Pay in Urgent Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions

1) Is it possible to get a job in an urgent care center with just a MD degree and a license? I am a bit off cycle and may work for a year before starting residency

2) What is the pay like? It is worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

When you graduate med school, you have an MD but not a medical license. When you get into a residency, you have to apply for a license in that state, which I believe (not speaking from experience, so a resident's explanation would be better) has to be sponsored by your training institution (I believe the type of license differs from residents to attendings, but it may vary by state?). In other words, no residency=no license to practice medicine.

Also, you for the most part cannot moonlight (i.e. work in ERs independently or wherever for extra cash) or write prescriptions until you pass Step 3 of the boards, which is usually after your intern year of residency--I assume this is connected to the medical licensing laws (maybe you get a full license after passing step 3?), but I don't know a lot of specifics on this.

Yes, and no. Your step 3 registration must be sponsored by your residency program, and you need to complete an internship prior to being eligible to sit for the exam (in most states). After you pass step 3, you can apply for license in any state, independent of residency status.

NinerNiner999 said:
Yes, and no. Your step 3 registration must be sponsored by your residency program, and you need to complete an internship prior to being eligible to sit for the exam (in most states). After you pass step 3, you can apply for license in any state, independent of residency status.

I've already completed internship and should know pretty soon whether or not I passed step III...provided that I did..can I get a job?

depends which state your in and whether or not you are an american grad or IMG...

I think if you are a FMG/IMG you need 2 years of post residency training for a license, but if your a AMG then you need only 1 year. I think this varies from state to state.

GAZZMAN said:
I think if you are a FMG/IMG you need 2 years of post residency training for a license, but if your a AMG then you need only 1 year. I think this varies from state to state.

It does vary from state to state - Pennsylvania requires 3 years to be eligible for a full unresticted license. Check out http://www.fsmb.org for details on this issue.

But yes, if you are in a state which allows to you apply for an unrestricted license after just 1 year of residency training, then you should be eligible for moonlighting at hospitals without residency programs or Urgent Care centers. Pay will probably run $50 - $100 an hour or so; again varies with locale and your (perceived) skills/usefullness.