1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pay 100K more (over 4 years) to go to Hopkins over Duke?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JohnMadden, May 10, 2007.

1. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee
    2+ Year Member

In your opinion, is going to Hopkins worth an extra 100K in debt compared to going to Duke?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

4. DeadCactus

DeadCactus SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is this Hopkins with hookers or without?

5. Davjc2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you knew you would me miserable at Duke, Then by all means go to JHU.

Otherwise, it's a no-brainer. Duke.

6. NEXUS 5

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This post says it all. Only if the idea of Duke or Durham is somehow completely unpalatable would I be considering Hopkins. I actually think Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill area is more enjoyable than Baltimore, but each to his own.

7. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Although I loved Hopkins, I have to say no. Duke is a great medical school. There would have to be either some overwhelming negatives about the Duke program, or overwhelming positives about the Hopkins program to personally justify the cost difference for me.

8. DblHelix

DblHelix Member
    5+ Year Member

Don't you get something like the whole second year off to do research at Duke, too? How can you pass that up?

9. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Come on, now. Where are all of the magazine thumpers on this thread?

These are not typical pre-allo responses.

10. husky0684

2+ Year Member

Does the OP have a scholarship to duke that is making it so much cheaper? because I would not think they would be that different in price otherwise

11. EndSong

EndSong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I dunno. Hopkins is legendary and does have the better reputation. It depends on what you want. I say go to Hopkins if you have your heart set on something very specialized or very academic, cause even though Duke is a great, great school, Hopkins will open the most doors in those fields.

12. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The difference in cost between Hopkins and Duke may potentially be even greater, given the scholarship options for third year. Despite what one might hear, these two schools are at the same level. Can you truly imagine any residency director picking someone who went to Hopkins over someone who went to Duke, simply because they went to Hopkins? The only case I can think of is if someone absolutely must do residency at Hopkins. In any other case, there are so many other factors involved-grades, boards, LORs, research. There may be other reasons to choose Hopkins over Duke, but reputation should not be one of them.

13. Davjc2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The choice is like picking between identical very hot twins. One is going to give it up more than the other. Other than that, there's no difference. Answer is quite simple. Use you head. (Pun is not guaranteed to be unintended)

I'm definitely not your typical pre-med. I'd go for less debt over prestige 100% of the time as long as I knew I'd be happy at either place. I'm not falling for any of that open more doors bullsh!t. If I honored all my classes and creamed Step 1 at my state school, I don't think any doors would be closed to me.

14. zeff

zeff Kikey McGuido
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well in that case, I would probably choose the twin who doesn't live in the crab-capital of America...:)

15. sen

sen Member
    5+ Year Member

Agreed

16. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

you think you are atypical? I am about to go for more debt and worse rank ( i dunno about prestige - maybe a toss-up) just because i know i will be happy there :)

and as far as duke v. hopkins... I say duke, unless you have some very big reasons why you think you will ALOT happier

gl :D

17. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    TBQH $100k over 4 years is not THAT much when you think that in going from a resident to an attending you'll probably take a good $100k jump in pay in that one year (and possibly as much as a $250k jump). Live like a resident for an extra 2 years so that you can pre-pay a fat chunk for both, and you're golden.

I personally wouldn't have done it, but then again I don't think Hopkins fits my personality/goals anywhere near as well as Duke does, and I couldn't think of any good reason to do two years of lecture when I could do only one and get some f*ing ridiculous research experience instead.

Then again, I passed up full tuition at the other tobacco road rival and $6k/year tuition at a texas school to come here and be at the end of it almost $300k in debt (mortgage included).

To each his own.

18. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

In my opinion, the name Hopkins is about the same as the name Duke, with Hopkins having a slight advantage. But when you consider the fact that every Duke grad has a year of research in the specialty that they're interested in, that's going to trump the slight difference in the names when it comes to residency decisions.

However, I'm going to guess that since you're asking this question, there's either something you really don't like about Duke or something you really do like about Hopkins. If that's the case, then pagemmapants is right - you'll be making a lot as a doctor, the debt will get paid off eventually. I'd say my happiness is worth 100k.

19. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The last statement is contrary to the first. :laugh:

BTW, the last statement is also a very good reason for choosing a place like Hopkins (not necessarily vs. Duke). I don't know about the rest of you, but I would prefer to not have to "Honor" all classes and "cream" step 1 to have doors opened for me. Who wants that kind of pressure when your ultimate goal should be to simply learn as much as you can to become a good doctor?

20. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Geez is the step up from res to attending that much??

Yah that is one nice thing about Duke - the one year classroom - my friend who goes there loved that part of it.

You know they write 6K a year but they have all these other costs (at least Houston does) like differential tuition and required fees that actually make the entire total around 12K...

21. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One thing I love about Duke is that it seems like almost everyone who goes there fell in love with it. It really makes for a great student body, overachieving med student syndrome aside. Duke is a great school with warm weather, great athletics, and a cool curriculm. However, Duke's curriculum is so unique that most people either love the idea or hate it. So, diosa's right...the fact that you're even asking this question means that you didn't get the same feelings from Duke that a lot of our classmates did (perhaps you got that warm fuzzy feeling from Hopkins), which means that's probably an indication you should go to JHU.