agencies are trying to change the format to manequins. So you won't have to even worry about finding the right patient, just buying the right teeth. :D

I'm sure the bench test must be a worst nightmare, than the other licensing examinations!!!

Dentisthusband

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Meggs, Ivorinedust and others,

I have had some direct discussions with Sorina and thought I would respond to some of your comments and questions. First of all some of you were confused about the experience of Sorina's husband. Both of them are dentists who recieved training in Europe. Sorina's husband did in fact sit for the bench test twice and failed to pass both times. After those two attempts he was unable to get a spot for subsequent bench tests because the California Dental Board was giving priority to new first time applicants for the bench test. Sorina did pass the bench test, although I do not know how many attempts it required. Sorina did take Dr. Stevenson's review course in LA and I'm sure that the course was instrumental in her passing score on the bench test. As Sorina continued down this pathway to California licensure, her husband was admitted to an international dental program at the University of Illinois. Sorina is now working as a dental assistant in Chicago. Sorina did not pass the clinical test when she sat for it the first time and she is now looking for potential patients for another attempt at the clinical exam. I do hope that Sorina doesn't mind me sharing all of this detail. Oops, perhaps I should have asked first! But here are the reasons that I am sharing all of this:

1. The bench test is a really difficult exam. I have heard that the passing rate for the bench test is only 50%. Candidates that do pass the bench test have spent a considerable amount of time practicing.

2. The process of passing the clinical exam is also very difficult and bench test examinees are at a considerable disadvantage compared with all other candidates from US schools. All US dental students, regardless of whether they are in the international dental program or the regular curriculum, have their education geared towards passing the clinical exam. They are trained in specific techniques and aided in patient procurement during their clinical practice.

I know that there are numerous candidates out there who still hope to achieve licensure in California via the bench test. My wife is one of those hopefuls. You might consider Sorina's experience a cautionary tale. The bench test route is not simple, it is not easy, and it is definitely not quick. If the bench test is restored under Governor Scharzenegger, as I believe it will be, it may take condidates more than two more years to get an opportunity to sit for and and pass both the bench test and then the clinical test.

Scott

ubd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
i remeber when i was taking x-ray lis. bench exam student would come and talk to our instructor and she would give them our pt's fmx to see. lots of students have found their pt. that way. i guess u can go to such schools and talk to them.i would advise u to go to community colleges which conduct such courses.
allthe best.

Meggs

[email protected]@2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott for your explanation. I finally understand now.

Originally posted by Dentisthusband
2. The process of passing the clinical exam is also very difficult and bench test examinees are at a considerable disadvantage compared with all other candidates from US schools. All US dental students, regardless of whether they are in the international dental program or the regular curriculum, have their education geared towards passing the clinical exam. They are trained in specific techniques and aided in patient procurement during their clinical practice.

About this. Part 4 exam is very difficult even for US graduates. Somewhere I read that California is seeking to start accepting WREB test in place of part 4 for US graduates, since the WREB has a higher passing rate than part 4 has. After all CA desperatly needs more dentists practicing there. They even acredited at school in Mexico, so that their graduates are able to become licensed in CA. I'm not sure how CA schools feel about this.

Thanks again Scott, I sure wish you wife passes the test!

sorina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes, you are eligible for Licensure after you passed Bench or Restorative tecnique( is the same thing with bench).:rolleyes:

sorina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ivorinedust
Hi!
"California Bench and Clinical Exam is a nightmare and I suggest you to go for an Advanced Standing Dental Program instead wasting your time with this exam."

>After you finish the Advanced Standing Program you still have to take the Clinical Exam, just like the rest of the US graduates, right? You still have to go through ONE nightmare.<

"I took Dr.Stevenson's Bench and Clinical Course at UCLA; they tell you exactly how to prepare for the exam.
It is expensive but it is worth taking the course!!!"

>Was that time wasted or well spent? Did you regret taking the UCLA course and wished you took the Advanced Standing Dental Program instead?<

"I think that The Bench won't be available anymore;my husband is a foreign dentist and he applied for Bench two times and was not scheduled; "

>Yes, the Bench won't be available anymore...this year. Something is cooking up in the California legislature, though, FYI...<

"...my husband failed two times Bench Exam but he couldn't be scheduled for RT exam..."

>And I am a bit confused here...How can your husband fail the Bench twice without being scheduled? Did he take another state's bench exam(Is there one in Illinois?) and was not admitted to California's? Please clarify.<

"the good thing was that he got admitted in the Internat.Dentist Program so he'll get his Dental Licence in two years."

>If he passed the RT in California given two months ago, he might get licensed by yearend, like you. Time saved, right?

Going back to your original post, Sorina, maybe you can publish that you need patients. Try the Sunday classifieds of your local paper.

A friend got his patients from hanging around dental clinics. A few patients would consider getting an ideal "textbook" treatment for free if they can't afford the co-payment. Of course you have talk to the attending dentist who must be your friend in the first place!:)

If you are a member of an organization composed of minorities(Indian, Hmong, Hispanic, Filipino associations e.g.) you may find a gold mine of patients there. Most new(and some old) immigrants are reluctant to obtain dental services for varied reasons, among them lack of adequate insurance, or inability to communicate. You would be helping them while they help you.

Never leave home without bringing a couple of sets of sterile mouth mirrors and explorers...you'd never know who you might meet...no, just kidding:)

I hope this helps. Congratulations for passing the RT. I hope I get a shot at it.<

Ivorinedust

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve me of my toothache!

sorina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband took The Bench Exam two times and he failed both times ;he tried to register again in 2003 without success!