Patients per Day in Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many patients per day do upper-level students treat at your schools? I've only visited one school so far, and there, the students (both DS3 & DS4) see one patient per 4-hour "block" (there are AM and PM blocks, so they see maximum 2 patients per day). Thanks gals & guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by trypmo
How many patients per day do upper-level students treat at your schools? I've only visited one school so far, and there, the students (both DS3 & DS4) see one patient per 4-hour "block" (there are AM and PM blocks, so they see maximum 2 patients per day). Thanks gals & guys!
That's how IUSD does it. 9-12, 1-4.

At Tufts
9-12
1-4
4.30-7

Members don't see this ad :)
3 hour blocks, not 4. If it's 4 hours I think both the patient and the instructor would go batty. :D

The most patients I've ever seen in a day is four.. 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. I've gotten to the point that I can do simple procedures pretty quick... Like 15 minutes for adjusting a denture or one hour for doing a filling (includes fiddling with the rubber dam and all the other fancy trimmings). So sometimes I double-book during a given 3 hours session.

At NYUCD they just changed it from 3 hour blocks to 2 hour blocks!!!

Talk about trying to get some clinical experience in.

this may be a stupid question, but I am not in d school yet so don't know....do you get paid anything for seeing patients, or is it entirely for experience and the school gets whatever the patients pay for the procedure?

Originally posted by Biogirl361
this may be a stupid question, but I am not in d school yet so don't know....do you get paid anything for seeing patients, or is it entirely for experience and the school gets whatever the patients pay for the procedure?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL... Actually, YOU have to PAY the school to treat its patients. It's called "tuition."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
At NYUCD they just changed it from 3 hour blocks to 2 hour blocks!!!

Talk about trying to get some clinical experience in.

True. I find that absurd, considering that it may take you 2 hours to find an instructor and have them check off a single step of your procedure.

Originally posted by UBTom

I've gotten to the point that I can do simple procedures pretty quick... Like 15 minutes for adjusting a denture or one hour for doing a filling (includes fiddling with the rubber dam and all the other fancy trimmings). So sometimes I double-book during a given 3 hours session.

amazing what practice does to you huh?
makes me wonder how the hell my boss does denture adjustments in 2-5 mins ,or how he does an amalgum filling on number 15 in 15 mins.

oh btw, he is been doing for only 30 yrs. damn he makes things look sooo easy.:laugh:

The other thing you got to remember is that unlike me, your boss 1) does not have to wait for an instructor to come check his work and 2) can dispense with using stuff like the rubber dam if he wants to, 3) probably always has an assistant helping him, and 4)doesn't have to worry about always cutting the ideal G.V. Black prep. :D

Otherwise I can probably speed things up even more too!

To add to Tom's list -

5) Has all his supplies at hand. He doesn't have to run to the other end of the clinic (office) if he needs some supply or instrument provided only by the school.

6) Doesn't have to run around the school collecting signatures from faculty and staff for charts, business office papers, lab work, referral forms, quality control forms, treatment plans, and many more pieces of paper before being able to begin treatment or get credit for the work he did.

Running around is probably 40% of my clinic time.