Paul L Foster SOM vs. Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassmaster99

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm having a hard time deciding between these two medical schools. I know both are great and have pretty great match lists but I'm looking to be placed in a residency in the the east coast (Massachusetts) or Cali (to be with family and for personal reasons) in possibly internal medicine and was wondering which school would have the best resources (research, rotations, grading system, etc.) to help me get there/ which school would ya'll rank as above the other. Thanks for reading; hope everyone is having a wonderful winter break :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm having a hard time deciding between these two medical schools. I know both are great and have pretty great match lists but I'm looking to be placed in a residency in the the east coast (Massachusetts) or Cali (to be with family and for personal reasons) in possibly internal medicine and was wondering which school would have the best resources (research, rotations, grading system, etc.) to help me get there/ which school would ya'll rank as above the other. Thanks for reading; hope everyone is having a wonderful winter break :)

Just my opinion but with your goals I think Lubbock would be best with better hospitals than El Paso + they do more research/ more opportunities, which you’ll need to land residencies in the east coast and Cali. This is just info that I’ve seen here.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get a better impression from one or the other? They are very similar schools, with similar match lists and resources.

Pick whichever one you would be happier at. A happy you will do better in school and make better impressions when its time to interview for residency.

I like hiking so I would choose El Paso.

I interviewed at Lubbock and loved it. Honestly, the hospital is stellar, the student body is friendly, and the school is established. I would definitely choose Lubbock over El Paso given their higher rank and more established track record. They are the "OG" Tech Med haha