Paul Harvey and AOA advertising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brennan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of Paul Harvey.
He does this little radio show usually around 12:00 everyday (im not sure what stations he is on). He is wholesome, family orientated, and interesting. He also invokes a feeling of trust for the products he promotes...I think his target market is older individuals, but im young and have heard him and would buy and trust the products he endorse. I think he would be a great idea as a advertising tool...radio is relatively inexpensive and people who listen to it everday would soon have the words osteopathic medicine in their mind.
What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Brennan,

I support that idea. There seems to be something very innocent and objective about the way Paul Harvey presents his ideas. And I think this is why a lot of people trust his ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been an avid Paul Harvey fan for years and the only problem is, Paul Harvey only advertises for companies/products taht he himself uses. I suppose we offer a free visit? You are right, though, it is like your Grandpa telling you something is good! People just trust him . . .

Paul Harvey would definitely be a PR +++++ for Osteopathic Medicine. He reaches a population that is somewhat unreachable by other media. Unfortunately, his replacement is already training and doing broadcasts with him. I suspect he will only be around for a couple more years, sad to say. I have listened to him religiously since I was old enough to care about the news.
................Gooooooooood Day.

I'm not so sure about Paul Harvey - he's kinda been seen as a racist, sexist guy. He's VERY conservative (not that those things always go together). I worked with a man once who spent about 10 years of his life voluntarily homeless. He had learned a lot of interesting things in his journey - and one thing I remember the most about our discussions was how much he hated Paul Harvey. So I started listening to PH more critically. He actually started out a news report about the changing racial demographics of the US by saying, "The coloring of America!..." wow! Check out the following website if you want more beef on PH:
http://www.fair.org/extra/9709/harvey.htm

Wow, i dont think i have ever heard that PH is sexist or racist.......i will look into that though....are you sure you not thinking of john d rayford, that is with the john boy and billy show...now he is both of those things, but for comedic purposes (and he would be a terrible spokesperson)....I must ask one more thing---if your friend was homeless, where did he plug in his radio?

Originally posted by Brennan:
•i will look into that though....are you sure you not thinking of john d rayford, that is with the john boy and billy show...now he is both of those things, but for comedic purposes (and he would be a terrible spokesperson)....•

You're thinking of Robert D. Rayford, not John. And yes, he is a bit gruff for spokesmanship.

No, I think I've got the right guy here. My homeless friend BTW did have an old beater car, two dogs and owned some empty acres of land in the barren territory of Northern AZ. He read a lot and I imagine he listened to the radio in his car. :)

I dont think that Paul Harvey would be a good idea -
The AOA is aiming at an excellent target right now - females between the ages of (I think) 35-50. These women are the decision makers of their families when it comes to primary care and that's what the vast majority of DO's practice in.
I think the best thing would be to maintain the concentration of funds in this area because this is sure to acheive the greatest results.

Drewdo - it sounds like your friend is an old happy - especially being from NOrthern AZ - I lived in flagstaff for a few years

i mean hippy - not happy

Originally posted by danH:
•i mean hippy - not happy•

I think he eventually turned out to be both. When he started working again (where I met him) he loved the money. He started shaving and bathing and eating better. You could say he went from hippy to happy!

Bustinbooty:
While I am not 100% sure about this, I think I recently heard that PH extended his contract for several more years. So, if he is able, I think he will continue to do the show for somet time to come.

drewdo
were you both working in northern arizona?

We're not selling cars or telling the public what kind of shampoo to use for cryin out loud. We're dealing with something that SHOULD transcend advertising gimicks. Physicians should not advertise on radio or television. I wonder if MD students have ever considered such a preposterous idea?

It would be great if we could use all that money to help people instead of advertise. I agree. However, we need to face reality here. Medicine is a business and yes we do have a product. It's more of a service but it is still a product in business terms. The allopathic world does in fact advertise via HMO, pharm. companies, and Hospital commercials and since the majority of medicine is performed by MDs; they don't need to advertise specifically.
Anyway, I wish it were not the case but medicine is a business and if the osteopathic community wants to further its cause then advertising/ marketing is necessary. If you are good at something there is nothing wrong with letting people know. In fact, one could argue that it is your duty to let them know there are alternatives.